Sign in to follow this  
yankeegolf3

the demise of simsavvy

I was going to buy it...several times...but never did because of the distribution method of it. Trusting others to forward the hard drives in a timely manner didn't appeal to me at all.Are you saying I can still mail you an external hard drive (or two) and get all the 50cm scenery? And does the 50cm scenery cover the entire U.S.?If yes.... :(

Rick Ryan

Yes, the scenery has been completed for two months now and everyone who has purchased since has gotten the full product.My problem has been getting the upgraded scenery to previous customers. I had hoped sales would allow me to buy 2T drives to complete this process.But I'm stuck with 500G drives instead making the process drag along. About half the upgrade customers have sent me a drive for the full copy.But I still have 50 more people to upgrade with two more 500G batches of scenery. It actually worked well the first time around but not since.

Wow! I had no idea this happened..Larry, I can tell you that the 4 southwestern states I purchased have expanded my FS experience and enjoyment more than any addon I've ever used, freeware or commercial.I certainly hope you can figure out a way to keep it going.Gene

Larry,Thanks for the reply. Question: How much storage space would I need for the entire 50cm scenery product? It will all fit on one 2TB drive?

Rick Ryan

Get rid of those "clunky" spinning disk drives and reach out and touch a solid state drive. Tiger Direct sells an OCZ Vertex 3 SSD for $120. Or, you can throw caution to the wind and get a 480Gb drive for less than $1,000. I have the 480Gb drive and all of my FSX files fit on the drive with a lot of storage left over. This drive has a 6Gb/sec SATA interface. Newer mobo's support this interface (such as ASUS). Read speed is up to 530Mb/sec.FSX hums on this drive - no hesitation at all.fb
HelloNot much use for large scale photoscenery though, way too small.

Good news! Larry's website: sim-savvy.com is back on-line! Thanks, Larry.Sim-savvy takes about 2 TB, so I don't understand how a 480GB drive could handle 49 states....am I missing something? Each state takes up to 20 GB. Am I right in assuming that 'fbass' is referring to just FSX and the default scenry? I think mad dog is right--way too small.Rick

Mad Dog,Are you serious - 1/2 Tb SSD is not big enough? I have a very large FSX system and thus far I've only used 253Gb. If that scenery is really what you use then I'm surprised you can get FAX running. Wow!Frank

Frank,Are you running Sim-Savvy photo scenery on your system? This thread is about Sim-Savvy, so it's a bit confusing. If Sim-Savvy needs at least 1.5 TB, how does 253 GB run it? If you ARE using Sim-Savvy, how did you transfer it to your 1/2 TB SSD, since it only comes on a 2TB drive? Rick

Hi,I have Sim-Savvy on a separate 2TB external hard drive. The only way to use a smaller drive, would be to copy the states your going to fly over and leave the rest on the external drive. Keep in mind you'll have to do this (add/remove scenery folders) every time you fly, so its easier to keep the entire Sim-Savvy Photoreal scenery on the external drive. All you'd have to do is setup the path statement in the scenery.cfg file and point it to your external drive / sub folders.

Edited by Mike_CFII_MEL

Former Beta Tester - (for a few companies) - As well as provide Regional Voice Set Recordings

Four-Intel I9/10900K | One-AMD-7950X3D | Three-Asus TUF 4090s | One-3090 | One-1080TI | Five-64GB DDR5 RAM 6000mhz | Five-Cosair 1300 P/S | Five-Pro900 2TB NVME        One-Eugenius ECS2512 / 2.5 GHz Switch | Five-Ice Giant Elite CPU Coolers | Three-75" 4K UHDTVs | One-24" 1080P Monitor | One-19" 1080P Monitor | One-Boeing 737NG Flight Deck

That's right, Mike. I have the upgraded N.E. states on a 1 TB hard drive (plus the original 48 states on another 1 TB deive) and just click on the states I want at any given time. I'm waiting for the total upgrade--I sent Larry a drive and it should be back to me any day now. My question above was if Frank actually has Sim-Savvy--it looks like he is just using FSX default because it sounds like he's saying he's running it on around 250 GB. I know he has a tremendous system, but I don't see how he can be running Sim-Savvy on 250 GB, unless he just disables/ables each state like we all do. If he is using Sim-Savvy, then he had to get it like everybody else, on a 1.5 or 2 TB hard drive. Rick

I ###### up this scenery for sure if it extended into Canada, southern Ontario in particular.

I ###### up this scenery for sure if it extended into Canada, southern Ontario in particular.
I certainly didn't expect that word to be automatically filtered out. :lol:Can I say "pick" up?

"Even Ozzy's wagging his tail again. Liam who?"

I have the 50cm SimSavvy scenery on a Western Digital 3TB external hard drive (with well over 1TB left empty) which I connect to the computer with a USB 3.0 connector. This works quite well, but since I normally fly in California, I copied the CA scenery (91GB) onto an internal 126GB solid state (SSD) drive. I deleted the external-drive CA from the FSX scenery library and added the internal-drive SSD CA to the scenery library. This is convenient since I can now access CA without plugging in the external hard drive. The SimSavvy scenery really hums with that SSD - very smooth! For example, with TrackIR I can rapidly move my view 90 degrees from straight ahead to out the side window with great smoothness and no stutters (and I have a mediocre computer system). The framerates are good with either the external or internal drives even though I have a slow (2.5 GHz) CPU. The quality of the SimSavvy scenery is great. And for many of the areas in the US not covered by Megascenery or Orbx, it's pretty much the only game in town. (I hope this doesn't sound like a commercial - I have no affiliation with SimSavvy).Intel®Core 2Quad Q9300 2.5 GHzNvidia GTX-280 1 GB GPUVista Home Premium 64