Sign in to follow this  
Benjamin J

What do you make of Windows 8?

I probably won't be getting Windows 8 after seeing that. Looks too much like the windows phone, and I really hate that blocky interface they have. It looks weird to me, and since I like to organize my stuff in a certain way, I know it's just gonna be a huge probably and probably make me OCD, lol. :( Also they need to base the computer off a mouse & keyboard.. how it's always been since the first home PC, not a touch screen. If I wanted a phone or a tablet I would use it, but a touch screen focused OS sounds a bit funny to me. Even though it has keyboard & mouse support it should put the mouse & keyboard first before the touchscreen, and doing that they could find some more intuitive ways to use the mouse such as mouse gestures or some kind of user interaction. It's gonna be hell to try and type and write messages, a college paper, code, play fsx, etc on a touch screen. I wonder if Steve Balmer is playing a part in all this oversimplified easy to use stuff, cause if he is, Bill Gates needs to be back in that office.No thanks, microsoft.

I can't imagine why it wouldn't be mouse and keyboard capable. Some things are much faster with a mouse. Some are faster by touch. Why not both.Bob

Bob

i5, 16 GB ram, GTX 960, FS on SSD, Windows 10 64 bit, home built works anyway.

I can't imagine why it wouldn't be mouse and keyboard capable. Some things are much faster with a mouse. Some are faster by touch. Why not both.Bob
Both already exists and you can use it today. Just purchase the touchscreen. No new OS required one bit. Seriously.This new OS is akin to replacing your computer with an iPad by Microsoft. That's not a good concept for a desktop computer by any stretch of the imagination. You shouldn't have to choose between using touch or keyboard or mouse... it should be 100% seemless and allow all at the same time. That interface they're showing brings you up in 'touch' mode and you have to tell it you want to use a keyboard before using one. Stupid, stupid... oh, did I mention stupid?Touch screen support exists already... just go buy one and you'll see. It's there, already. iPad behavior (something completely different) requires a different OS and that's what Win8 appears to be.

Ed Wilson

Mindstar Aviation
My Playland - I69

Of course both exist now. I guess you know something we don't. I haven't seen where you have to tell the system your changing from one input method to another. I agree it should be seamless. I don't know why it couldn't be. My laptop accepts input from the touchpad and a real mouse without problems. That's been the case for years. I have no idea if W8 will be a bomb or not. But I'm not going to call it one until I have reason to. Which will probably be awhile. I just got W7 this year. Bob

Bob

I just ordered a brand new gaming system. Then I went online and bought a copy of XP for it.I want to use my Gameport yoke and pedals. Win 7 doesn't support Gameport, and Microsoft seems adament about not adding it. Besides, why should I be the guinea pig for their buggy software. XP remains a solid, well-understood OS that will do everything I need.I generally do not sit close enough to the screen to touch it. I also eat chips and pastrami sandwiches while working/playing on my computer. Touch-screen is not the technology for me.

Nothing wrong with XP, though more and more things don't work with it. I know folks who still use Windows 95 because it does everything they need.Bob

Bob

Here is something else MS intends to include with Win8, XBox Live.  :( Now, there may be some here who have an XBox and have used said service, but I equate this to MS trying to get PC gamers to use and pay for Games For Windows Live (and failed as a paid service which made MS change it to a free service). I have seen where people claim all sorts of stuff about it's abilities, but those abilities are already available via better programs on the PC. There is no reason to include it unless you already have XBox Live and want to chat with other XBox Live users while you are on the PC. As it is, MS already killed crossplatform gaming (think PC vs XBox gamers) due to mediocre PC gamers beating the daylights out of the best XBox gamers.XBox Live does not offer PC gamers anything that they do not already have.

ng_driver.jpg

Supporter GhostRecon.net | AGgReSsion

WhiteKnight77's Place

Mike Shannon

but I equate this to MS trying to get PC gamers to use and pay for Games For Windows Live (and failed as a paid service which made MS change it to a free service).
Or it could just be an attempt to get folks who may not be gamers to join up. Many people don't have a clue how to do things on their computers. If the service is already there, it is easier for them to use it. Bob

Bob

Mmmm. I do think it would be cool to have touch screens in VC view. TH2GO, TrackIR, three large monitors... Think of advancing the throttles and setting the flaps with your finger tips - it would remove the need for all of the connections between the sim hardware. Still, there is one problem with something like that - the monitors would have to be with an arm's length. I have never used three monitors but I would guess that they need to be a little farther from the users face to get the full effect.The fact that MS has never really offered anything useful for mobile devices is annoying. I remember when I bought my current phone. All I really wanted was a phone that could seamlessly interface with Outlook mail, calendar and tasks. Seems simple enough but...

MSFS Premium Deluxe Edition; Windows 11 Pro, I9-9900k; Asus Maximus XI Hero; Asus TUF RTX3080TI; 32GB G.Skill Ripjaw DDR4 3600; 2X Samsung 1TB 970EVO; NZXT Kraken X63; Seasonic Prime PX-1000, LG 48" C1 Series OLED, Honeycomb Yoke & TQ, CH Rudder Pedals, Logitech G13 Gamepad