Sign in to follow this  
Huascar

Alienware Computer Destroys FSX (and PMDG 747)

I have run the test. I get 4.1Ghz while running FSX.computer could be faster but cannot be overclocked any further because of the motherboard alieware installed.I really do not have much performance issues and I do not think you guys do that much better at 4.8Ghz. I don't even know if there is that much difference.The only place I get some frame issue is in New York City with Aerosoft Manhattan X and FS Dream Kennedy.Keep in mind that my computer was tweaked my a microsoft engineer (FSGS) and I have every maxed out on the settings.Do I have the fastest computer in the market. No.Should I build one? I won't although I may consider paying someone else to do it.

Sure, I agree Al. A year ago I too had my machine built, but now having become completely immersed in FSX I am now preparing to build my first machine over the winter months.
Howard, I was in the same place about 18 months ago and built my current system re-using an existing chassis. It can be a lot of fun and frustration but I think for FSX you need to do it. Also helps not having to depend on somebody else. I've built 3 systems now including a mini atx atom ($300) for my daughter. Just started to over clock (scary) last weekend which has really improved everything. For my car, that I will take to a mechanic.

I think the one biggest thing that I have discovered about FSX is that the more you get involved with it the more you realise that it isn't just about jumping into a Cessna and flying around for half an hour before you become bored! For me, and I'm sure it's the same for many of us, the tweaking of the cfg. building our own rigs, chatting to other guys on the forums, they all become as important as the actual flying itself, not to mention the knowledge that we gain in this great hobby.

Howard
MSI Mag B650 Tomahawk MB, Ryzen7-7800X3D CPU@5ghz, Arctic AIO II 360 cooler, Nvidia RTX3090 GPU, 32gb DDR5@6000Mhz, SSD/2Tb+SSD/500Gb+OS, Corsair 1000W PSU, Philips BDM4350UC 43" 4K IPS, MFG Crosswinds, TQ6 Throttle, Fulcrum One Yoke
My FlightSim YouTube Channel: https://www.youtube.com/@skyhigh776

Okay, let me give the story behind my Alienware computer so you understand my situation.I received my first alienware several months ago. The first computer went bad a month after I got. It looks like the motherboard went bad.I visited Aerosoft website and someone recommended that I speak with a Microsoft engineer who understands FSX inside out. His name is Michael Greenblatt at FSGS. He is the website: http://www.fs-gs.com/I hired him to set up my aliwnware strictly for FSX. We spent several days configuring the computer (about 12-14 hours total). I noticed a huge difference in performance after he was done. I am almost completely maxed out on the settings. Performance is outstanding in most places, except in New York City with Mahattan X and FS Dream Kennedy Airport but nothing significant. I still get about 20 fps in New York with everything on max.In short, one thing I have to come to understand and that is that it is not only about the processor speed but the proper installation of FSX. The performance delivered by my computer is not due to the 4.1 Ghz or the 580 GTX but the most significant factor attributed to its performance has been due to the installation made by Michael at FSGS. I had a horrible performance when I first got the alienware but Michael changed all that.I look forward to learning about your experiences.Best,Huascar

I have run the test. I get 4.1Ghz while running FSX.computer could be faster but cannot be overclocked any further because of the motherboard alieware installed.I really do not have much performance issues and I do not think you guys do that much better at 4.8Ghz. I don't even know if there is that much difference.The only place I get some frame issue is in New York City with Aerosoft Manhattan X and FS Dream Kennedy.Keep in mind that my computer was tweaked my a microsoft engineer (FSGS) and I have every maxed out on the settings.Do I have the fastest computer in the market. No.Should I build one? I won't although I may consider paying someone else to do it.
Thanks for doing the test mate. Apologise for my mistake.I did a search and actually your motherboard allows overclocking. It has the basic BIOS core speed & voltage settings to do so. No load line calibration apparently, but if the CPU cooler is up to the job, and I guess it should be, 4.5 - 4.6GHz should be attainable

