Sign in to follow this  
drewsaw2

What are some FS9 must-have freeware addons, freeware files, enhancements etc?

I've been a long-time FSX user but have recently got back into fs9. I never uninstalled it and noticed the .exe sitting lonely on my desktop a little while back and thought I'd give it a run and dust off some of the old aircraft. While the visuals are dated, I really appreciate the smoothness in my level-d 767 and dreamfleet 727, which were my first and second addons I ever purchased (enjoying the nostalgia). I know a lot of you are fs9 users for life, and so I need you help. I'm looking for some real gems to make my fs9 realism and flights come to life. I haven't really used it in over 4 years so I'd like to hear about all the little known freeware/payware addons, mods, enhancements the community has put forth for fs9 recently. My best discovery so far has been the HDE cloud set here on avsim. Anyway, it's nice to be back.

Thanks.

*I realize the title is a little redundant. Just a little excited.

CPU: i7-9700KF stable @ 5.0GHz | MOBO: ASUS ROG Maximus XI Hero | GPU: ASUS GTX 1080 Ti @ stock | RAM: G. Skill Trident Z 32GB (2x16GB) 3200Mhz | PSU: Corsair RM850x 80 Plus | COOLING: Deepcool Castle 240 AIO | PANEL: 27" @ 1080p

Thanks Wingz, got it.

CPU: i7-9700KF stable @ 5.0GHz | MOBO: ASUS ROG Maximus XI Hero | GPU: ASUS GTX 1080 Ti @ stock | RAM: G. Skill Trident Z 32GB (2x16GB) 3200Mhz | PSU: Corsair RM850x 80 Plus | COOLING: Deepcool Castle 240 AIO | PANEL: 27" @ 1080p

There are plenty of add-ons for FS9. . But the one to get is FScene4X, Gives your FS9 a new face . Matter of fact, it is also usable for FSX. Some one has also global change for the trees.

If I think of other stuff , I wioll let you know. FS9 rules.

Bob.*

The RFP 747-200 is freeware now. Without a doubt the most complete older generation jet out there for FSX. It is the sole reason I still find myself in FS9 some days. It is great.

The project Fokker 100 and 28 were pretty good too. If you fly in the Bahamas or Florida there is a package for those areas. I completely forgot what it's called though. It's a great package though. I'm sure if you search avsim for Florida scenery it will be right up there.

For bloom/lighting, there is ENB, Sweet FX, and FXAA. All freeware. With the right settings, I prefer Sweet FX.

I switched to FS9 back in the summer and haven't touched FSX since then. It's very possible to get FS9 to look very close or better than FSX but it requires payware stuff. For 3D night lighting, the UT series for FS9 is superior to the one on FSX. The only things I find that FSX is better at is the higher resolution ground textures and higher polygon count.

Any special effect by Nick Needham (Simviation.com):

Nick's Touchdown and Vortex

Nick's LightFix VERSION 2

Nick's Prop Dust

Nick's A-I JET Exhaust

It’ll take awhile to download, but it’s worth it - Global Terrain Mesh for The Whole World: http://simviation.com/1/fs2004terrainmesh

Anything from here, especially VOZ 1.8 Complete and Andy Weir’s (RIP) Terrain Mesh: http://aussiex.org/forum/index.php?/files/category/16-voz-downloads-fs9/

Guest Reason

IRIS Simulation, love their Texan and Pilatus. Awesome

http://www.irissimul...ulator-aircraft

Been fooling around at Flightsim.com Library section, feel like lost in heaven :D

Just a suggestion, while no doubts FS9 is an amazing sim, it is not a bad idea to keep FSX side by side with FS9.. they both are perfect match for shifty mood :P

Project Tupolev Tu-154M. Think of it as a more complex and completely different, whilst being quite similar, to the DF727. You will not be able to do a thing with it unless you are prepared to read the manual - or are a natural genius ;-)

Gavin Barbara

Over 10 years here and AVSIM is still my favourite FS site :-)

Hopefully in a month or so i'll be able to put up my latest update onto the avsim library for DM's VC10. It will have a new airfile, new engine sounds, Individual gauge lights, full on engine management and piles of other stuff. Already available are full checklists written and verbal. Currently I'm finishing off Engine T's & P's (6 gauges per engine-p7, n2, EGT, n1, oil press/temp) a white lit panel, A/c anti-ice and hydraulics. Probably when the project is "finally" done you'll need 2 or 3 screens and two simmers. The workload might be too much for just one!!!!!

Thanks for all the great stuff guys!

I haven't really used it in over 4 years so I'd like to hear about all the little known freeware/payware addons, mods, enhancements the community has put forth for fs9 recently.

Hi Drew,

Here are some scenery files for you to take a look at or reminders as such. All freeware.

Glacier Bay by Holger Sandmann:

Glacier Bay - Alaska/Canada, Version 2, Part 1 of 2 (Download #148846)

Glacier Bay - Alaska/Canada, Version 2, Part 2 of 2 (Download #148847)

Boston Logan International Airport by George Grimshaw:

Search for:" boston_logan_1.1.zip " here at AVSIM

KPHL Philadelphia International Airport by SunSkyJet by Shez Ansari and Ian Gibson, found easily at:

http://www.sunskyjet.com/

If you are interested in some of the classic jet liners (freeware) take a look around the HJG web site.

http://www.simviation.com/hjg/downloads.htm

This will keep you busy for a while, there is of course much much more to be discovered. Last and maybe least, there is another scenery I will mention. For a medium sized, not so busy airport in a remarkably unremarkable part of the US (Ohio) there is " tol2011.zip " Toledo Express Airport by Shez Ansari and myself. Sorry, I just couldn't resist! Big%20Grin.gif

Best regards,

Mel

P.S. I almost forgot another aircraft classic. The B732 by Tinmouse;

http://library.avsim.net/search.php?CatID=fs2004ac&SearchTerm=tinmouse&Sort=Added&ScanMode=0&Go=Change+View

Mel

I'd like to hear about all the little known freeware/payware

Re: Boston Logan International Airport by George Grimshaw; In my haste to mention this scenery I pointed you to boston_logan_1.1.zip. I have realized that this is a much older and outdated version of the airport and I retract my recommendation to download it. I have version 2.1 which it seems is not available anymore due to the payware release of version 3.0 by FlyTampa and George Grimshaw.

After some searching I have not been able to locate 2.0 (required prior to the installation of 2.1) or 2.1 anywhere. Except of course in my sim and the two zip files in my archive.

Bostonv2 is a 30.8Mb file and Bostonv2.1 an update is 26.2Mb in size. If you really want these, PM me and I will see if I can get them emailed to you if it is possible.

Mel

For scenery i suggest:

REX FS2004 Overdrive

Ultimate Terrain

Ground Environment Pro

FSGlobal 2010

ENB bloom (haven't tried sweetFX yet, but everyone says its great.)

That's a good base to get you started.

I also use the MegaScenery titles for photoreal areas.