Sign in to follow this  
himynameistrev

Windows 8 - Joystick Megathread problem.

Really really annoyed, I just ran into this issue within the past few days. Recently got a new machine with Windows 8, and spent a few days flying with the Majestic Q400 in default European scenery and no issues what so ever. As soon as I do a 777 flight to the new Flightbeam KDEN, it disconnects. I managed to get it to reconnect, but now I can't go more than 5 minutes at the airport without it disconnecting in the NGX. I can't buy FSUIPC because I cannot connect to Simmarket due to some router issues redirecting me to the CIA. Can't revert to Windows 7 because I don't have a key or installer, and I'm more than annoyed with the issue. 

Is there any way to get it to reconnect with a good success rate that doesn't involve FSUIPC? I don't like the idea of losing the mouse panning and slew controls. This has me more than annoyed, as FSX is almost unusable now. Wish I could get a refund for some of my payware now...

-Tom H

Is there any way to get it to reconnect with a good success rate that doesn't involve FSUIPC?

According to this thread, no. I'm not sure why you think that FSUIPC isn't the way to go. 

According to this thread, no. I'm not sure why you think that FSUIPC isn't the way to go. 

If you look at my post above you'll see I can't purchase FSUIPC because of a redirection issue to the CIA's website. And it also seems that it's more like a $30-40 partial patch. I just can't throw that kind of money down on something that isn't guaranteed to fix the issue.

I thought you were kidding about the CIA part. If that's happening to you, I'd be more worried about that than I would about Windows 8.

I am new to this problem. Bought a new computer with win 8.1 yesterday.  I'm shocked that after more than a year this problem isn't solved.

Even FSUIPC does not recognize my flighstick. Yesterday it did and I programmed it. Now it is not even there.

This is insane. Can I go back to windows 7 when I had windows8.1 preinstalled?

Weird! I doubt installing Win7 on it would help. I've got a full spread of CH equipment, and a sidewinder on Win8. Never had any issues at all.

Steve Waite: Engineer at codelegend.com

Well, win7 was fine! Now it is just messed up! Even bought a new joystick, but the problem remains. This thread is 2 years old, and still no solution!

I thought you were kidding about the CIA part. If that's happening to you, I'd be more worried about that than I would about Windows 8.

Hahaha no I'm not joking about that, but it's something with our new router as I later found out. I can't figure out how to fix it though. If I go through our modem it's fine, but through our Linksys router it redirects to the CIA. Something inside the router is doing it. Google SimMarket redirects to CIA, I'm not the only one who's had the issue. Our old WRT54G didn't have this issue, but our new EA6900 does.

Now it (the joystick disconnecting issue, not my CIA issue) appears this issue is being caused because FSX doesn't re-detect joysticks or controllers, but I am wondering about that now. Back in Windows 7 on another laptop, I would disconnect my joystick from my computer when on Autopilot so if it got banged or something it wouldn't send my flight into maybe another dimension (like the issue with hitting cars into another dimension in OMSI 2 haha). I also did this when transporting my laptop around mid-flight. I could reconnect without any issue though. 

My joystick (a Logitech Extreme 3D Pro) does have a wiring issue which I have tried to prevent but still does occur, which does cause it to disconnect entirely from the computer. But even when this happens, FSX still sometimes picks it up when it reconnects. 

So does FSX actually scan for joysticks then if I can disconnect and reconnect my joystick even after 8 hours of it running on Windows 7? Just a thought, because it seems quite weird. 

I am new to this problem. Bought a new computer with win 8.1 yesterday.  I'm shocked that after more than a year this problem isn't solved.

Even FSUIPC does not recognize my flighstick. Yesterday it did and I programmed it. Now it is not even there.

This is insane. Can I go back to windows 7 when I had windows8.1 preinstalled?

Now this is a bit alarming and that's why I am a bit reluctant to go and buy FSUIPC. Does it disconnect like a joystick does from FSX and doesn't reappear? I'm just wondering if FSUIPC is even a real solution to the issue because it's not the only place I've read FSUIPC not seeing the joystick. 

-Tom H

I have the same issue. Curious to know why this problem does not happen with PROSIM737 flight model and their avionics suite? Only happens with my PMDG737NGX.

AMD Threadripper 1950x 16 core, 32GB of RAM, SSD, Liquid Cooled. 

The cause of this problem seems also to be in dispute. Some here claim it is due to the OS powering down either the joystick or the USB hub. Others suggest that the problem occurs when the main sim window loses its focus. If the cause could be isolated, the problem might be closer to resolution. Changing the USB power settings has only worked for a small number of people in Win 8. FSUIPC works for a larger number of people, but it isn't bulletproof either. The former solution never worked for me and the latter has worked flawlessly.

Or simply because too much resources is expected, as in PROSIM737 vs PMDG737NGX, where PMDG737NGX would need more.

Steve Waite: Engineer at codelegend.com

Unfortunately, I have to stop purchasing all of the add ons, and I was getting back into FSX with my new powerful PC I built.

I could not find a good thread on PMDG and FSUIPC mapping. Has anyone does this with success?

AMD Threadripper 1950x 16 core, 32GB of RAM, SSD, Liquid Cooled. 

I could not find a good thread on PMDG and FSUIPC mapping. Has anyone does this with success?

That's a bit off topic, but you are probably better off using LINDA as a front end for the mappings, as someone has already attempted that:

http://forum.avsim.net/topic/418643-pmdg-777-module-version-05/

I just completed a flight in the NGX with no disconnect!

With windows 7 compatibility mode, the controls registered in FSUIPC and unchecked in the FS menu, I had success!

Addons used in the flight:

PMDG NGX

Flightbeam KPHX

FSDT KLAS

EZCA

I'll do further testing, including flying online and with a virtual airline acars progam and report back.

OK Guys, I am living proof this problem doesn't exist using FSUIPC. I made this post from over a year ago, and still haven't had a disconnect. Not a SINGLE one. So you are free to keep messing around with unproven ways that fail within a few flights, or you can just end all the frustration and have a 100% reliable connection with FSUIPC.