Hi everyone, I'm planning on getting a new PC soon so I can make the move from FS9 to FSX, anyway, I've just received a quote for one of the following stats:Case: Casecom KM-6988 TowerPSU: XFX Core Edition Pro550w Motherboard: Asus P8H61/USB3 H61 Socket 1155 ATX (Sandybridge)Processor: Intel Core i7 2600 3.4GHz Socket 1155 ATX (Sandybridge)RAM: 4GB Corsair Vengeance DDR3 1600MhzHD: 500GB Western Digital 6GB/s 7200rpm 16MB CacheOS: Windows 7 Home Premium 64 bitGraphics: Palit GTS 450 1GB GDDR5 (VGA, DVI & HDMI outputs)Optical: Sony AD-5260s 24x DVD (+-) RW & Dual LayerMedia: All in 1 multi card reader (front mounted)Cooling: additional 1 x 140mm fan & 2 x 80mm fan I was wondering if anyone could advise me of any major bottlenecks and/or components which would be more appropriate, also, if I am to get a computer of around this spec, what sort of FPS am I likely to get when using add-ons such as the Leonardo MadDog, PMDG 747 etc. in high quality scenery? Thanks for your help and time everyone,I hope to join you in the more modern skies soon :) Charlie Reed

Charlie Reed

i9 9900K | 32GB RAM | RTX 3090

That system would run FSX flawlessly, however - I would consider upgrading to 8gb ram, and an upgrade to the video card as well - look at GTX 570 or 580 if you can afford it.

Hi,8GB of RAM is overkill unless you need it for other programs. In FSX you would not notice any difference so save your $$.

Hi guys, thanks for the advice, the card is allegedly a problem, but I must ask, is it a true bottleneck or just something worth thinking about?Charlie

Charlie Reed

Look quite nice but you shoud check whether you can get the i7-2600k instead of the i7-2600. Also try to get an MOBO with P67 chipset, not the H67.

Hi guys, thanks for the advice, the card is allegedly a problem, but I must ask, is it a true bottleneck or just something worth thinking about?Charlie
The hardware forum is where the gurus hang out. You should post there, but two things I noticed:First, get the 2600K (K means unlocked, great for overclocking).Second, get a bigger power supply, get a 750W. Remember for bigger video cards like mine (GTX 560 TI, you need two pci-e power adapters).Third, consider a processor cooler, like mine it was only $39.99 and keeps my temps low.

Jeff

Commercial | Instrument | Multi-Engine Land

AMD 5600X, RTX3070, 32MB RAM, 2TB SSD

An i7 2600 will run FSX very nicely. I just built a system with the i7 2600k (unlocked which means you can overclock it), and I can run FSX with most settings on max, GEX,REX,ASE and get around 30 frames at the busiest airports like JFK. The other poster here who mentioned the faster video card, is right-- it will help. If you go that route, you will want to upgrade the power supply to at least a 700watt to handle everything.

Thanks for yet more great advice, but what I have up there is really maxing out my budget so if we could keep suggestions a little cheaper that'd be great, however if something needs saying, do say it.Charlie

Charlie Reed

I'd get a larger wattage PSU than that if I were you. You'd be on the ragged edge of what those components need in terms of comfortably providing power with a 550w one.Al

Alan Bradbury

Check out my youtube flight sim videos: Here

An i5-2500K will perform the same with FSX as the i7-2600K but may save you a few bucks.You should seriously consider the "K" processors and a motherboard that will let you overclock. It is very easy with the Sandybridge processors, and makes a significant performance difference to FSX.

An i7-2600K system deserves a lot better than a GTS450.

Christopher Low

UK2000 Beta Tester

FSBetaTesters3.png

I'm considering upgrading my system for fsx by adding the Intel core i7 2600k processor (plus the Asus P8P67 chipset, DDR3 RAM, and Cooler Master Hyper 212 fan). But I have a few questions about this:Can I just install the new hardware and resume simming? Or are there any software issues that I will have to perform, like uninstalling and installing programs, etc.?I read that the i7 2600k includes a graphics card function. Does this mean that I will no longer need a separate graphics card?I read that the i7 2600k "automatically" overclocks from its normal limit of 3.4 GHz up to 3.8 GHz when conditions (mainly temp.) allow. Does this mean that I don't have to adjust any settings in order to achieve the overclocking?Thanks,JimCurrent system:Intel ®Core 2Quad Q9300 (2.5 GHz)Nvidia GTX280 1 GB GPU850 watt PSU500 GB 7200 RPM SATA 3Gb/s hard driveVista Home Premium 64

That PSU is good and has plenty power for a single GPU setup. Keep itIf you can stretch for a GTX460 do that too, ...and this->>>

An i5-2500K will perform the same with FSX as the i7-2600K but may save you a few bucks.You should seriously consider the "K" processors and a motherboard that will let you overclock. It is very easy with the Sandybridge processors, and makes a significant performance difference to FSX.

An i7 2600 will run FSX very nicely. I just built a system with the i7 2600k (unlocked which means you can overclock it), and I can run FSX with most settings on max, GEX,REX,ASE and get around 30 frames at the busiest airports like JFK. The other poster here who mentioned the faster video card, is right-- it will help. If you go that route, you will want to upgrade the power supply to at least a 700watt to handle everything.
Is your i7-2600K overclocked? or are you getting 30 fps with it at 3.4?I too, am looking at building an i7-2600K system, but have zero experience in overclocking (however, it sounds like I should be able to do it), so if I didn't have to, that would be great.