Sign in to follow this  
himynameistrev

Windows 8 - Joystick Megathread problem.

Hmm...I disabled FSX using my controller and set it up with FSUIPC, but I'm still getting it to drop out...any ideas?

Hmm...I disabled FSX using my controller and set it up with FSUIPC, but I'm still getting it to drop out...any ideas?

I found that on the rarest occasion I would get a drop out after setting up controllers in FSUIPC and disabling in FSX. This is the solution that worked for me 99% of the time.

I have actually gone back to Win 7 since acquiring a license, not due to these drop-outs but because of numerous CTD's occurring after several hours flying, blurred textures and other stability issues that started to come up (this controller drop-out issue became the least of my worries).

I've come to the realisation that getting FSX to work reliably on Win 8.1 is a bit of a lost cause due to numerous changes MS have made to the OS core since Win 8 and FSX being legacy software. I'll definitely revisit Win 8.1 some day when I switch over to X-Plane full time.

How many of you have actually done a completely clean install of Windows 8.1? From what I have read, people whom are not experiencing joystick dropouts have all done a clean install... 

For the record, I did a fully clean install of Win8.1 x64 a month or so ago and have not had a single joystick dropout. Never had one when I was briefly using 8.0 back a few months ago either, though. Perhaps I'm one of the lucky ones.

My Saitek MultiPanel LCD screen no longer works after updating to 8.1.  All of the buttons do work fine, but the screen remains blank.  Has anyone else had this issue? I've tried the usual solutions to try to fix it (unplug and regplug the USB, switch to different USB, suspend windows sleep mode, etc.). I'm using SPAD drivers.

My multipanel seems ok.. my comms radio is different though.. it seems at least in a recent test, that you can change the numbers but pressing active / standby doesnt do anything.. actually the values displayed in the sim and on the device are different

MSI z690-a Unify; 1000 watt evga SuperNova Platinum; 12900kf at 1.255 adaptive LLC6, auto avx, auto Pcore, E-4.0ghz, Ring-4.1ghz, PL 241watt (Cine96c, games 83c case side On); DDR5 Gskill F5-6400J3239G16GA2-TZ5RS  at 6400mhz autovolt, Kraken x73 360mm; Thermaltake v51 Case; Gigabyte 4090 OC;  VR-Varjo Aero;  AstronomicallySpeaking:

I currently have Windows 8 installed . What is the easiest way of installing 8.1?

Ron

Ron Service

I currently have Windows 8 installed . What is the easiest way of installing 8.1?

Ron

1. Update your video driver to the most recent release (not beta) version.

2. Make sure all your Windows 8 updates are up to date (Control Panel...System and Security...Windows Update).

3. From the Start screen (not the desktop) go to the Windows Store app on your computer.

More details?

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/windows-8/update-from-windows-8-tutorial

Probably. Have you read anything from the thread you're posting to?

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Tapatalk

You can get it to run (I am), but there are definitely compatibility problems. I won't enumerate them all here as they tend to vary from one person to the next - but you can read about them...they're all over this forum. If the thought of reinstalling my entire system wasn't so onerous, I would go back to Windows 7 in a New York minute.

I "might" have found a solution to the USB joystick disconnects in FSX. Been testing for 3 hours and no disconnects so far. I changed planes, scenarios, full screen, windowed mode and tried to recreate the disconnect but it would not happen.

What inspired me to apply this fix to my joystick is an issue I was having after upgrading to windows 8.1. My cougar MFDs were constantly flashing. So I found this link and fixed the problem with the MFD. I also applied the "Fix"  to my TM WH joystick and throttle as a test and so far so good. Let me test it for a week before I can confirm 100% this is a Fix.

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/2900614/en-us

John Sark

Well I took the plunge and upgraded to Win 8.1 and so far good news , no JS disconnects or OOM errors,

Knock on wood.

Ron

Ron Service

I "might" have found a solution to the USB joystick disconnects in FSX. Been testing for 3 hours and no disconnects so far. I changed planes, scenarios, full screen, windowed mode and tried to recreate the disconnect but it would not happen.

What inspired me to apply this fix to my joystick is an issue I was having after upgrading to windows 8.1. My cougar MFDs were constantly flashing. So I found this link and fixed the problem with the MFD. I also applied the "Fix" to my TM WH joystick and throttle as a test and so far so good. Let me test it for a week before I can confirm 100% this is a Fix.

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/2900614/en-us

I've tried that. It did solve the issue I had with my Saitek multipanel screen being dark, but it has not solved the randomly disappearing joystick problem. It persists in P3D as well.

Hey guys I may have a possible fix to the problem with windows 8 and 8.1 joystick randomly disconnecting during flight.

1: First thing you could do is go to power options (8.1) then choose high perfomance, or whatever your power plan is. and hit change settings

2.  Then change advanced power settings, and then USB settings, USB selective suspend setting.

3. On battery, disable it. Plugged in, disable it. Apply it and hit ok.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Next option.

Go to http://va-gae.eu/flightoperations/download/fsx-joystick-tool.html

It is in German so open it in chrome and translate it to your language. 

Download it and open the zip file and run the DLYS.exe. Create a new setting by hitting  configuration and typing in a new setting. Call it Normal. Go to Settings, and assign your axis to your controllers. For the axis, go to axis_elevator_set or axis_aileron_set, or rudder_axis_set. Setup your buttons accordingly. Kind of like FSUIPC but an external program to run your controllers. 

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

These worked for me and I haven't lossed my stick yet, knock on wood, haha, and hopefully this will work for you until us patient windows 8 and 8.1 fsx users get a fix.

Cheers,

usa4321