Sign in to follow this  

Well folks...I've followed MAAM and their superb Flight Sim aircraft for a number of years.

Matter of fact I have the Avenger, the B-25 and the wonderful DC-3/C-47 and still fly them...in FSX.

However, I fear something has happened to their aircraft production apparatus, so to speak.

Many moons have passed without a product specifically for FSX despite plans and exortations.

No yellow trainer, no FSX DC3, etc.

So 'tis a sad day for me that I state what has been obvious. If I didn't give a hoot I wouldn't say anything.

I would like to turn this trend around some how. If there is anything I can do (realistically), I am volunteering to help reverse the trend.

These products are too good to let go without a protest!

Hopefully, I won't take too much flak for this post.

Roy Marsh

I'm afraid I have to agree. There has been no sign of life for several weeks from the MAAM folks on the problems identified with their 7th edition FS9 Briefing Time release. It only takes a few seconds to check the forum and provide a response to their fans and customers, but apparently they elect not to communicate with us. ;<(

--WH

Hopefully, I won't take too much flak for this post.

You certainly won't, Roy, on the contrary even. You have indeed put the finger on the sore spot here at Maam-Sim.

Truth is that, after long and careful consideration, i have had to come to the conclusion that all the fun, enthusiasm, patience and stamina seems to have left me when it comes to FS aircraft design.

I have been doing this kind of work for over 20 years now with great enjoyment but finally the batteries have all run dry.

This certainly did not come as a lightning strike out of a blue sky. Last year, during the summer, i felt i desperately needed a long break from FS aircraft design and while i picked up the work later the feeling that my heart wasn't in it anymore wouldn't dissapear. I struggled on nontheless but the days i didn't feel like clicking the Gmax icon on my desktop became more and more frequent.

So it's a sad day indeed for me to have to announce my retirement from FS aircraft design. As it probably is with any hobby, if your heart isn't in it anymore it is time to look for something else to put it in...

I hasten to say that this will of course not mean that Maam-Sim will close its doors. It goes without saying that we will continue to support our FS9 products, naturally, and there is still work going on in the FSX HH-52 project. Production of the FSX versions of the TBF/TBM, DC-3 and N3N, however, is indefinitely postponed.

I have had tremendous joy working with Bill and the boys to create the virtual counterparts of some of the MAAM's wonderful restored historic aeroplanes and felt really priviledged to help to keep the museum doors open and the aircraft flying so it is with a heavy heart that i write this but all things must come to an end eventually.

Thanks again for your post, Roy, it made me realize it was about time to bite the bullet and tell you all about it. I waited this long because of the 'glimmer of hope' that my enthusiasm would return somehow. Alas it didn't...

In my turn, hopefully, i won't take too much flak for this post...

Sincerely,

Jan

Jan

Jan - That is sad news indeed. I've been using your MAAM-SIM aircraft since they first came out and have truely enjoyed them. I guess when yourself tells you it is time to move ... well it must be time to move on. Thankyou for many hours of enjoyment behind the controls of my B25 and DC-3. In my FS-9 days, they were as good as it gets (and I still enjoy Briefing Time in FSX from time to time.) I wish you well in whatever you choose to move on to and regret your departure.

Best regards,

Jim S.

Hi Jan...

Thanks for sharing your dilemma and decision. Not easy; but when the fire is gone it is time to move on. Hobbies have life cycles...I dearly loved sailing but after ~15 years the fire was gone. Time to move on.

Nontheless, the FS8 and FS9 R4Ds were ahead of their time. Great work!!!

All the best to you and may the fire burn brightly in your next endeavor. The community will miss you!

Regards

Roy

I understand what you are saying, Jan...I've done a fair amount of painting and tweaking of Flightsim projects over the past few years (nothing at all approaching the quality of your Flightsim career of course!) but now I'm totally burned out.

And once the enjoyment is gone the quality goes away too so better to quit while you are ahead.

I hope you have found something else you like to do!

Matt Smith

Prepar3D

Sad to hear that, but if making stuff for FS isn't floating your boat any more, then it is the right decision. Whatever does end up lighting up your interest, I wish you luck with it. :Peace:

Al

Alan Bradbury

Check out my youtube flight sim videos: Here

Well Jan, I am both sad and happy. Sad to see you move on, but happy for you. These decisions are always difficult and you will be missed. I wish you the best in everything that comes your way, and want you to know your work will always be enjoyed and admired.

--WH

No sadness necessary. Be happy with what you have done for the FS community, the museum, and your own gratification. It all was, and continues to be...appreciated. Perhaps more than you know.

Mike

Jan,

Sad, but quite understandable news. I thank you for many, many hours of enjoyment with your products.

I am going certainly miss our beloved DC3 in FSX, but that´s life!

All the best and good luck.

Edmundo Azevedo

Jan,

Thank You, for all of the enjoyment you have brought to our community.

While MAAM, the museum itself, and the Flight Simulator World are losing quite a talent, your family and friends are going to probably enjoy more time with you. That's a big plus.(Then again, they may drive you back to the Gmax Icon...Jokingly, of course)

Good Luck in your retirement.

God's Blessings,

Don

Jan ... Its time to sit back and really enjoy what you have created and built over the many years .. Thank you very much .. now to the virutal skys and your than welcome to join and enjoy our many yeeehaaa's we have here .

All I can say is thank you Jan for the enjoyment you have given me with your super aircraft over the years.

From an old Englishman to a kind Dutchman "DANKU WELL"

Regards and best wishes Chris

Disapointing....maybe the A2A guys will come with an accusim Gooney Bird.

If that happens I'll whip out the plastic so fast that it melts!

To Jan Visser: pity to see you go, matey! But be happy, and enjoy life!