Sign in to follow this  
SteveFx

DX10 Flashing Runways - Experimental Shader

Hello,

I'm keen to try this but I get a CTD immediately when FSX starts with DX10 preview enabled. I've disabled enb mod and deleted the fsx.cfg so that a fresh one can be generated but without success.

Any suggestions please?

Regards

Paul

Sent from my cm_tenderloin using Tapatalk 2

Paul Dumke

Are you using the Fiber Fraction line in the FSX.cfg?

I set mine to .15

Mine set to 0.1 and Nvidia Inspector combination of AA Setting of 4x4SS with 4x SparseGridSS, along with FSAA toggled On.

Paulnd

Have you applied the high em fix?

That should be highmem.

Yes I have

Sent from my cm_tenderloin using Tapatalk 2

Paul Dumke

No, you set it through nvidia inspector.

Thats what I've done, getting no love forcing it through the driver.

I run a Core i7 2600K @ 4.5 GHz, GTX 570 1.28 GB VRAM, 16 GB DDR2 RAM. Also running Windows 7 64-bit as well.

Normally FSX is extremely smooth (no stuttering), however, with DX10, it's very different. Hopefully I can get it sorted out, otherwise, it's not a big deal. My FPS is fantastic without it.

Here you go, Jeff: there's a few changes.. Copy and save your old config somewhere, then modify the current one with these changes. Your 2600K will also easily zip up to 4.7 or 8 at 1.38 volts - and you'll get further benefit. Make sure you check DX10 preview, and then restart the sim.

/ Jeff Thompson fsx.cfg

[VirtualCopilot]

VirtualCopilotActive=1 ************** Remove temporarily

[GRAPHICS]

AIRCRAFT_SHADOWS=1 *** Make "0", add it later

ALLOW_SHADER_30=1 *** Remove

D3D10=0 Should be a "1" if we're using DX10

EFFECTS_QUALITY=2

ForceFullScreenVSync=1 ** Remove - Do this w Nvidia driver v301.42, Inspector v1.9.6.5

ForceWindowedVSync=1 *** Ditto Inspector settings at bottom

[bufferPools] ************ Add this

UsePools=0

[TrafficManager]

AIRPORT_SCENERY_DENSITY=0

AirlineDensity=0 **************** 20 You can handle this

FreewayDensity=0 **************** 10

GADensity=0 **************** 20

[Main]

FIBER_FRAME_TIME_FRACTION=0.1 ************ Add this

[Display]

TEXTURE_BANDWIDTH_MULT=400 ** 120

TextureMaxLoad=30 ** 12

TransitionTime=4.000000

UPPER_FRAMERATE_LIMIT=0 ** 30

[TERRAIN]

MESH_RESOLUTION=25 ******** 22

TEXTURE_RESOLUTION=29 ******** 28

WATER_EFFECTS=4 ******* 6

TERRAIN_MAX_AUTOGEN_TREES_PER_CELL=100 *********** 1376

TERRAIN_MAX_AUTOGEN_BUILDINGS_PER_CELL=100 ********* 907

[sCENERY]

LENSFLARE=1 *** 0

MAX_ASYNC_BATCHING_JOBS=7 *********** 3

SmallPartRejectRadius=4.0 ************* Delete

My current Inspector settings.. here.

i7 4790K@4.8GHz | 32GB RAM | EVGA RTX 3080Ti | Maximus Hero VII | 512GB 860 Pro | 512GB 850 Pro | 256GB 840 Pro | 2TB 860 QVO | 1TB 870 EVO | Seagate 3TB Cloud | EVGA 1000 GQ | Win10 Pro | EK Custom water cooling.

Hi guys I tried this tweak and can't believe the performance gain I'm getting. The only issue I have is the water. I can't get it to look right. It is a milky light blue. I have tried everything I know to fix it but with no luck. Anybody have any suggestions.

