Sign in to follow this  
KevQA

New review from Flying Magazine

I have been noting with quite a bit of interest the huge difference in perspective and tone of reviews done by enthusiasts on flight sim related forums vs those done in gaming or consumer forums and the web in general.

We are all connected..... To each other, biologically...... To the Earth, chemically...... To the rest of the Universe atomically.

Devons rig
Intel Core i5 13600K @ 5.1GHz / G.SKILL Trident Z5 RGB Series Ram 32GB / GIGABYTE GeForce RTX 4070 Ti GAMING OC 12G Graphics Card / Sound Blaster Z / Meta Quest 2 VR Headset / Klipsch® Promedia 2.1 Computer Speakers / ASUS ROG SWIFT PG279Q ‑ 27" IPS LED Monitor ‑ QHD / 1x Samsung SSD 850 EVO 500GB / 2x Samsung SSD 860 EVO 1TB /  1x Samsung - 970 EVO Plus 2TB NVMe /  1x Samsung 980 NVMe 1TB / 2 other regular hd's with up to 10 terabyte capacity / Windows 11 Pro 64-bit / Gigabyte Z790 Aorus Elite AX Motherboard LGA 1700 DDR5

Yes, the arbitrary deletion of some posts (my last one in this thread) now appears to be a sport for one of the admins.Surely, I should be allowed to reply to someone who references me by name in their posts, without me even being in this thread first.Attilla:This was one of your two major points in the last posting you refer to that I deleted:"On a brighter note, Flight is clearly some sort of advertising for the A5 and even the RV. I would not be surprised if the makers of these products paid MS, instead of the other way around."The only other point was to fire a shot at the moderators. You are not being unfairly singled out for persecution, but have managed to keep sticking your lightening rod into storm clouds. You really don't like flight. We all get it. We have all been getting it for months, first in the first FLIGHT forum where you were an outspoken and presistant critic of Flight and those who were hypothetically defending it. Now you are doing the same thing here. My advice to you is to stop what you are doing and to reflect on your negative contribution and to try to understand why it is becoming increasingly unwelcome by those who are moderating these forums. Stephen
This was in the review that is referenced in this thread:
In fact, playing it last night, I realized that, intentional or not, this is really little more than a clever marketing promotion for the Icon A5 amphibious LSA, which is the first airplane players can fly when they start up the software.
So, I am simply agreeing with the above. What exactly is wrong with that?Also, it is unfair to characterize me as not liking Flight. I do not like a lot of things about it, that is true. However, I have given it a fair shake in the beta, having flown it 20+ hours and having had all DLC. There are things I do like about it, but these I do not post about, because I do not want them changed. I do, however, want many things to improve.My participation in this forum during the beta was mostly to balance the leaks of certain beta testers, you included, that - in my view - were painting a picture of Flight that I did not agree with. All the while you and some others were leaking information, the rest of us were muzzled and banned for having a different opinion. Much like it is now.I am not constantly jumping into threads with negative opinions. I choose where I post, and I likely would not have posted in this thread if my name were not mentioned in a post first.Your arbitrary deletion of my post, initially without explanation was unreasonable.I still do not understand why I cannot say that I agree with the author of the referenced article.
My advice to you is to stop what you are doing and to reflect on your negative contribution and to try to understand why it is becoming increasingly unwelcome by those who are moderating these forums.
I do not know what specific post is a negative contribution. If you look at my posts, many of them have people agreeing with what I posted. Perhaps I am the lightning rod, because I am actually posting what other people are thinking, but they are afraid to put into words.
The only other point was to fire a shot at the moderators. You are not being unfairly singled out for persecution, but have managed to keep sticking your lightening rod into storm clouds.
That was perhaps true, but it was because you deleted a perfectly normal post yesterday, which was restored and the thread eventually closed for other reasons.You can easily check the posts I have made today, please point out which one is a negative contribution and I will adjust accordingly.I don't know why YOU have taken it upon yourself to take these actions against me as I have nothing against you, but I definitely do feel singled out.

