Sign in to follow this  
SteveFx

DX10 Flashing Runways - Experimental Shader

Hello Paul J, Thanks very much for taking the time to do me a experiment fsx cfg file. After spending few hours trying experiment each individual Poolsize, fps doesn't seem to improve, still around 14-15 with default C172 at Ranton. However, using the highest RT provided, the fsx logo is resolved mostly. Just when I about to give up on the low fps. I notice I had ground shadow checked!! I unchecked it and BAM!!! FPS shot up to 25 with Bloom & Autogen Max out! The REX water remain breath taking! Can't imaging it look so realistic!

Finally the DX10 is working for me!(Another happy bunny).

Thanks everyone that contribute in this dx10 experiment. Especially Steve. And Paul, for your effort on providing me the DX10 fsx cfg. :)

Hi,

I discovered a solution for still not working navlights after making the mods as specified in an other thread. I found it while comparing the effects of the Sibwings S91 DX10 compatible navlights with Realairs SF260, which were not .

Add to the "Emitter.0" section (after "Bounce=0.00") :

Light=1

Sibwings navlight effect have other parameters set too in the "Properties" section :

Spot=1

Tower=1

Map=1

The properties section of the strobe effect contains two additonal rows :

Cockpit=1

Virtualcockpit=1

I don't know the effect of the "Properties" section, who can find out ?

Rgds,

Hugo

Not sure if this has been mentioned or if it's just happening to me, but in DX10, I get the "curtain of rain" effect, where there's an invisible shield protecting my airplane from rain.

dx10rain.jpg

Alexander Alonso

Fsxhd (Kevin)

You have morphological enabled. That's a post processing type of aa that is really an alternative to msaa/ssaa. The nvidia equivalent is fxaa. It blurs things especially obvious with the menu bar. I am surprised that it looks any different between dx9 and dx10. What settings for ccc wre you using with dx9?

I would suggest that you do the following tests

1) compare dx9 and dx10 with Morph set I.e as is

2) remove MultiSamplesPerPixel for now, compare dx10 with aa enabled in game, ccc set to use app settings for aa, morph disabled, with dx9 with morph disabled, aa forced to 4x.

3) tell me what ccc settings you normally use for dx9 and we will take it from there.

Hi,

I discovered a solution for still not working navlights after making the mods as specified in an other thread. I found it while comparing the effects of the Sibwings S91 DX10 compatible navlights with Realairs SF260, which were not .

Add to the "Emitter.0" section (after "Bounce=0.00") :

Light=1

Sibwings navlight effect have other parameters set too in the "Properties" section :

Spot=1

Tower=1

Map=1

The properties section of the strobe effect contains two additonal rows :

Cockpit=1

Virtualcockpit=1

I don't know the effect of the "Properties" section, who can find out ?

Rgds,

Hugo

I would guess that they are intended to define the camera views that the lights are visible

For anyone reading this, do please be careful if you start editting light effects, take backups of the whole directory before you start. Whilst the dx10 patches don't affect dx9 the llight effects are common to both and so any experimental changes will affect dx9 if you later revert back.

Your fix for the real air lights makes sense. If you can follow my tortuous blog entries on lights there are bugs in the dx10 light effects system that causes light effects that don't shine on surfaces to behave differently to effects that do. The are other bugs too! All the fsx red and green nav lights have such shine properties. It looks like the real air light did not and hence it wasn't working even with my work around.

One point though, I would guess that the light in dx9 had a bright center and one or more red rings. The change will have converted one of these into a shine, if that make sense so it wont look identical in dx9 as dx10, but you could add a new emitter.

So I did this and now some planes textures aren't showing anymore....Is that normal?

I checked all navlights effects in the folder and their shining in spot view. The ones that were not shining don't have the "Light=1" instruction. I don't see any reason why it couldn't included because it is in any other navlight effect and they are supposed to be also DX9 compatible.

Hugo

So I did this and now some planes textures aren't showing anymore....Is that normal?

Yes, DX10 with this fix has broken many 3rd party planes showing no textures for me also. Not sure if vanilla DX10 does the same thing to the planes or not.

Yes, DX10 with this fix has broken many 3rd party planes showing no textures for me also. Not sure if vanilla DX10 does the same thing to the planes or not.

Is there a fix for that?

It's probably because your addons are not DX10 compatible, you have to make sure that what ever you buy does say fully DX10 compatible, double check with the developers.

Guest firehawk44

The fix for this problem is to purchase Flight One's Addon_ConverterX.

Best regards,

Jim

Read page 6 of this thread

Thank you, Oliver Ooi!

Unfortunately, it now shows no rain for me. I'll test further with this tonight.

Alexander Alonso

Guest firehawk44
<br />but it works a treat out of Seattle. Took some screenies, and will post them tomorrow.<br />

Funny how things work better for others. I think my issue is my system is overclocked to just 4.2GHz. I use to have it clocked at 4.8. I'm still happy, very happy, with the quality of the images and it does not bother me when the frames dip down to 11 FPS once in a while. I have my frames limited to 30.

I'm just very happy Steve provided us the opportunity to enjoy all the features of FSX. And thanks again for your settings. You folks in Canada are alright!

Best regards,

Jim