Josh

CPU: Intel i9-11900K @5.2 / RAM: 32GB DDR4 3200 / GPU: 4080 16GB /

Hi guys I tried this tweak and can't believe the performance gain I'm getting. The only issue I have is the water. I can't get it to look right. It is a milky light blue. I have tried everything I know to fix it but with no luck. Anybody have any suggestions.

Josh

Are you using REX? If you are, try checking the Dx10 optimizations in the REX configurations panel...

There is a lite version of the fswc program that includes a revised dx10 shader. You could look at that.

Hey Paul,

I followed your instructions to the letter, unfortunately, I'm still getting 30 FPS as opposed to 60 FPS. I might just stick with DirectX 9 for now. Thanks though.

That's rough, Jeff. Something weird is going on, as nobody I know is getting 60 frames from FSX, either DX 9 or 10. You must have no or very low clouds, traffic and/or scenery to get that.

@Josh - RedBaron and Steve have the answer. I've played with both and you can indeed find a satisfactory water, texture, color and motion... well, ok - I had to fiddle for a while. Thing is - DX10 has made it now like a newer sim, so we should expect normal things that worked in in DX9, perhaps to work a bit differently in 10. Now they need to be "fettled", and once fettled, with help from people like Steve, and some good input from other folks - the sim will likely be a lot better. For a good number of folks reading these posts, and the guys actively participating - that has already happened. DX10 has - in almost all cases - been smoother with slightly better graphics. The hurdle was always the flashing runways - I/we couldn't handle that, so it was left 'dormant' as it were. Now I see it coming to life - flashing gone.. fences 'mended'.. lights being fixed.. other issues being worked out.. A lot of enthusiasm being generated here, and we just might end up with a better sim altogether. I don't want to pay $50 for P3D if I don't have to!

@Steve:

There is a lite version of the fswc program that includes a revised dx10 shader.

I did not know this, Steve. Ta very much! . More fettling.... :smile:

i7 4790K@4.8GHz | 32GB RAM | EVGA RTX 3080Ti | Maximus Hero VII | 512GB 860 Pro | 512GB 850 Pro | 256GB 840 Pro | 2TB 860 QVO | 1TB 870 EVO | Seagate 3TB Cloud | EVGA 1000 GQ | Win10 Pro | EK Custom water cooling.

I got it. Deleted the AffinityMask line from the CFG file and changed it via Windows instead. Now the FPS is much higher.

Edit: Spoke too soon. FPS was good, but FSX started crashing. I might just wait for a more stable version. First post mentions this is experimental and still in the testing phases, so I might wait a bit.

I was testing DX10 in April (without Steve tweak as I have not tried it yet) and I was hitting 60 FPS + but I averaged more like 50 ish.

Here is a vid I made 3 months ago in DX10, lots of eyes candy on like light bloom, lens flare, car traffic and more with Orbx scenery, I also pushed the plane to the max. speed wise (would not do it in real life lol), ain't perfect as there is some stutterings but the FPS was set to unlimited, better compare to DX9 if you don't mind AA, I got no shimmerings in DX10.

There is a lite version of the fswc program that includes a revised dx10 shader.

I did not know this, Steve. Ta very much! . More fettling....

That Has done the trick for now and it is acceptable. I still would like to hear from Red Baron and Steve for their input on how to make it even better. My performance has doubled and all my sliders are now to the Right. I thrown some weather at it and it didn't seem to slow things down at all. I'm running a I7 930 not OC, with a 460 2 gig video card. Before this fix I was only getting a average FR of 15 with sliders backed down to dense. Now I am getting a average FR of 25 to 30 with all sliders to the right. Thanks again for sharing this with us.

Josh

CPU: Intel i9-11900K @5.2 / RAM: 32GB DDR4 3200 / GPU: 4080 16GB /

when running in dx10, I found some objects completely disappear at night and semi transparent at dusk, is there any cure for this problem? The objects has no display problem when running in dx9.