Sign in to follow this  
factory15

need help..my girlfriend thinks i'm a nut case..

Not to keep this going but I'm not sure this is taking off from the taxiway .I agree it appears like its the taxiway- yes the signs are yellow. So I took another look at the HD video and in the beginning the wheels are down beyond the 'brown' area. If you look a sat image of KONT that brown area separates the taxiway from 26R.Also, if you look at the shadow on the window frame its likely the shadow of the plane would be cast onto the taxiway as it lifted off.As far as the ballooning...yes that's the first thing that jumped out at me that it wasnt a normal takeoff. Are you saying a "real" plane can't physically take off like this?
No, we're not implying that a real aircraft can't take off like that, but it certainly is not normal. I can probably wager to say that it almost never happens like that in real-world.Anyway, I still say its a CGI Edited by FDX016 - Nick

Thanks!
Nick Crate
Chief Executive Officer
FedEx Virtual Air Cargo

Not to keep this going but I'm not sure this is taking off from the taxiway .I agree it appears like its the taxiway- yes the signs are yellow. So I took another look at the HD video and in the beginning the wheels are down beyond the 'brown' area. If you look a sat image of KONT that brown area separates the taxiway from 26R.Also, if you look at the shadow on the window frame its likely the shadow of the plane would be cast onto the taxiway as it lifted off.As far as the ballooning...yes that's the first thing that jumped out at me that it wasnt a normal takeoff. Are you saying a "real" plane can't physically take off like this?airplane2.jpg
Nose and windows don't look 737 like, and whose plane would it be? it looks like just a random BBJ, how many BBJ's would KONT get? Edited by Wendall

I love it...the fact that it's even being discussed shows us we're all mad...Anyway, that would have to be a BBJ. And if it is a BBJ, it is one FILTHY looking a/c. Who in their right mind owns a BBJ that is that disgusting looking?? And again, why would it be taking off 3000' down the runway. I do agree that it may be an illusion that it's on a taxiway. It looks to me like the dark spot may in fact be the skid marks on the first 1/3 of the runway.I still think it's CGI. The expense to have a pilot with a lightly loaded A/C take off in 3000' or less and then fly at a low angle to get a shot seems silly to me. Think about it...you've got fuel cost, landing fees, pilot wage, etc. It would be easier to pay someone for a day's work to CGI it. With as easy as it is to CGI something like that nowadays, it could be done in a day or so and look convincing.

I love it...the fact that it's even being discussed shows us we're all mad...Anyway, that would have to be a BBJ. And if it is a BBJ, it is one FILTHY looking a/c. Who in their right mind owns a BBJ that is that disgusting looking?? And again, why would it be taking off 3000' down the runway. I do agree that it may be an illusion that it's on a taxiway. It looks to me like the dark spot may in fact be the skid marks on the first 1/3 of the runway.I still think it's CGI. The expense to have a pilot with a lightly loaded A/C take off in 3000' or less and then fly at a low angle to get a shot seems silly to me. Think about it...you've got fuel cost, landing fees, pilot wage, etc. It would be easier to pay someone for a day's work to CGI it. With as easy as it is to CGI something like that nowadays, it could be done in a day or so and look convincing.
yeah i wouldnt bet my life on it being a "real" plane. no doubt this is NOT a commercial takeoff of any sort...my theory was that this is the plane they use to charter the production crew, equipment, cast, etc to Wilkes-Barre, PA to film the exterior shots...so to get a longer shot in the frame they told the pilot to take off lower?!? i have no ideaCGI didnt even enter my mind...especially from a tv show like the office but of course its possible. Usually you can spot it a mile away though.Also im not sure about the 3000 ft thing...if you look at the sat image...and where she is looking...this is probably 3/4 of the way down 26REDIT: I take that back...at best maybe halfway down the runway..
Anyway, that would have to be a BBJ. And if it is a BBJ, it is one FILTHY looking a/c. Who in their right mind owns a BBJ that is that disgusting looking??
that's actually a good point...why would you CGI model a dirty plane like that? Edited by factory15

