Sign in to follow this  
Addicted2FSX

LOW FPS EVEN AFTER OVERCLOCK! GRRR

I am new to AVSIM, thought i would post to see if anyone is having the same performance issues as i am or possibly a solution to my (hair pulling :mad:) problem. My Frame rates are fluctuating from 7-30 FPS at any airport(addon scenery and default) any aircraft(addon aircraft or default) and do not go any higher than my record 31 fps :lol: . My average is about 21 FPS in the air and 11 FPS on the ground. I have FSX gold which comes with Acceleration so both service packs are installed. My setup goes as follows:

HERES THE KICKER- I7 2700K CPU OVERCLOCKED TO 4.8GHZ(SCRATCHING MY HEAD)

ASUS P8Z68-V PRO/GEN3 MOBO

1200W PSU

8GB VENGEANCE RAM @2133MHZ

EVGA NVIDIA GTX 680 VIDEO CARD WITH 2GBS OF V MEMORY

OCZ AGILITY 3 480GB SSD(ONLY FSX INSTALLED ON THIS)

I am getting the same performance on fsx now as i did when my processor was not overclocked!!! In fact I recently restored default settings in my bios and for some wierd reason FSX loaded textures quicker without the overclock!! same frames though.

what ive already tried:

Ive already tried the ******* tweak! -after this i had crazy stutters, horrible FPS, and slow texture loading in the default 747!

Ive already tried setting frames unlimited- no difference

Ive already tried an External frame limiter- set at high 60 fps or above w/ the FSX limiter at 40 gives best results(31fps not locked goes down to 18 in some areas) also lots of shimmering and tearing when moving camera angles.

Ive already tried changing things around in Nvidia Inspector- yeilds alright FPS but who wants to fly a plane that looks like FS 2000? Besides i have sufficient hardware that should handle it fine.

The best results ive had and that is 30 FPS LOCKED with no stutters or shimmering was with Word Not Allowed's Hardware and Tuning guide. I would stick to these settings but with Antialiasing turned off i might as well have saved a few hundred bucks and not have built such an expensive machine, or spent all the money on addons to have the same look as freeware!

I get frustrated when i hear that people are getting smooth 60fps and higher in their sims with alright hardware and im barely pulling 28 on a good day with high end components! there has to be something not right to have such a high overclock and no better performance. I even tried it at 5.0ghz and still no difference! Im sure there is a setting missing somewhere.

Don't believe what you hear. 60 fps is doable, but not with high settings...

With your computer you should be getting steady 30, maybe drop to 15-20 on very busy and detailed airports with lots of traffic. Antialiasing should be set with Nvidia Inspector if turned off in FSX.

What addons are you using, and where do you fly?

Simmerhead - Making the virtual skies unsafe since 1987! 

Make sure that you have the Power Management Mode in nVidiaInspector set to "Prefer Maximum Performance" If not, the driver could be downclocking the GPU on you in an effort to kill-a-watt.

Regards

Bob Scott | President and CEO, AVSIM Inc
ATP Gulfstream II-III-IV-V

System1 (P3Dv5/v4): i9-13900KS @ 6.0GHz, water 2x360mm, ASUS Z790 Hero, 32GB GSkill 7800MHz CAS36, ASUS RTX4090
Samsung 55" JS8500 4K TV@30Hz,
3x 2TB WD SN850X 1x 4TB Crucial P3 M.2 NVME SSD, EVGA 1600T2 PSU, 1.2Gbps internet
Fiber link to Yamaha RX-V467 Home Theater Receiver, Polk/Klipsch 6" bookshelf speakers, Polk 12" subwoofer, 12.9" iPad Pro
PFC yoke/throttle quad/pedals with custom Hall sensor retrofit, Thermaltake View 71 case, Stream Deck XL button box

Sys2 (MSFS/XPlane): i9-10900K @ 5.1GHz, 32GB 3600/15, nVidia RTX4090FE, Alienware AW3821DW 38" 21:9 GSync, EVGA 1000P2
Thrustmaster TCA Boeing Yoke, TCA Airbus Sidestick, 2x TCA Airbus Throttle quads, PFC Cirrus Pedals, Coolermaster HAF932 case

Portable Sys3 (P3Dv4/FSX/DCS): i9-9900K @ 5.0 Ghz, Noctua NH-D15, 32GB 3200/16, EVGA RTX3090, Dell S2417DG 24" GSync
Corsair RM850x PSU, TM TCA Officer Pack, Saitek combat pedals, TM Warthog HOTAS, Coolermaster HAF XB case

No such thing as 30FPS in all situations. I have had two high end rigs and if you crank everything up and have multiple addons you may struggle to get mid to low teens.