How do you get more free than the free flight mode there at the moment??? There's no restrictions on it at all - you can happily fly til the fuel runs out if you want.Just landed at my 21st unique airport. People need to give Flight a fair try before forming their opinions. Mine: good sim for GA flying, and i've still got plenty of terrain to explore. The missions are less annoying than i expected, but tonight it's been 100% free flight. The review: silly to write a review for a rw pilots mag and get so negative about the lack of instruments in the icon - that's what the icon is like rw. No mention of the stearman even, let alone the vans. Would think if you're going to write about it you'd at least fly the more intesting planes, and spend more time on the full realism settings.

Edited by OzWhitey

Oz

xdQCeNi.jpg   puHyX98.jpg

Sim Rig: MSI RTX3090 Suprim, an old, partly-melted Intel 9900K @ 5GHz+, Honeycomb Alpha, Thrustmaster TPR Rudder, Warthog HOTAS, Reverb G2, Prosim 737 cockpit. 

Currently flying: MSFS: PMDG 737-700, Fenix A320, Leonardo MD-82, MIlviz C310, Flysimware C414AW, DC Concorde, Carenado C337. Prepar3d v5: PMDG 737/747/777.

"There are three simple rules for making a smooth landing. Unfortunately, no one knows what they are."

I have read a lot of posts refering to FLight as a great tool for bringing new simmers in to the hobby. But, what are the chances that they would wade through all the; complaining/argueing,here to try to get their questions answered.Now we can also look forward to post after post of: "When's the new DLC gonna be out"Forums give me a headache. Which is why I have only a few posts. I'm going flying.RB

Guest Antlab

Hi all.I am quite new here, I registered to AVSim Forums last September, but never posted until now. I found the site and the forum rich mines of useful information about this hobby, and this also helped me in advancing toward a better knowledge of the many nuances of the flight simulation experience.After buying a new, quite powerful PC last summer, I reinstalled FSX, this time decided to going beyond the basics. For that reason I also bought the giant "Microsoft Flight Simulator X for Pilots Real World Training" volume, and started to study also the more advanced features of the sim. So you can easily imagine my surprise when I saw that MS stripped almost all of these in the new Flight Big%20Grin.gif .Anyway, I fully understand that many people have different interests, tastes and ways to enjoy the possibility of simulating flight on a PC, so I am not surprised by the fact that many can like the latest MS title.What instead is quite unexpected is the strange situation that I now find here on the AVsim forums. I don't fully understand why some people, and in some cases the same moderators, seem so aggressive towards possible critical judgements about Flight, also when they are expressed in a substantially civil way, as in the case of the review on Flying Magazine. One can obviously disagree with it, but this is equally true for the very "benevolent" review by Luiz here on AVsim.Sincerely for a quite impartial viewer is not a nice spectacle to see certain behaviours, I think they risk to alienate many users that would be interested in reading/discussing different point of views.CiaoA.

I don't know why YOU have taken it upon yourself to take these actions against me as I have nothing against you, but I definitely do feel singled out.
Your appeal is presently being considered.http://cache.gawkerassets.com/assets/images/13242/2010/04/340x_mr.show-hitlerinengland.jpg

I have read a lot of posts refering to FLight as a great tool for bringing new simmers in to the hobby.But, what are the chances that they would wade through all the; complaining/argueing,here to tryto get their questions answered.Now we can also look forward to post after post of:"When's the new DLC gonna be out"Forums give me a headache. Which is why I have only a few posts.I'm going flying.RB
Very Very true.The way we are acting, I cant for the life of me see how we can even pretend as is so often done, to look down from some great heights of maturity at the so-called "Console crowd"I hang in console and gamer forums, and this is honestly the nastiest stuff I have ever seen. (except there is less cursing, and personal insults get stomped instantly)The mods must be surviving on pure caffeine and sleeping in 15 minute shifts Edited by HiFlyer'

We are all connected..... To each other, biologically...... To the Earth, chemically...... To the rest of the Universe atomically.

