Hi Guys!

In my NGX I've never heard the "windshear, windshear, windshear" audio warning. I know there is windshear I can feel it and it is set up under weather in FSX. Anybody else know about this?

It's unbelievable and a shame that a FLIGHT simulator doesn't simulate the weather. It is time that someone skilled comes out with a new and serious simulator where the first thing to be simulated as close to real life as possible is the weather, otherwise this will remain simply a game...

James Goggi

Same here.

I also never heard "TCAS test OK" sound. Although I'm not sure what I have to do in order to hear it :D. Looks like ordinary GPWS test is not enough.

When you do the warning test during the preflight you can hear it, Just press the SYS TEST button on the F/O side below the ND, in the ground proximity system panel. I you'll never hear that in flight, the only aircraft i remember a windshear alert a few times is the dreamlfeet 727.

Same here.

I also never heard "TCAS test OK" sound. Although I'm not sure what I have to do in order to hear it :D. Looks like ordinary GPWS test is not enough.

Press on the TCAS knob (you can read test) then you see on the ND the TCAS test and after a few seconds yuo'll hear the aural sound "tcas test passed".

You have to test TCAS system separately on TCAS panel. Just put the selector to test position, wait and you get "TCAS system test passed" aural message.

Neither long (hold test button for at least 5 sec) or short (momentarily push test button) GPWS test checks TCAS system.

It's unbelievable and a shame that a FLIGHT simulator doesn't simulate the weather. It is time that someone skilled comes out with a new and serious simulator where the first thing to be simulated as close to real life as possible is the weather, otherwise this will remain simply a game...

Maybe Prepar3d? Let's hope.... I will only buy Prepare3d when they improve FSX weather realism....

Press on the TCAS knob (you can read test) then you see on the ND the TCAS test and after a few seconds yuo'll hear the aural sound "tcas test passed".

You have to test TCAS system separately on TCAS panel. Just put the selector to test position, wait and you get "TCAS system test passed" aural message.

Neither long (hold test button for at least 5 sec) or short (momentarily push test button) GPWS test checks TCAS system.

Thank you. I've kinda missed it.

I wish I could "like" your post. I've been in A LOT of flight simulators, from the PC flight sims (Pro Flight 98, FS8/9/X) to thousand dollar FAA-Approved study simulators, to specifically designed "cross-wind-trainer" simulators. Not a damned one models weather on a level above basic.

Why? I dunno. It doesn't make sense to me that weather is always left in the dust in flight simulators. It's no different than building a space simulator but not simulating gravity. I'll never understand it.

Take-offs are optional, landings are mandatory.
The only time you have too much fuel is when you're on fire.
To make a small fortune in aviation you must start with a large fortune.

There's nothing less important than the runway behind you and the altitude above you.
It's better to be on the ground wishing you were in the air, than in the air wishing you were on the ground.

I think the problem with weather is, that it isn't very easy to programm. Especially when the final product should cost less than 100$ (like FSX) I can imagine that there is no money for such programming. And think about it, how many FSX users are unhappy that there aren't windshears compared to the size of user which don't botter?

From the user side (not from the financial side) it would have been the best if they would have included their basic weather as it is now, but let addon developers better plugin into it. Not like AS2012 or similar programs are able now, instead let them replace the weather engine if they wish. If they did this we maybe would have a realistic simulated weather today.

But as said, weather is probably the most diffcult thing to get right in a flight simulator, as in the real world there are so many tiny factors wich can have a huge result onto your plane. As an example, you fly along a open field, at a sunny day in the afternoon, then you come to a line of trees, and you will often feel turbulence created by winds and thermodinamics. To add such a thing in a flight simulator would be probably pretty difficult.

Or another example, in the vally I life we have the most times moderate or little winds, however if you fly out of it you often notice enormous wind speed increases as you leave, which is total logically as the mountains protect from wind. However in a flight simulator such a thing won't be easy to create either, especially when at other days there could be strong winds in the vally as some things changed.

That would cost lot's of money, which only a few people would pay for, as lot's flightsimmers are happy that they have lifted the default trike into the air and never notice any advanced weather feature.

But that's just my oppinion.

Best regards,

John

I wish I could "like" your post. I've been in A LOT of flight simulators, from the PC flight sims (Pro Flight 98, FS8/9/X) to thousand dollar FAA-Approved study simulators, to specifically designed "cross-wind-trainer" simulators. Not a damned one models weather on a level above basic.

Why? I dunno. It doesn't make sense to me that weather is always left in the dust in flight simulators. It's no different than building a space simulator but not simulating gravity. I'll never understand it.

John is quite correct, modelling weather above basic is very resource hungry and not really necessary for 99% of the time. In training simulators the instructor wants to select weather conditions exactly as required for the exercise, not have realistic weather play out over time. Even up to Level D devices this is the case, though it is then mandatory that the weather is properly coordinated in the visual scene, weather radar, sound and atmospheric effects. There will be windshear models included of course and the windshear detection will work accordingly. Basically the instructor acts as the weather engine, controlling wind, cloud, visibility, turbulence, rain, etc. However some simulators, depending on operator preference, have some automated atmospheric effects, such as light turbulence in cloud, turbulence in crosswind, etc.

Unfortunately Microsoft didn't include windshear modelling in FSX, I guess they didn't think it was necessary for a game. What FSX gives you is fairly good eye-candy weather, nothing more. The real weather option works remarkably well so that's worth using. Sadly the only windshear you'll see in FSX is when the wind drastically shifts as you go from one weather area to another. However, the weather engine in FSX is far better than that provided in full flight simulators.

ki9cAAb.jpg