Reduce settings. There are a few guides. Start with NickN he has the most stable guide out there. Balance your system first then start tweaking and end up with Word Not Allowed.

supporter.jpg

Also have you set AffinityMask=14 in the FSX config?

[JOBSCHEDULER]

AffinityMask=14

If everything is going thru the first core then your getting a bottleneck and not utilizing the other cores. The 14 setting tells FSX to skip the 1st core and use the rest.

See pic below of my FPS:

2013-1-5_18-36-27-212_zps5d01a152.png

Granted this is in the air, even on the ground I get 25 FPS (Night shot)

AustraliaNight_zps82e10358.png

And here is a day shot on the ground:

2012-12-22_17-43-11-492.jpg

No such thing as 30FPS in all situations. I have had two high end rigs and if you crank everything up and have multiple addons you may struggle to get mid to low teens.

Reduce settings. There are a few guides. Start with NickN he has the most stable guide out there. Balance your system first then start tweaking and end up with Word Not Allowed.

Correct, what FSX had them set as when you installed it is where I would have left them, and tweaked them. I have a hard time running at full settings and you can see my rig. I built this thing strictly for FSX and can't run full settings, I get close tho.

Hold on.... I think you did too much for starters....

Format the whole thing, get your PC up and running (without any overclock). Make sure it's stable with the various tests out there... (P95/IBT etc)

Once it's stable install FSX. Use MINIMAL .cfg settings like highmemfix=1. Also you'll want to put in the nvidia inspector settings found in the older simforums NickN post:

http://www.simforums.com/forums/settings-for-new-drivers-updated-v1959_topic36586.html

At that point it should be running very smoothly with no overclock and vanilla FSX. If it's not running smoothly something is wrong, possibly on the hardware side. Make sure your RAM timings are correct etc...

Don't do ANY OCing until FSX default is running and looking nice. You will need some sort of nvidia inspector settings to get it looking nice however which is why I'd run those Nick N settings. Word Not Allowed settings will come later (BP=0 helped me out but only after everything was stable).

After this is done THEN you can start overclocking.

| FAA ZMP |
| PPL ASEL |
| Windows 11 | MSI Z690 Tomahawk | 12700K 4.7GHz | MSI RTX 4080 | 32GB 5600 MHz DDR5 | 500GB Samsung 860 Evo SSD | 2x 2TB Samsung 970 Evo M.2 | EVGA 850W Gold | Corsair 5000X | HP G2 (VR) / LG 27" 1440p |

hi, thanks for replying.

I tried setting Antialaising inside Nvidia inspector to overide application and it didnt seem to work as well as the game setting. Also right now i have it set to enhance the application. That makes my FSX look realistic as it can get without video editing. I highly recommend this setting to anyone with high frame rates to try out! especially with high AA settings.

As far as addons, i use the usuall PMDG NGX and Airbus X. lately ive been flying the CLS A330 alot. I do alot of flights out of UK2000s heathrow because its good scenery with alright frames. I got Aerosoft Madrid and had to uninstall it because i felt like i was watching a slide show haha. i thought id install it again after i try to higher my performance.

i tried the CFG uploader before and for some reason it made my sim Worse. had lots of stutters and tearing. I deleted my FSX.cfg and let it make another one. except in the new one i added just a few entries such as:

[JOBSCHEDULER]

AffinityMask=14

[bUFFERPOOLS]

Poolsize=0

[GRAPHICS]

ForceFullScreenVSync=1

TEXTURE_MAX_LOAD=4096 and 2048- same performance

HIGHMEMFIX=1

[MAIN]

FIBER_FRAME_TIME_FRACTION=0.20

[TERRAIN]

LOD_RADIUS=6.500000

After adding these i didnt see anything i could really notice in terms of performance. Some people say they do some say they dont. What led me to think something is wrong is no matter what i do and what i tweak im getting the same performance. Well not actually because when i get in the NGX at any airport the frames go down. thats the only downfall to that great product, it eats resources.

I normally get 20-30, but in remote areas away from scenery and traffic, yes I routinely see over 50, over 90 from time to time, and +100 on rare occasions.

There is ONE way to know how well your system really is doing, take a standarized performance test and compare computers with similar hardware to your own. I assure you mine is about the middle of the road for systems similar to my overclocked i5 system (4.3Gz, 560Ti).

FSXMark11 <== (MOBO hardware forum sticky here on Avsim), it will tell you exactly where your system rates compared to other systems of similar or dissimilar hardware! Just look at the results chart and compare to yours !

Ryzen5 5800X3D, RTX4070, 600 Watt, TWO Dell S3222DGM 32" screens spanned with Nvidia surround 5185 x 1440p, 32 GB RAM, 4 TB  PCle 3 NVMe, Warthog throttle, CH Flightstick, Honeycomb Alpha yoke, CH quad, 3 Logitech panels, 2 StreamDecks, Desktop Aviator Trim Panel.

