Sign in to follow this  
himynameistrev

Windows 8 - Joystick Megathread problem.

Guess not. 15 minutes of running CS 707 in the background (not minimized) and inputs are dead.

That's been the trouble with most of the so-called "solutions". They work for a while and then fail. I didn't encounter the joystick disappearance problem again for several days, after mapping my CH Flight Yoke , using the most recent CH driver and software. Then for no apparent reason, the problem cropped up again.

The FSUIPC4 approach does appear to work. Maybe Pete Dowson could explain in detail why this is true, but my guess is that FSUIPC4 does not rely on DirectX to access the joystick, hence bypassing the mess that is Windows 8.

Guys,

Has anyone had any success with no drop outs by asigning their joystick with LINDA? I believe that it is easier to use than FSUIPC. Please correct me if I am wrong.

Thanks to the FSUIPC solution I was flying a couple of weeks trouble free. Now all of a sudden, FSUIPC doesn't detect my joystick movements at all anymore. Strangely FSX detects the controller but then disconnects the joystick after X minutes as usual. When I try to re-assign the joystick axes with FSUIPC it doesn't react to the movements of the joystick. Besides installing tha latest round of MS patches last Tuesday I didn't change anything on the system. I wish I could go back to Windows 7 but don't have the time to reinstall everything...

Make sure that in FSUIPC.ini that AutoScanDevices=No

If you interact with FSUIPC and this is set to yes,and the joystick disconnects,then you will lose the joystick.

With the setting above, I have lost it only once.

Jude Bradley
Beech Baron: Uh, Tower, verify you want me to taxi in front of the 747?
ATC: Yeah, it's OK. He's not hungry.

X-Plane 11 X-Plane 12 and MSFS2020  🙂

System specs: Windows 11  Pro 64-bit, Ubuntu Linux 20.04 i9-9900KF  Gigabyte Z390 RTX-3070-Ti , 32GB RAM  1X 2TB M2 for X-Plane 12,  1x256GB SSD for OS. 1TB drive MSFS2020

Same here, now all of a sudden I have partial recognition by either FSuipc or FSX... Also DINPUT8.DLL didn't help one bit in my case, when using it the controls were dead right from the start. I have come across numerous issues with Win8 and at the same time haven't seen activity on MS's side to adress any of those, it's really disappointing, I had big hopes for W8...

Me too. - a recent spate of BSOD's in Windows 8 in which I can't even reboot to debug,has forced me to a Windows 7 install again.

I don't consider FSUIPC to be a waste of money thogh,as the wind smoothing is excellent as is the

whole program overall.

Jude Bradley

System specs: Windows 11  Pro 64-bit, Ubuntu Linux 20.04 i9-9900KF  Gigabyte Z390 RTX-3070-Ti , 32GB RAM  1X 2TB M2 for X-Plane 12,  1x256GB SSD for OS. 1TB drive MSFS2020

Me too. - a recent spate of BSOD's in Windows 8 in which I can't even reboot to debug ...

MS disabled the F8/Shift-F8 safe mode option in Win 8. Without a UEFI BIOS on your motherboard (most PCs > 2 years old don't have one), it is almost impossible to fix a Win 8 installation, if your video card/video driver fails and the OS BSODs on boot . This must have been a security concern, similar to Win 8 not allowing you to turn UAC completely off, but it is a real PITA, if you run afoul of this issue. If I could go back to Win 7, I would. It's too bad, though. Win 8 is very stable and it is fairly easy to ignore the Metro UI.

Make sure that in FSUIPC.ini that AutoScanDevices=No

If you interact with FSUIPC and this is set to yes,and the joystick disconnects,then you will lose the joystick.

With the setting above, I have lost it only once.

Thanks a lot! This seems to have done the trick, at least in my case, I was able to complete 2 x 1 hour flights without any "virtual hydraulic loss" :-)

Thanks a lot! This seems to have done the trick, at least in my case, I was able to complete 2 x 1 hour flights without any "virtual hydraulic loss" :-)

You're welcome, glad to have helped.

Jude Bradley

Question:

Have any Windows 8 users NOT had any trouble with their joysticks?

Obviously the issue seems widespread, but I am curious if some have never encountered it.

-Greg

Hi, I don't have the issue as long as I don't switch windows. If I do I have a 50% chance to only loose the ability to pan around, which in a virtual cockpit is essential.... The other buttons of the Saitek X52 Pro work. Sometimes it takes a couple of minutes but opening another window, together with going into task manager and bringing FSX either to front or activate it again (right clicking on the FSX label in Task manager) has up till now brought the panning function back to life. I need to repeat those a couple of times, don't know which eventually does the trick to get it back to working, but it works.

But not changing windows is my way to stay out of trouble....

Menno

Menno 

i7-11700, 16GB, 1 TB SSD, 2 TB HDD, RTX 3070, Windows 11, MSFS 2020 DeLuxe, P3D 4.5

Hi, I don't have the issue as long as I don't switch windows.

What's your experience with the ATC window? Does that qualify as "switching windows"?

As long as I stay within the FSX window I don't have a problem. So no, the ATC window or going to FSX settings or else does not lead to problems. But switching to another window like my add-on weather program, MS outlook, internet explorer or any other program could disable the panning function of my joystick. Hence I don't think it is the USB port as suggested by others.

When the joystick is not working, it doesnot show in FSX as a controller anymore, so I think the problem is in W8.

Menno 

i7-11700, 16GB, 1 TB SSD, 2 TB HDD, RTX 3070, Windows 11, MSFS 2020 DeLuxe, P3D 4.5

If I do I have a 50% chance to only loose the ability to pan around, which in a virtual cockpit is essential....

Are you using EZDok?

You can lose your ability to pan if you're using the the F9 key to jumping to VC. I always use "A" and "S". I struggled with this for a bit then figured out that pattern.

Chuck Biggins