Sign in to follow this  
himynameistrev

Windows 8 - Joystick Megathread problem.

Yes

With or without the FSUIPC fix? 

If FSUPC fix used,are you using "send direct to FSUIPC"?

Jude Bradley
Beech Baron: Uh, Tower, verify you want me to taxi in front of the 747?
ATC: Yeah, it's OK. He's not hungry.

X-Plane 11 X-Plane 12 and MSFS2020  🙂

System specs: Windows 11  Pro 64-bit, Ubuntu Linux 20.04 i9-9900KF  Gigabyte Z390 RTX-3070-Ti , 32GB RAM  1X 2TB M2 for X-Plane 12,  1x256GB SSD for OS. 1TB drive MSFS2020

With or without the FSUIPC fix? 

If FSUPC fix used,are you using "send direct to FSUIPC"?

Without.

If you map all your controls directly through FSUIPC, you're fine.

You have got to be kidding me. I've just lost all my faith into Microsoft. If it has not been fixed in Windows 8.1 RTM then it's never going to be fixed. Great, that's FSX's death knell, as I am not planning to stay with Windows 7 for too much longer because I use this PC for other things as well. At some point, these things will lose compatibility with Windows 7 or will no longer be updated.

Microsoft is too busy dismantling everything that made them successful and reinventing it with tech they *think* you need or want.

Hopefully, P3D v2 can solve this problem.  DX11 updates are Win8 exclusive now, so I would assume P3D v2 will support Windows 8.  

Windows 8.1 seems to have fixed the problem of losing the joystick when clicking on a different active window outside FSX. I've also had some long flights and have not lost joystick control randomly. My yoke is still sometimes inactive when I start FSX, but, unlike with windows 8, I can restore it by simply unplugging the USB and replugging it and don't need to exit FSX. In short, I think win 8.1 has solved most of this disappearing joystick problem. Now if I could just get my Saitek LED panel back.

Windows 8.1 seems to have fixed the problem of losing the joystick when clicking on a different active window outside FSX.

False.

False.

Hmm.  Well, there are several things that I have done.  One or the combination of them have definitely solved the problem for me, and I'm not alone.  DANEQ99 also reported success in a different thread on this forum. I have done extensive testing and have not had a single recurrence of the joystick freeze.  Here are the steps I have taken:

1. Upgrade to Windows 8.1;

2. Disable "allow the computer to turn off this device to save power" in Device Manager for all USB hubs (this was an early fix suggested by some users. It never worked for me before, although maybe now it has some effect in Win 8.1);

3. Update my ASUS bios (this is unlikely to have had an effect since USB was not listed in the bios change log. Nevertheless, I include that step here since I can't rule it out as a variable).

That's it.  That's all I have done in the past week between the time I had the problem and now when I don't.

Can others perform these steps and report back?  I was one who suffered horribly from joystick drop outs in Windows 8.  I lost my CH Eclipse yoke anytime I clicked on a non-FSX window and was unable to recover it unless I reset FSX. I also could not use my Saitek panels unless I first unplugged and replugged the USB before starting FSX.  After one or a combination of the above steps, I cannot recreate the drop out effect, and my Saitek panels work fine (other than the multipanel LCD, which strangely is now nonfunctional). I've flown several hours now in different planes and can click like a mad man to open any window, run any program, etc.  I am using default FSX for joystick assignments rather than FSUIPC.

Obviously, everyone's rig is going to be different.  There are too many variables to say "This is the fix."  Nevertheless, the problem has definitely been solved for me, and I have a feeling that others may have the same experience.  

The USB hack has been tried ad nauseum and has the success rate of tossing a coin while patting your head and rubbing your tummy. There's a whole thread already on this - no need to repeat what's already been tried by many.

http://forum.avsim.net/topic/421313-possible-solution-windows-8-and-81-joystick-solution-for-fsx-and-prepar3d/

Then it must be Win 8.1 that has largely solved the joystick problem for me and others that have had success.

Would those who do not have Windows 8 or 8.1 please refrain from commenting on an issue when they have no firsthand knowledge.  It is just tiresome to those who want a fix other than FSUIPC. 

Thank you in advance.

Would those who do not have Windows 8 or 8.1 please refrain from commenting on an issue when they have no firsthand knowledge. It is just tiresome to those who want a fix other than FSUIPC.

Thank you in advance.

Not sure who this is addressed to.

In any event:

Windows 8.1 RTM + USB Power Management Hackery + Saitek ProFlight Yoke and Throttle = No Joy Whatsoever here

Using FSUIPC exclusively now and no longer worry about this issue.

Thank you in retrospect.

I have 8.1 and the joystick problem is still there for me, so I just went immediately back to FSUIPC. On the other hand, even under Win 8, there were some people who never experienced the problem at all. And there were even more people that got relief with the USB power fix. But the vast majority of people who have posted in this thread needed to use FSUIPC as a workaround. I suspect that this situation is largely unchanged. Further, if this problem was truly fixed in 8.1, Microsoft would have probably noted it somewhere, either in its official forums, a blog or on its KB.

8.1 and fsiupc here.  the only work for me.

Now upgraded the DX10 preview fix for FSX work very nice so far.

Before w8.0 and  fsiupc setting worked and the only way to avoid the disconnect problem.

Have tried every thing in this threed and found out that the fsiupc and power saving setting make it all.

Nicolaus Malmgren

Interesting. Then my success after the Win 8.1 upgrade is either dumb luck or perhaps unique to the CH Eclipse yoke. Or maybe it is the Asus bios upgrade that did it. In any case, I've tested now with 5 hours or so of flight time and the problem has definitely gone away. As noted, though, my Saitek LED has disappeared, so it is a trade off.

Interesting. Then my success after the Win 8.1 upgrade is either dumb luck or perhaps unique to the CH Eclipse yoke. Or maybe it is the Asus bios upgrade that did it. In any case, I've tested now with 5 hours or so of flight time and the problem has definitely gone away. As noted, though, my Saitek LED has disappeared, so it is a trade off.

Mark

Are you using FSUIPC?

Had the joystick issue a few times early on with Windows 8.0.. now with 8.1 its there all the time (ch flight yoke and pedals).

I've not tried/bought FSUIPC yet to do the work around though.. thats next on my list.

MSI z690-a Unify; 1000 watt evga SuperNova Platinum; 12900kf at 1.255 adaptive LLC6, auto avx, auto Pcore, E-4.0ghz, Ring-4.1ghz, PL 241watt (Cine96c, games 83c case side On); DDR5 Gskill F5-6400J3239G16GA2-TZ5RS  at 6400mhz autovolt, Kraken x73 360mm; Thermaltake v51 Case; Gigabyte 4090 OC;  VR-Varjo Aero;  AstronomicallySpeaking: