Sign in to follow this  
CoolP

Plan-G users, the manual for V3 is up!

Thanks for the tip, CoolIP..Will be downloading this, for sure..

My pleasure. Lets hope it's final soon.

On the other flight planners you've mentioned, being payware. My viewpoint is that those are the IFR tools one may like and need. Plan-G could of course plan and show IFR items, but e.g. lacks of a database to actually make use of current procedures.

So our freeware is THE VFR tool, but only offers a limited feature set when it comes to IFR planning. I guess that's by design, it's not meant to replace the fancy IFR soft which does not mean that it couldn't on some topics.

Now, on the VFR part, where Plan-G rules out any competition, the freeware concept is of great use since you are then allowed to include that Google map display we see in V2 for free. If the payware wanted to run this data within their programs (the map display in FSC for example), Google would ask for more than a favour.

So for VFR stuff, EFB, FSC and FSBuild may not be your first choice and certainly not the cheapest one. Those addons really shine on the IFR part which Plan-G only scratches apart from the stuff like planning VOR to VOR routes. You have an airway display, intersection names and things, but that's from scanning the (old) FSX bgl files, not by using some database like Navigraph. Only speaking for V2 though.

I guess the fancy planners could be of use on the fuel planning and the flying times, but I think V3 of Plan-G will cover those items in nice detail for a proper VFR plan, avoiding the need to run anything else.

I don't think it matters to google whether it is payware or freeware. The reason they switched to osm was because of popularity. More than 10000 connections to google daily requires some sort of payment it seems, this never happened but it might.

Well, that's from a payware dev being asked to include the Google data in his software (map display within the program). If I got his answer right, it's a major difference in Google terms if you approach them as a payware or a freeware dev.

Commercially using a free service (for personal use) like 'Maps' is a different ballgame as it seems. Now I'm not much into the Google regulations and legal texts of them, but that's how I understood the payware devs so far.

True, the switch to OSM with the V3 of the freeware might not be based on those circumstances. But my guess is that FSC and EFB don't display Google data because they (technically) can't, but because of the costs involved due to their payware nature.

I think the Plan-G dev once said that e.g. saving the Google data locally also is a (legal?) problem. Not talking about the cache, helping on the loading times. But really saving the stuff, for e.g. offline usage. That kml feature in V2 shows that limitation if I'm correct. But I would have to look up the context again to be honest.

So our freeware is THE VFR tool, but only offers a limited feature set when it comes to IFR planning

Agreed, but seeing as how I mostly fly GA again now it's great for me..I use EFB/FSC when I'm flying the NGX, as you say for the integration of SID/STAR..

More than 10000 connections to google daily requires some sort of payment it seems

As usual, money talks...

JAKE EYRE
It's a small step from the sublime to the ridiculous...Napoleon Bonaparte
newSigBetaTeam.gif
lancairuk.jpg

As usual, money talks...

Well, so far, not for the soft (Plan-G) itself. ^_^ But I get your point and I think it's a valid thought to assume that this and that free service might change to be more restricted or going full payware in the future.

REX, a user of Google Maps in the past, also switched to the MS 'Bing' version. So that competition may keep it running and helps the customers. Now Plan-G goes OSM. Even better.

Unfortunately with v3 terrain mapping is not available and this is the main reason I use Plan-G for VFR stuff - so it will be back to v2 for me which I understand will still work. I was also hoping for Navigraph support which had been promised but apparently became too difficult. I like to import flightplans prepared in other apps for the NGX and use Plan-G as a moving map but without navigraph the resulting flightplan display in Plan-G can go very wrong due to the seven year old FSX database.

Bruceb

Bruce Bartlett

Frodo: "I wish none of this had happened." Gandalf: "So do all who live to see such times, but that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to us."

I think I saw Tim writing about the Navigraph support not coming due to licensing problems. Well, same as you, Bruce, I wonder about that missing terrain feature. I actually have to try if I would really miss it since I often had the other map modes running in V2.

Oops, I just saw that he takes a look at the Aerosoft navdata offering. So perhaps there's hope for you folks wanting some Navigraph in Plan-G. I have my other soft for the IFR stuff.

Can't wait for this.. Once you apply the MS fix to stop the `a script is causing. ... ..' dialogs Plan-G is rock solid and invaluable.. I have it on a network PC and it has never failed me.

ASUS ROG STRIX Z390-E GAMING / i9-9900k @ 4.7 all cores w/ NOCTUA NH-D15S / 2080ti / 32GB G.Skill 3200 RIPJAWS / 1TB Evo SSD / 500GB Evo SSD /  2x 3TB HDD / CORSAIR CRYSTAL 570X / IPSG 850W 80+ PLATINUM / Dual 4k Monitors 

Plan G is perhaps the best Utility in the history of Flight Sim... bar none.

I often find myself playing around more with flight plans then actually sim flying because of it! Using Google maps was genius... I hope the newer mapper is at least as good. One of the finer features was the simple search drop down. Airports, Fixes, even addresses... Man I love Plan G.

I wonder if he also plans some payware solution. What do you think?

I wonder if he also plans some payware solution. What do you think?

Didn't hear about it but could well and maybe should well be.

I have to say though that now I have the RXP GNS 530 Plan-G isn't as useful as it was before because the flightplans are of no use with the RXP: I still use Plan-G to figure out where to fly but that's it. So if Plan-G v3 would become payware, I might stick with v2. Then again, the new v3 function for figuring out radials sounds great... Think I'll get it anyway. :wink:

EDIT

O dear, I now see about the terrain mapping missing... Does that mean we will only get a 'flat' map and you can't see anymore where mountains are? Or am I missing something? If you can't see where mountains are then v3 is also totally useless for me.

My main reason for using Plan-G is the possibility to plot a flight through valleys... As I said this is already not really useful anymore for me because I can't load the plan in the GNS 530 but at least I sort of know where to go and what to look for. But if I can't plot a plan through valleys anymore, I see no reason to use v3 at all... What a shame...

And I just read about the VOR radial option but it's the other way around as I was hoping. I hoped you could select a random spot on the map and then Plan-G would tell you on which radials from selected VORs that spot was, but it seems you have to click on the VOR instead, enter a radial and distance and then a line will come on the map: it will take some trial and error before you find out the right radial yourself. And then you need to do another one for triangulation.

EDIT 2

Had a look at the map examples in the manual: flat maps indeed. And the Plan Elevation Windows (if you have the right data installed) is of no use for plotting a plan through valleys. Bummer...

So v2 it will stay. Now hopefully Google Maps won't block Plan-G v2 somehow...!

So v2 it will stay. Now hopefully Google Maps won't block Plan-G v2 somehow...!

+1

Those payware statements of mine were pure speculation. I've just wondered what could be added or made 'premium' or something. You know, less fuel burn, higher ground speed. Wait. Black%20Eye.gif

You folks are right, the map feature may receive a certain downgrade when it comes to the terrain.

V2 will continue to work unless google pulls the plug on it.

The best thing to do is lobby CloudMade and Mapquest (the main public OSM server providers to app developers) to provide terrain shading options. As has been mentioned, it is possible, since OpenCycleMap does it, but so far such pleas have fallen on deaf ears. OpenCycleMap is a private enterprise and they wouldn't appreciate 60,000-odd Plan-G users descending on their one server.

Google Maps is not an option for ongoing development, for icensing reasons.

Says the author.

Same as you, I wonder what that Google pulls the plug statement could mean. Is that a real concern or just a note on a probability? Either way, the soft is free, so I will be sad if it would stop working, but won't complain.

But I'm sure V3 will be very good and I'm eager to try it.

Once you apply the MS fix to stop the `a script is causing. ... ..' dialogs Plan-G is rock solid and invaluable..

Please could some kind person let us know where this fix is to be found? That error message drives me nuts!! Many thanks.

I guess google has the ability to block the app from accessing their maps. I wish he would've waited till it came to this rather than going for osm, it's really poor in comparison. :(