Sign in to follow this  
Johnny19

UT 2 traffic volume

For those of you who have UT, at what percentage are you running your airline traffic? thnx ivan

Ivan Majetic

MAXIMUS XII HERO, i9 10900k, NZXT KRAKEN Z73, GIGABYTE RTX 3080 v2 OC, G.SKILL TridentZ DDR4 32 Gb, WD HDD 2TB, SAMSUNG 980PRO, SAMSUNG 970EVO Plus 2x, ASUS PG348Q

I do about 55/25 for Airline/GA. Even with my new computer if I fly into big airports I'll see a big slowdown and I don't need that many planes to keep me happy -- I don't need to wait in long lines, either! Although even at around 50% you can get in a long queue with the default ATC since it's pretty horrid at efficiency.

100%...UT uses real world schedules so even at 100% unless they are supposed to be there, they won't be. I leave GA at 0%, I don't need those little bugs flying around messing up my airspace :-)

Jay

100% airline traffic and 0% GA when flying airliners and when flying GA in areas like ORBX PNW or AU, then I will go 100% GA and 30% airline, mainly due to the fact that airliners aren't important to me if flying into and out of small GA fields.

Avsim Board of Directors | Avsim Forums Moderator

Normally at 100% airline no GA. I lowered it to 40% to avoid, panel freezes, and OOM's running the PMDG 737NGX. Since them I found a better solution (Prevent loading of unused Aircraft addon DLL's via the Manual Load option in the DLL.XML file) and I'm back to 100% traffic.

Thanks

Tom

My Youtube Videos!

http://www.youtube.com/user/tf51d

Normally at 100% airline no GA. I lowered it to 40% to avoid, panel freezes, and OOM's running the PMDG 737NGX. Since them I found a better solution (Prevent loading of unused Aircraft addon DLL's via the Manual Load option in the DLL.XML file) and I'm back to 100% traffic.
Say what? I didn't know that a/c that you aren't using took up memory when their DLL's load, even if you weren't using the said a/c. Very interesting find Tom. Funny that you should say that because I actually keep some stuff turned off in my dll.xml file when I am not using it, like Instant Scenery, traffic tool box, FSRecorder, and things of that nature. I have never turned off any aircraft dll's though since I didn't think they would make a difference. Given that you said it does and the fact that I am not flying anything other than the NGX anymore, I wonder if I might try shuttting down the LDS767 module to see if it makes any difference. POST EDIT: Btw, what is the difference between setting from false in the <Disabled> section to true like this <Disabled>True</Disabled>, rahter than setting it to true from <ManualLoad>False</ManualLoad>? In the past anything I wanted to turn off I always just set <Disabled> to True and left <ManualLoad> as False?

Avsim Board of Directors | Avsim Forums Moderator

Man, if this is true this finding could be a game changer for FSX, as I'm sure most everyone owns a few payware aircraft and have them all active in FSX on startup. I have heard that people will remove default or aircraft they don't use just to speed up loading time, or to make their aircraft search in Fly Now! more manageable, but I had never thought that all those dlls could be taking up memory space. Can someone run some in depth tests to confirm if this is true? I don't have a whole load of aircraft other than the NGX in my FSX, just the PMDG MD-11 and 747 and IFLY NG, so I'm not sure I'll really see any significant improvement, but it seems it's worth a shot, and it's very easy to do and undo! In the past I've managed to run 100% UT2 AI, but ever since discovering the "mouse fps bug" in the iFLY, and to a lesser extent, in the NGX, I find I have to lower it to 60-75% in heavy hubs. I'm always on the search for more ways to further optimize the coding mess we know as FSX, thanks to NickN, Bojote, and others in forumland we are making progress in reducing FSX's footprint on our system resources.

I looked in my dll.xml file and the only 3rd-party plane DLLs that are in there are sound DLLs. Changing them to manual load causes FSX to ask you if you want it loaded when FSX starts up which at least implies it loads them up on FSX startup independent of the plane being flown. The issue is if there is really any impact with having CS's or FeelThere's or PMDG's sound DLLs loaded and if it's worth putting up with dialogs every time the program is started.

For those of you who have UT, at what percentage are you running your airline traffic? thnx ivan
Remember With UT2 you can change the traffic volume on the fly without affecting the sim. Like for me I would fly out of EGCC at 70% traffic then when in flight change it to 100% then on approach to EGLL drop it down to 50%. Its one of the many features that make UT2 a great product.

I'm flying with 100/100 and I have close to 400 additional traffic.bgls installed. Yes, at major airports I get some slow downs but to deal with that I tend to fly from major airports to smaller airports. Low frame rates are not that noticeable when you are taking off because you typically will not have the whole airport in your view. On landing, however, you need performance.

MSFS Premium Deluxe Edition; Windows 11 Pro, I9-9900k; Asus Maximus XI Hero; Asus TUF RTX3080TI; 32GB G.Skill Ripjaw DDR4 3600; 2X Samsung 1TB 970EVO; NZXT Kraken X63; Seasonic Prime PX-1000, LG 48" C1 Series OLED, Honeycomb Yoke & TQ, CH Rudder Pedals, Logitech G13 Gamepad 

Say what? I didn't know that a/c that you aren't using took up memory when their DLL's load, even if you weren't using the said a/c. Very interesting find Tom. Funny that you should say that because I actually keep some stuff turned off in my dll.xml file when I am not using it, like Instant Scenery, traffic tool box, FSRecorder, and things of that nature. I have never turned off any aircraft dll's though since I didn't think they would make a difference. Given that you said it does and the fact that I am not flying anything other than the NGX anymore, I wonder if I might try shuttting down the LDS767 module to see if it makes any difference. POST EDIT: Btw, what is the difference between setting from false in the <Disabled> section to true like this <Disabled>True</Disabled>, rahter than setting it to true from <ManualLoad>False</ManualLoad>? In the past anything I wanted to turn off I always just set <Disabled> to True and left <ManualLoad> as False?
Yes the DLL code gets loaded right at FSX start. That's why you get the security warnings on FSX load the first time you run or rebuild the fsx.cfg file. Only the gauge files don't get loaded until the aircraft is selected. If you set Disabled to True, then you have to re-edit the file to turn it on again, if you set it to Manual Load, FSX will ask to load the module each time you start. Answer no to each dll not being used. A little inconvenient, but it's safer than editing files. Ryan, also mentioned the address space must be contiguous. So even though it may seem you have enough VAS, you could still get an OOM. Which would explain why most problems are appearing at the end of the flight. Example There is 100MB free VAS. FSX wants to use 20MB, but the largest contiguous space is 15MB, result OOM. This makes it even more important to free up VAS at the start of the session.

Thanks

Tom

My Youtube Videos!

http://www.youtube.com/user/tf51d