Sign in to follow this  
Glenn Johnson

IRIS RELEASES THEIR NEW F-15E MUDHEN DRIVER!

Thanks for the HU!After the disaster that is the C-27 waiting on opinions on this one... :(

Philip Manhart  :American Flag:

13.jpg

- "Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools, because they have to say something." ~ Plato

Guest jahman

Nice video

.Why the "mudhen" name?Cheers,- jahman.

Why the "mudhen" name?
I was wondering the same thing.

Best regards, Fritz ESSONO

Why the "mudhen" name?
I've cheated, didn't know that too. :( http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/MudhenLooks nice from the video. Only thing that came to my mind was if the HUD is collimated or not. I'm not too much into the modern military ones, but I would really applaud to some user reviews, videos and pictures.

The HUD is collimated yes.

Edited by Epikk

That's good news. They should show that in their videos. From the static view there, I really asked myself if it offers that feature.

Guest jahman
I've cheated, didn't know that too. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mudhen
Yes, but why did it get that name?
if the HUD is collimated
It is (see the video), and you can eve set brightness and contrast on the thing.Cheers,- jahman.

F-15 pilots nicknamed it the Mudhen because of its mission, bombing (pilots call it "mud moving", bombs also known as air to mud stores)... plus they also say the E model looks like a bloated hen because of the FAST packs...The first F-15E squadron the 405th painted little brown hens, with angry looks on their faces (like the Toledo Mudhen's baseball team mascot), on the noses of the jets...

Edited by Jacoba

A common mistake that people make when trying to design something completely foolproof is to underestimate the ingenuity of complete fools.

- Douglas Adams, The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy

Ah! Thanks for the explanation Jacoba!

Guest jahman

OK, that makes sense! And why why is the F-18 called the "Superbug"? :Big Grin:Cheers,- jahman.

OK, that makes sense! And why why is the F-18 called the "Superbug"? :Big Grin:Cheers,- jahman.
Only the F/A-18E/F are called the "Superbug". The F/A-18's official name is the "Hornet" (i.e. a bug). The F/A-18E/F are officially named the Super Hornet, as they are actually substantially redesigned including a 20% large airframe, revisions to reduce radar cross section, new engines and a new avionics sweet. So the "Super Hornet" was changed to "Superbug" considering the hornet. Super Hornets are also known as "Rhinos" because of their larger size (occasionally F/A-18E's will be referred to the callsign in the pattern as "Singer as well), while the F/A-18A/B/C/D are known as "Legacy" Hornets since they were the original design for the series.

Eric Szczesniak