Devons rig
Intel Core i5 13600K @ 5.1GHz / G.SKILL Trident Z5 RGB Series Ram 32GB / GIGABYTE GeForce RTX 4070 Ti GAMING OC 12G Graphics Card / Sound Blaster Z / Meta Quest 2 VR Headset / Klipsch® Promedia 2.1 Computer Speakers / ASUS ROG SWIFT PG279Q ‑ 27" IPS LED Monitor ‑ QHD / 1x Samsung SSD 850 EVO 500GB / 2x Samsung SSD 860 EVO 1TB /  1x Samsung - 970 EVO Plus 2TB NVMe /  1x Samsung 980 NVMe 1TB / 2 other regular hd's with up to 10 terabyte capacity / Windows 11 Pro 64-bit / Gigabyte Z790 Aorus Elite AX Motherboard LGA 1700 DDR5

Guest jahman
Perhaps I am the lightning rod, because I am actually posting what other people are thinking, but they are afraid to put into words.
+1.Cheers,- jahman.

Here's my take: Some of you may be familiar with Miles Davis, but for those of you who aren't he was, IMHO, the greatest jazz trumpet player that ever lived. If he were still alive today and I went up to him and said, "Mr. Davis could you play Twinkle, Twinkle Little Star' for me? Here's the sheet music, and I don't want you doing anything different than what's written on the page, and I'll just set up this metronome so you only play at my preset tempo. Oh and I want you to use this student level trumpet.", I shouldn't be surprised to hear Mr. Daivs say, "This is bull****!", and he'd be right to do so. However if I say, ""Mr. Davis could you play Twinkle, Twinkle Little Star' for me?" and that's it, then Mr. Davis is free to either play the song as kids know it or he can play the song with all sorts of flourishes, solos, key changes, tempo changes and all the other abilities he has that made him the greatest trumpet player of all time. However should he choose to play the version taught to kids and that's it he can't blame the song for being beneath him and he can't blame me for asking him to play it, because he didn't choose to put in the effort to play the song to it's, and his, fullest potential. I feel the author of the review is expecting to make beautiful music without doing anything else than reading what's on the page. A game like Flight needs to be explored to it's fullest depth in order to appreciate it. However I will acknowledge just like Twinkle, Twinle Little Star you can only go take Flight so far due to it's simplicity, at least at this stage. Oh and because I can't figure out how to work it into my metaphor let me also say I hate how empty the world is. Thanks for reading.

Welcome to the Flight Forum FuzzyQBall1. We hope you will find this forum a place where your hobby can grow and develop.Kind regards,

Oh and because I can't figure out how to work it into my metaphor let me also say I hate how empty the world is
Hello and welcome FuzzyQBall 1I detect a hint of negativity in that last line, Careful now it's a slippery slope you are on.

Hello and welcome FuzzyQBall 1I detect a hint of negativity in that last line, Careful now it's a slippery slope you are on.
Thanks mad dog. Vive la revolution!

I'm hardly sensitive when debating an issue, so I genuinely couldn't care less if someone calls me a knucklehead, or calls my work "screed", or whatever. Fair game, I say.What does chafe my nuts, however, is the striking double standard how members and worse, even mods, can make personal attacks against anyone with a negative view of Flight, while even tepid criticism of Flight draws stern warnings and censorship. You guys lose credibility when you don't practice what you preach. Just sayin'.
Nail. Head.

I do not know how a supposed pilot (doing a review of an aircraft) could advance the throttle and not notice "the world tilting".The left wing plainly rises... dunno how he could possibly overlook that effect from torque.Knuckleheaded as I said.==========================Btw...Jahman... Attila the Hun, and now the Blue Ridge with this PC terminology.No two people I love more in this world than my son and daughter...Both can be knuckleheads... at times... even I rate being called a knucklehead from time to time. :Silly:You think that is a personal attack??? You got to be kidding me... I would be embarrassed to make the statement that being called a knucklehead is some sort of "personal attack"... obviously you are very sensitive and do care or you would not have said anything. "Just sayin'."Yeah I have had to crab too or be blown off the centerline... so I am not sure what was going on in his flight sim world. :crazy:
I think calling someone knucklehead is offensive. wow..double standard indeed.

Personally, I think Flying Magazine's review is spot on. As a fellow pilot and a very experienced flight simmer, I believe he really is spot on.

Edited by Xpendable