Can I hire someone to get into my computer remotely and try to see of it can be overclocked further? I would be open to the idea but will I get a significant gain? I understand that going from 4.1Ghz to 4.8Ghz means about 15-30% increase. As I say before, I can live with what I have but if it is something that can be done without any major tweaking, I would be open to the idea.The microsoft engineer that I mentioned above wrote the following when I asked him why it could not be overclocked...."It is called OEM or "original equipment manufacture". It is proprietary meaning they use specially ordered equipment. MoBos are specifically made for them. The normal settings for whichever company made it for them are either not present or written in such a way as to be impossible to understand unless you were trained by them exclusively."He got into my bios and said forget it!

damn did the alienware guy have a black mask on 3k :( nice pc but why didnt you go to scan computers they build it overclock it and you pick everything u want mine cost me only £1650 with 1 year tech call out and a 2 year warrant even novatech seem ok but alienware is blind robbery my friend had one a few years back it overheated and got blue screen constantly i think they are the ones to watch cowboys if you ask me just cos it got alienware bage on it they charge you 2k more and then it blows up 6months later then they think there top dog because they replace a motherboard/graphics card that shouldnt be faulty or cooked in that short time frame. oh and enjoy your fsx man :) just my 1p worth.

Can I hire someone to get into my computer remotely and try to see of it can be overclocked further? I would be open to the idea but will I get a significant gain? I understand that going from 4.1Ghz to 4.8Ghz means about 15-30% increase. As I say before, I can live with what I have but if it is something that can be done without any major tweaking, I would be open to the idea.The microsoft engineer that I mentioned above wrote the following when I asked him why it could not be overclocked...."It is called OEM or "original equipment manufacture". It is proprietary meaning they use specially ordered equipment. MoBos are specifically made for them. The normal settings for whichever company made it for them are either not present or written in such a way as to be impossible to understand unless you were trained by them exclusively."He got into my bios and said forget it!
Well, he's right. Dell and other OEM's usually use custom motherboard format factors, PSU's, etc... so you can't upgrade components easily. There are exceptions though.The overclock is a BIOS thing. If it has the options then it's possible, we can always try 100MHz at a time in the beginning and see how it goes. I'll help you with that, for free of course. PM me if you want

I believe that even a computer overclocked to 4.8Ghz will eventually hit a ceiling in terms of performance. The reality is that when you fly in places like New York City, San Francisco and Los Angeles, you will be maxed out on performance at some point no matter what computer you have.I do not believe (and anyone here is welcome to prove me wrong) that you can have all the settings on max in a place like New York City and have addons such as Mahattan X by Aerosoft and the Kennedy airport by FS Dream,and Extreme Environment X, Active Sky, Ultimate Terrain and PMDG and expect me to believe that you have no lag in your performance. I would be really impressed today if I watch a video showing me all these add ons and settings on max. Add to all these goodies a software such as FRAPS. It is not going to happen but I'd be the first to admit that I am wrong when I see it.

I believe that even a computer overclocked to 4.8Ghz will eventually hit a ceiling in terms of performance. The reality is that when you fly in places like New York City, San Francisco and Los Angeles, you will be maxed out on performance at some point no matter what computer you have.I do not believe (and anyone here is welcome to prove me wrong) that you can have all the settings on max in a place like New York City and have addons such as Mahattan X by Aerosoft and the Kennedy airport by FS Dream,and Extreme Environment X, Active Sky, Ultimate Terrain and PMDG and expect me to believe that you have no lag in your performance. I would be really impressed today if I watch a video showing me all these add ons and settings on max. Add to all these goodies a software such as FRAPS. It is not going to happen but I'd be the first to admit that I am wrong when I see it.
You're right. If anyone shows you in a video like you mentioned to prove you wrong, it's too good to be true.A common trick is to run the sim at slower time (1/2, etc) and record it with fraps, which gives much better FPS. Then with a video editing software, run the recorded video at "normal time". It always irks me when people claim this is a reflection of their actual performance in sim.

___________________________________________________________________________________

Zachary Waddell -- Caravan Driver --

Facebook: http://www.facebook.com/zwaddell

Avsim ToS

Avsim Screenshot Rules

Right....and most of these videos you see with supposedly "great performance" have been edited, intentionally excluding the bad/horrible frames in order to deceive their viewers. The reality is that some add-ons are horrible on your computer and according to an expert at FSGS, there are a lot of sceneries out there that are simply "ruined".I have to admit that NYC and San Francisco represent a challenge in my computer (20 FPS) but I have almost everything on max. In short, I don't think I've see anything beyond 25 fps in these places with all the add ons I have mentioned AND FRAPs running. If there is, I'd like to see an unedited video.

