Sign in to follow this  
MikeT707

Microsoft Flight: Hawaii Only

Sorry for my ignorance, but what is minimum install?
The minimun space Flight will take on your Hard Drive or SSD.
Good point. If Flight is higher quality than FSX in Hawaii, but lower quality in the rest of the world, that begs the question of "who would actually but that?" I know Microsoft has made mistakes before, but that would be like putting out something between FS9 and FSX with Hawaii FS2012. Any takers on FS9.5 with a nice Hawaii scenery pack?
"You catch more flies with honey than vinegar"

Sorry for my ignorance, but what is minimum install?
Many programs and games have minimal installs, whether it be because of not installing certain parts of the program, lesser textures, reading some stuff off the Dvd, whatever. Since Flight is likely going to be (but won't be limited to) a game that is distributed via the internet, keeping minimal size down would be important for download purposes.Of course, this is all speculation as well. No one will know until the beta is over I'd guess.

Gawshdarnit... these threads in the MS Flight forum are like crack!!As much as I tell myself I'm not going to read, nevermind participate in this stuff again... I keep coming back.JUST SAY NO!

Many programs and games have minimal installs, whether it be because of not installing certain parts of the program, lesser textures, reading some stuff off the Dvd, whatever. Since Flight is likely going to be (but won't be limited to) a game that is distributed via the internet, keeping minimal size down would be important for download purposes.Of course, this is all speculation as well. No one will know until the beta is over I'd guess.
Hmmm... I guess I have never seen that, but thanks for the explanation. Wouldn't a company, however, provide the full install requirements?

Forgive for not reading 16 pages of posts here, but... Isn't it possible that some areas of the World are simply optional? As such, the minimum install might cover only Hawaii (or any other area) and additional areas might be installed according to what the user selects. Honestly, if I don't ever fly in Asia, why do I care having detailed scenery installed for that continent, taking up many GB of disk space? I say it could be a nice option.On a side note, I agree we might be taking this too far... All we know is that we have only seen shots from Hawaii, everything else is a long shot!

Honestly, if I don't ever fly in Asia, why do I care having detailed scenery installed for that continent, taking up many GB of disk space?
It would be :1. Deviating from decades of the FS franchise.2. Misleading the established user base and the developer base, who helped make the franchise what it is.Showcase an area you want to show what's possible, but don't deliver a partial baby !IT JUST ISN'T DONE.

IT JUST ISN'T DONE.
It is going into public beta next month, so I would imaging it is in an internal beta stage right now. No project that I have ever worked on, and I have worked on many, has added any significant scope this far down the line. They have pretty much been complete and were just at a point of refinement and not at a place to change or add scope.

Have any of you thought that maybe the 10gb is a MINIMUM install? maybe the game has a install option of installing only some regions? The only FACTS that we know at this point is that MS has been working on a game named flight, and that it's going into open beta soon. Anything else is pure speculation based on NOTHING but a few pics

Mike Avallone

9900k@5.0,Corsair H115i cooler,ASUS 2080TI,GSkill 32GB pc3600 ram, 2 WD black NVME ssd drives, ASUS maximus hero MB

It would be :1. Deviating from decades of the FS franchise.2. Misleading the established user base and the developer base, who helped make the franchise what it is.Showcase an area you want to show what's possible, but don't deliver a partial baby !IT JUST ISN'T DONE.
If it's Hawaii only then it would be 1 and 2 anyway, so no matter what this isn't likely following the same path as former titles.

The "evidence" you ask about was posted in this very thread just a few hours ago. This quote is directly from the MS/Flight website. What is the point of further speculation on the issue... Yawn.gif
Sorry, didn't bother to look back over 17 pages of people bickering with each other over a product they've never seen one moving pixel of. You should ask yourself that same question about almost every thread in this forum....it's the same nonsense over and over.Besides, what you quoted doesn't definitively squash what we were talking about. GFWL with other games requires you to login and connect online every time you start a game, and at *some* point it disconnects. Therefore technically no, it doesn't require you to "always remain connected to the internet". However, you still need to phone home to get the game to start, which is what some people who want to play entirely offline have a problem with.

Besides, what you quoted doesn't definitively squash what we were talking about. GFWL with other games requires you to login and connect online every time you start a game, and at *some* point it disconnects. Therefore technically no, it doesn't require you to "always remain connected to the internet". However, you still need to phone home to get the game to start, which is what some people who want to play entirely offline have a problem with.
Not entirely true, some games allow you to start them but wont allow saves without a connection to the server, which is just as debilitating as requiring a connection just to start the game. This is where off-line cracks have a legitimate use imo; if developers are going to screw over their user base by giving you a brick that can become a game when you have a connection then the community steps in to rectify their mistake.

Microsoft will do what it thinks will give it the best return in the future - the past is irrelevant. Microsoft owes nothing to the "user base and the developer base".

Sorry, didn't bother to look back over 17 pages of people bickering with each other over a product they've never seen one moving pixel of. You should ask yourself that same question about almost every thread in this forum....it's the same nonsense over and over.Besides, what you quoted doesn't definitively squash what we were talking about. GFWL with other games requires you to login and connect online every time you start a game, and at *some* point it disconnects. Therefore technically no, it doesn't require you to "always remain connected to the internet". However, you still need to phone home to get the game to start, which is what some people who want to play entirely offline have a problem with.
You can, actually, create offline profiles with GFWL. I remember installing Bioshock 2 and I spent ages trawling the internet trying to find out how to play offline. Bioshock 2 wouldn't save game progress without a login otherwise. In the end it is a simple process and just involved scrolling down on the profile creation screen to find the hidden checkbox for offline profiles, but Microsoft sure doesn't like to tell you about it. You still need to be logged on to install the game (for that initial verification) but afterwards you need never log on to GFWL ever again. For F1 2011 ( which is a GFWL game) I actually have two profiles, one for offline play and one for online play. When I start F1 2011 it will ask me which profile I would like to use. Using the offline profile I can happily start and restart F1 2011 as many times as I like without being connected to the internet.

www.antsairplanes.com

Microsoft will do what it thinks will give it the best return in the future - the past is irrelevant. Microsoft owes nothing to the "user base and the developer base".
Perhaps true to an extent. Netflix anyone ?Even M$ can be stopped or should I say, persuaded that this will NOT give it the best return, from putting a foot in it's mouth if enough of the user and developer base makes enough of a stink about it.Offering what I earlier refered to as a partial baby, would not be just misleading but slapping and pi$$ing off the very customers, developers, present and future, who for the most part did quite a lot to make the FS franchise what it is today.M$ OWES US - BIGTIME!If M$ doesn't understand that by now, we can always walk away ! There are alternates available now and on the horizon.

Sign in to follow this  
  • Tom Allensworth,
    Founder of AVSIM Online

• Flight Simulation's Premier Resource!

AVSIM is a free service to the flight simulation community. AVSIM is staffed completely by volunteers and all funds donated to AVSIM go directly back to supporting the community. Your donation here helps to pay our bandwidth costs, emergency funding, and other general costs that crop up from time to time. Thank you for your support!

Click here for more information and to see all donations year to date.