Sign in to follow this  

DLC more expensive then I hoped

1. A hell of a lot of it2. All of them, many times
Thats great for you, but not everyone is like that. Me, I havent even flown most of the default aircraft, and I keep my flying around a spacific area (OrbX PNW). For someone like you, I doubt Flight will be of much value. For someone like me, I can clearly see the value in it. Thats the base of my point. Value is based on each customer. Edited by MVGibbage

Kevin Miller

3D Artist and developer

1. A hell of a lot of it2. All of them, many times
+1 I actually enjoy exploring the backwoods areas of the world, I did a marathon flight from EU down through the African continent to Madagasca in Tim Conrads freeware PC-7.

Thanks meshman, and sorry by my bad english ;)
Not to worry about your english. It's a whole lot better than my spanglish! I had co-workers who would just look at me with a dumb stare as I tried to speak castellano or espanol or spanish, whichever people like.

I agree with the forum topic...but I'll still buy the rest of the islands, and the Maule...but not the P-51. Why? First, to "cast my vote" with my wallet by buying aircraft that have a cockpit. Second, because (on reflection) while the cost seems a tad high, in comparison to other purchases I've made it really isn't. I am not basing this on "MSFlight vs FS9 or FSX", I'm basing it on some other entertainment options. Time will tell if it provides value for the money, but the initial outlay for some DLC is not overwhelming.So I am still optimistic for MSFlight - while the price point for DLC is higher than expected, I think it is reasonable.I also need to finish up building my new computer so it will be done by the end of the month!

Personally this pricing is even worse then I had feared.Before I learned that external developers are out, I didn't really mind the idea of purchasing "the world" bit by bit, as long as the total cost doesn't go much (say 100%) past what FSX would have cost, but AU $26.40 (~ US $28.40 if you convert on todays exchange rate) for Hawaii alone doesn't bode well as far as pricing goes. You'll also notice that Australians pay significantly more for M$ points then Americans who only pay about US $20 for 1600 M$ points. This is typical of many countries, which makes the whole concept of purchasing content on the LIVE platform even less appealing for many folks outside the U.S.Regarding the scenery: I fear that anyone expecting to receive a "ORBX quality" rendition of Hawaii for their 1600 M$ points is in for a huge disappointment if the screens and videos of the beta are anything to go by.What's even worse is the planes though: AU $19 for what really looks like the FSX standard Maule is pretty cheeky but the real belly slapper is this one: "The North American P-51 Mustang flyable from the outside will be available via Games for Windows—LIVE for 640 Microsoft Points."I take that to mean: The external model of the P51 will be available for AU $10.56 (~ US $11.30). No virtual cockpit or 2d panel aka. you can only fly it from external view ONLY.Oh boy...Personally I'm still hoping that this is all some sort of early April fools joke by Microsoft. To that extend I have been given a slither of hope by the content rating warning for "webisode" 7 (found here: http://www.microsoft...s-flight_launch):Screen%20Shot%202012-02-07%20at%209.58.41%20AM.pngCrude Humor - too crude for my taste, but hey...Mild Violence - I do feel violated; thanks for the warning though...

Edited by alepro

I don't think I will be buying any of the DLC. Sorry MS but my money is going towards 3rd party developers instead. For example the up-coming PMDG DC6 looks more interesting to me.

Im going to avoid the P-51 myself, but if you think the Maule is just the standard FSX one your wrong in every possible way.

Kevin Miller

3D Artist and developer

The fact that the Mustang should be free, but MS thinks it is worth ~$8.00 US, should tell everyone something about what you can expect of future DLC.

Brand new platform?FLIGHT is downgraded FSX Code!!Thats the reason why it runs so smooth...They just added 3 new aircraft and pimped the Maule from FSX.Scenery? Same from FSX, just changed landclass,mesh, texture and landmarks.
It is always nice to get things clarified directly from the developer.Thank you!

The fact that the Mustang should be free, but MS thinks it is worth ~$8.00 US, should tell everyone something about what you can expect of future DLC.
Looks like fully featured airplanes, including a cockpit view are $15, and "basic" airplanes with outside view only, are $8.What is so terrible about that? Many current FSX aircraft are $30 or so..

Bert

I didn't see anybody actually post this info so here are the USD denominations that Microsoft Points can be purchased.400 Points - 4.99800 Points - 9.991600 Points - 19.994000 Points - 49.996000 Points - 74.99http://www.xbox.com/...microsoftpointshttp://en.wikipedia....icrosoft_PointsTodd
So... buying 800 costs MORE than buying 2 X 400... etc..? Clearly, buying blocks of 400 is the way to go... jeeez... Edited by RichLP

So... buying 800 costs MORE than buying 2 X 400... etc..? Clearly, buying blocks of 400 is the way to go... jeeez...
CLEARLY Microsoft is trying to rip everyone off of that 1 penny. HOW DARE MICROSOFT! RABLE RABLE RABLE!

Kevin Miller

3D Artist and developer

So... buying 800 costs MORE than buying 2 X 400... etc..? Clearly, buying blocks of 400 is the way to go... jeeez...
I agree...what kind of incentive is there to buy more points upfront?

Sign in to follow this  
  • Tom Allensworth,
    Founder of AVSIM Online

• Flight Simulation's Premier Resource!

AVSIM is a free service to the flight simulation community. AVSIM is staffed completely by volunteers and all funds donated to AVSIM go directly back to supporting the community. Your donation here helps to pay our bandwidth costs, emergency funding, and other general costs that crop up from time to time. Thank you for your support!

Click here for more information and to see all donations year to date.