Now that this thread has toned down some, I just thought I'd mention that if I could afford it I would gladly pay a company to build me an overclocked machine that I don't have to worry about. I have been trying unsuccessfully for weeks to get a stable overclock on my system, which I specifically built for FSX and OCing. It's just not stable and I have no idea why. Kudos to the OP and the awesome video, it sure makes me jealous.

Noah Bryant

Personally, I don't think you need to get more than about 3.5GHz out of a multicore processor to achieve really great graphics and pretty good frame rates in FSX.My experience in the past few years of using FSX Acceleration is that you need to stick with a good manufacturer of add ons and keep your FSX to some sort of stable base.As an example -I have tried all of these "tweaks" posted by the supposed Guru Nick N and many others - you end up robbing Peter to pay Paul somewhere down the line. I had installed loads of great add ons, all were great for a while until you add another add on from some other manufacturer that sends everything to rubbish.What I did, and was actually amazed at the results was to do a completely fresh install of FSX - Acceleration, I then limited myself to only using Aerosoft products, you would not believe the difference! I also use an external FPS limiter, at 25FPS, which is clear and smooth.One of the things I found was using addons from Fly Tampa - they completely screwed with the Autogen files and ruined all of my Aerosoft add ons - BACK UP YOUR AUTOGEN.CFG file before touching Fly Tampa!Vancouver X and Alaska X also did some strange things, they really hammered my frame rates - DITCH Them!Try and stick with one manufacturer of add ons, you will be amazed at the difference, and don't believe all this tripe about twaeks and config changes.FSX has never been as good as when installed by itself and run with Aerosoft products exclusively - I am not sure who manufactures Switzerland Pro or Hawaii X, but both of these run great, the only ones I found that really made a mess of things were Fly Tampa!I am running UK 200o scenery - airfields, VFR with no problems, Aerosoft VFR Germany 1,2,3,4 - Czech Republic, FS Dreamscapes Mesh (5M) and it all runs as smooth as silk - stick a few airports from "Fly Tampa" and notice your Autogen file has been altered? Fly Tampa - looks great - go back to your Aerosoft stuff and it is almost like FSX default desert scenery!

Personally, I don't think you need to get more than about 3.5GHz out of a multicore processor to achieve really great graphics and pretty good frame rates in FSX.My experience in the past few years of using FSX Acceleration is that you need to stick with a good manufacturer of add ons and keep your FSX to some sort of stable base.As an example -I have tried all of these "tweaks" posted by the supposed Guru Nick N and many others - you end up robbing Peter to pay Paul somewhere down the line. I had installed loads of great add ons, all were great for a while until you add another add on from some other manufacturer that sends everything to rubbish.What I did, and was actually amazed at the results was to do a completely fresh install of FSX - Acceleration, I then limited myself to only using Aerosoft products, you would not believe the difference! I also use an external FPS limiter, at 25FPS, which is clear and smooth.One of the things I found was using addons from Fly Tampa - they completely screwed with the Autogen files and ruined all of my Aerosoft add ons - BACK UP YOUR AUTOGEN.CFG file before touching Fly Tampa!Vancouver X and Alaska X also did some strange things, they really hammered my frame rates - DITCH Them!Try and stick with one manufacturer of add ons, you will be amazed at the difference, and don't believe all this tripe about twaeks and config changes.FSX has never been as good as when installed by itself and run with Aerosoft products exclusively - I am not sure who manufactures Switzerland Pro or Hawaii X, but both of these run great, the only ones I found that really made a mess of things were Fly Tampa!I am running UK 200o scenery - airfields, VFR with no problems, Aerosoft VFR Germany 1,2,3,4 - Czech Republic, FS Dreamscapes Mesh (5M) and it all runs as smooth as silk - stick a few airports from "Fly Tampa" and notice your Autogen file has been altered? Fly Tampa - looks great - go back to your Aerosoft stuff and it is almost like FSX default desert scenery!
No OC and no tweaks and my frames are almost halved. But I don't "need" to double my frame rate I... guess Straight%20Face.gif