Also im not sure about the 3000 ft thing...if you look at the sat image...and where she is looking...this is probably 3/4 of the way down 26REDIT: I take that back...at best maybe halfway down the runway..
I beg to differ... Let's look at the Sat image and do a little geometry of sorts. Look at my first image. A good reference point to compare where the a/c is while lifting off is that white paint where it makes a point (point A) and the junction of the parking lines farther out (point "B"). Then look at my second image and see where the line created by those two points intersect the runway. Finally, look at my third image and see that on the 12197 foot runway, the A/C is only 25.8% down the runway. If I'm doing my math (geometry) completely wrong, please let me know...but either way, the A/C is about 3000 - 3200 feet down the runway in my assessment.That's a very short take off run.... Edited by adamant365

Yes of course it´s a fake! The angle isn´t right at all.Nobody would know, except us simmer nerds and RW pilots.. :( ./ Leffe
RW pilots would never spot it, they're always on the inside looking out. :( Kevin Hall Edited by kevinh

ki9cAAb.jpg

I beg to differ... Let's look at the Sat image and do a little geometry of sorts. Look at my first image. A good reference point to compare where the a/c is while lifting off is that white paint where it makes a point (point A) and the junction of the parking lines farther out (point "B"). Then look at my second image and see where the line created by those two points intersect the runway. Finally, look at my third image and see that on the 12197 foot runway, the A/C is only 25.8% down the runway. If I'm doing my math (geometry) completely wrong, please let me know...but either way, the A/C is about 3000 - 3200 feet down the runway in my assessment.That's a very short take off run....
now you going to confuse every one now the plane now is taking off from left to right and on the vid it was right to left :(

I7-800k,Corsair h1101 cooler ,Asus Strix Gaming Intel Z370 S11 motherboard, Corsair 32gb ramDD4,    2  ssd 500gb 970 drive, gtx 1080ti Card,  RM850 power supply

Peter kelberg

Yeah,it is fake,but the average viewer wouldn't notice.But we aren't average viewers...

B) :( :( B) :(

Howard
MSI Mag B650 Tomahawk MB, Ryzen7-7800X3D CPU@5ghz, Arctic AIO II 360 cooler, Nvidia RTX3090 GPU, 32gb DDR5@6000Mhz, SSD/2Tb+SSD/500Gb+OS, Corsair 1000W PSU, Philips BDM4350UC 43" 4K IPS, MFG Crosswinds, TQ6 Throttle, Fulcrum One Yoke
My FlightSim YouTube Channel: https://www.youtube.com/@skyhigh776

going to get the mythbusters on this one :(

I7-800k,Corsair h1101 cooler ,Asus Strix Gaming Intel Z370 S11 motherboard, Corsair 32gb ramDD4,    2  ssd 500gb 970 drive, gtx 1080ti Card,  RM850 power supply

Peter kelberg

now you going to confuse every one now the plane now is taking off from left to right and on the vid it was right to left :(
Yeah...the video is a mirror image reverse if you notice. The HD screen grabs are from Netflix which is correct. It's reversed (I guess) in an attempt to get around the copyright infringement police. The pics in my post correctly depict the A/C taking off from left to right, using only about 3000' of runway.All in good fun guys. Whether it's real or not (I believe it's CGI) doesn't really matter. Isn't it fun sometimes to take a little break from the actual simming and try to solve a mystery? The OP said it looked funny. It appears that about half of us think it's real, and half think it's CGI or fakery of some sort. Unless someone contacts NBC (good luck with that), we'll never have 100% solid evidence it's fake. The plane is definitely capable of taking off in 3000' feet, definitely capable of kind of ballooning off the runway, etc. However, it just looks odd to me and I still think it's CGI. There were several scenes in "Lost" that were the same way...very convincing but from closer up, definitely CGI. I have no doubt that it would be cheaper/easier for a network to pay for CGI than to rent a real 737-700 for the sole purpose of the one shoot.That's all...much good fun.