Change

To just this

TEXTURE_MAX_LOAD=4096

Change this

LOD_RADIUS=6.500000

To this

LOD_RADIUS=4.500000

If your sliders are at max or close to it, you will never get 30 fps in all situations. FSX is an old game using old technology so you are limited. In a complicated virtual cockpit on the ground in an addon airport you will probably see frames in the teens sometimes.

<br />I have had two high end rigs and if you crank everything up and have multiple addons you may struggle to get mid to low teens.<br />

This, once again as I've seen so many other posts w/ essentially the same stance, just makes no sense to me. Look what I'm using. From looking at CPU Charts on Tom's, I figure an i7 3770K at 4.5Gh should be nearly DOUBLE the general CPU performance of what I'm using now, and that is factoring in the o'clock I use now at 3.72Ghz and as I say, 4.5Ghz on the new box. I'm sitting right now at KORD, GSX functioning away, nVInspector w/ 16x AA, and 8xs AF, 8x Supersampling enabled, road traffic at 8%, airport and air traffic at about 30%, autogen at DENSE, and everything else full tilt right on the sliders. REX E+, GEX, AccuFeel (gr8!),QW757 which while it is no NGX is not completely easy on frames, everything looks fabulous: 27-28 FPS parked w/ engines running ready to taxi. Taxiing on to the runway and TO is is bouncing around between 19 and 23. I've got FSPassengersX running, plus LiveATC.net, etc. What is wrong w/ this picture? Sure, I'm not in the NGX, but still? 1920x1200. LOD 4.5 only, but that's decent enough. If I get in the 737NGX and TO at PHKO w/ FSDT airport, 24-26FPS around the airport and during TO. Then to 30 locked quite quickly--lots of ocean water so that's low impact. BUT STILL! I have been trying to be patient for Haswell and if that flops back to IB or SB w/ water cooling, etc. But this sounds like a setup for serious disappointment! Is it that people just are inclined to tax the heck out of their new build and ultimately they accept poor ('low teens'? yep, exceedingly poor!) performance in exchange for eye candy, or is it that the new box just doesn't equate to double the performance?

Noel

System:  7800x3D, Thermal Grizzly Kryonaut, Noctua NH-U12A, MSI Pro 650-P WiFi, G.SKILL Ripjaws S5 Series 32GB (2 x 16GB) 288-Pin PC RAM DDR5 6000, WD NVMe 2Tb x 1, Sabrent NVMe 2Tb x 1, RTX 4090 FE, Corsair RM1000W PSU, Win11 Home, LG Ultra Curved Gsync Ultimate 3440x1440, Phanteks Enthoo Pro Case, TCA Boeing Edition Yoke & TQ, Cessna Trim Wheel, RTSS Framerate Limiter w/ Edge Sync for near zero Frame Time Variance achieving ultra-fluid animation at lower frame rates.

Aircraft used in A Pilot's Life V2:  PMDG 738, Aerosoft CRJ700, FBW A320nx, WT 787X

By the way, does anyone know if it is possible to install more than one FSX installation on the same computer? FSXMark11 asks to be run on a freshly installed FSX. Some folks might be hesitant to uninstall FSX to run the test...

Ryzen5 5800X3D, RTX4070, 600 Watt, TWO Dell S3222DGM 32" screens spanned with Nvidia surround 5185 x 1440p, 32 GB RAM, 4 TB  PCle 3 NVMe, Warthog throttle, CH Flightstick, Honeycomb Alpha yoke, CH quad, 3 Logitech panels, 2 StreamDecks, Desktop Aviator Trim Panel.

Change

To just this

TEXTURE_MAX_LOAD=4096

Change this

LOD_RADIUS=6.500000

To this

LOD_RADIUS=4.500000

If your sliders are at max or close to it, you will never get 30 fps in all situations. FSX is an old game using old technology so you are limited. In a complicated virtual cockpit on the ground in an addon airport you will probably see frames in the teens sometimes.

i meant i use either "4096" or "2048" not both numbers but i still get the same performance. i guess its because i dont have any 4096 textures except REX. What ive actually trying now is what ryanbatcund suggested and uninstalling FSX and doing a fresh install with the default bios settings with my cpu at regular speed and checking stability. I think I might install all of my addons at this speed too. Id like to think of it as liking my girlfriend without makeup! Getting to know what my processor can do straight out of the box!

Make sure that you set the affinitymask to reflect your setup. The exact value depends on wether or not you have enabled HT. It's also a good idea to not run FSX on core 0, as windows and most other processes is running on it

vatsim s3

1133704.png