Sign in to follow this  
nuNce

Best GA airplane for FSX (system-wise too)

Thanks Al, quite exhaustive. To compare, since it's my only experience with (virtual) rotary wing, how would you rate the DCS representation of helo flying to the DodoSim 206, both on a FD and a system level (not including all the fancy combat systems/features of the Black Shark)?

As I'm sure you know, DCS is a great sim, with good systems simulation and an enjoyable flight model, and the DodoSim 206 is of the same ilk. A military chopper is of course a different proposition to a civilian one, since military choppers have to be stable enough to allow the crew to let go of the controls long enough to operate weapon systems and not have them fighting the helicopter instead of fighting the enemy, thus the 206 is different in that regard, but if systems realism with flight model realism is your thing, then the Dodo is unlikely to disappoint you, and even if it did, then since it is sold by Flight 1, you could always get a refund, although I bet you'd be the first person to ask for one.

Al

Alan Bradbury

Check out my youtube flight sim videos: Here

AFCS for helicopters can be added via HTR package available at hovercontrol.com. you'll get more of a gyro stablized feel yet the package models helicopter flight dynamics much better than default FSX. can also autohover.

there are many HTR profiles for payware at that site, too.

i9-10900k @ 5.1GHz 32G XMP-3200 | RTX3090 | 3T m.2 | Win11 | vkb-gf ultimate & pedals | virpil cm3 throttle | 55" 4k UHDTV | HP R-G2 VR | DCS

Before the Katana, there was the Dornier Do-27, from the same developer digital aviation.

http://www.avsim.com/pages/0807/Do-27/Do-27.htm

It's a few years old but can't believe no one mentioned it? I guess the Katana is a big improvement.

Some mentioned the RV-7, is that up there with the detail modelled of the Katana or do you guys only prefer it because it's faster?

Some mentioned the RV-7, is that up there with the detail modelled of the Katana or do you guys only prefer it because it's faster?

The RV7 has a lot of detail; inside, outside, and under the cowl. Even under the wheel pants and fairings. I've never tried the Katana. Probably because it's too slow.

It's also a "six pac" for instruments.

Before the Katana, there was the Dornier Do-27, from the same developer digital aviation.

http://www.avsim.com...Do-27/Do-27.htm

It's a few years old but can't believe no one mentioned it? I guess the Katana is a big improvement.

Oh right, I almost forgot about that. I've always had an eye on this addon in the past. But my excuse for not getting it was that it wasn't DX10 compatible.

Now that I switched back to DX9, I have no more excuses. And it would make a great addition to the African Airstrip Adventures bush plane fleet.

Well, the Do-27 is back on the shopping list now. Thanks for the HU!

Just a warning about the Katanax4, I have it but as good as it is, I never fly it as it's so slow, very very slow......

The RV-7 is a master piece and she can move fast if you want to, also much kinder on fps than the Katana.

David Murden  MSFS   Fenix A320  PMDG 737 • MG Honda Jet • 414 / TDS 750Xi •  FS-ATC Chatter • FlyingIron Spitfire & ME109G • MG Honda Jet 

Fenix A320 Walkthrough PDF   Flightsim.to •

DCS  A10c II  F-16c  F/A-18c • F-14 • (Others in hanger) • Supercarrier  Terrains = • Nevada NTTR  Persian Gulf  Syria • Marianas • 

• 10900K@4.9 All Cores HT ON   32GB DDR4  3200MHz RTX 3080  • TM Warthog HOTAS • TM TPR • Corsair Virtuoso XT with Dolby Atmos®  Samsung G7 32" 1440p 240Hz • TrackIR 5 & ProClip

For me the best GA VFR/IFR plane is DA Piper Chayenne. It's perfect for FS2004 but i never tried it on FSX.

The Katana is not IFR capable

True (kinda). The Katana is not IFR-certified. But it has a VOR/ILS gauge and a GPS (RXP integration is possible). No DME/ADF though. Marcel is adding the possibility to replace the GPS with a blank area for 2D gauges in the next update (see here).

So you can fly it IFR if you like, but don't get caught by the sim-police ;-)

EDIT: Also note that the Katana has no autopilot, if that is important to you. Some self-proclaimed hardcore simmers in the Flight forum have stated that it is not possible to fly an aircraft "realistically" without an autopilot. :Hypnotized:

Just a warning about the Katanax4, I have it but as good as it is, I never fly it as it's so slow, very very slow......

The RV-7 is a master piece and she can move fast if you want to, also much kinder on fps than the Katana.

I'm flying the A2A's Cub across Italy, guess Katana would be much of an improvement speed-wise. :)

I'm flying the A2A's Cub across Italy, guess Katana would be much of an improvement speed-wise. :)

Not really, no

The A2A Cub is the slower out the two...well is there anything slower that the Cub? Katana is a bit faster, a bit.

Anyway...it's a great GA and I'am sure you will love it. Have fun.

David Murden  MSFS   Fenix A320  PMDG 737 • MG Honda Jet • 414 / TDS 750Xi •  FS-ATC Chatter • FlyingIron Spitfire & ME109G • MG Honda Jet 

Fenix A320 Walkthrough PDF   Flightsim.to •

DCS  A10c II  F-16c  F/A-18c • F-14 • (Others in hanger) • Supercarrier  Terrains = • Nevada NTTR  Persian Gulf  Syria • Marianas • 

• 10900K@4.9 All Cores HT ON   32GB DDR4  3200MHz RTX 3080  • TM Warthog HOTAS • TM TPR • Corsair Virtuoso XT with Dolby Atmos®  Samsung G7 32" 1440p 240Hz • TrackIR 5 & ProClip

100-110 kts GS is a nice cruise setting with the Katana. You are right, this tends to get slow on the longer trips. Then e.g. the Bronco can help. B) For me, the Piper Cub feels (and flies) way slower though, which often is the reason why I pick another plane. :mellow:

Right you are. Still a great plane and it comes with all those little details that one has to check. The detail level and graphics are very advanced on the Katana though, but I still fly the old 27 from time to time.

My recommendation goes on the Aerosoft Katana 4X, their Dimona H36, (often over-looked by the Katana: not the same system modelling but nontheless meritous in other areas), or one of the better Carenado Single Pistons: eg. The Bonanza F33A.

EDIT: Also note that the Katana has no autopilot, if that is important to you. Some self-proclaimed hardcore simmers in the Flight forum have stated that it is not possible to fly an aircraft "realistically" without an autopilot. :Hypnotized:

And I somewhat agree. An autopilot is perfectly acceptable as long as it is not a substitute for skills. Imagine flying single pilot IMC without an autopilot (which happens often no doubt). But add an autopilot and the computer can help you avoid nasty situations. Also I find trimming an aircraft in real life much easier than in FSX. If I could trim planes so easily in FSX I wouldn't use A/P nearly as much.

FWIW, the Katana does trim nicely....

| FAA ZMP |
| PPL ASEL |
| Windows 11 | MSI Z690 Tomahawk | 12700K 4.7GHz | MSI RTX 4080 | 32GB 5600 MHz DDR5 | 500GB Samsung 860 Evo SSD | 2x 2TB Samsung 970 Evo M.2 | EVGA 850W Gold | Corsair 5000X | HP G2 (VR) / LG 27" 1440p |