Sign in to follow this  
Ty53650

Best Weather Program to pair with NGX

Opus and REX textures works perfectly including winds aloft..

Derek C.

Boeing777_Banner_Pilot.jpg

I use FSrealWX lite, it's free, light and updated frequently. It has an option to generate slighly gusty surface winds, something OPUS and ASA don't have...On approach, wind isn't constant, but always changing direction and speed.

Teo Halfen

I use FSrealWX lite, it's free, light and updated frequently. It has an option to generate slighly gusty surface winds, something OPUS and ASA don't have...On approach, wind isn't constant, but always changing direction and speed.

Teo Halfen

:clapping: EXCELLENT!

ZORAN

Are you sure? They do have GRIB data or is that something different?

I am positive. If you are at a gate at JFK enrtering wind info for 32 waypoints of a KJFK-KLAX flight how are you going to know what to enter for GSH VOR (Goshen, IN) which is part of the route. OpusFSX will give you winds aloft over KJFK but that's all.

Michael Cubine

YES, you get forecast winds aloft. If somebody tells you differently, they don't know what they are talking about.

You don't know what you are taliking about. See the reply to tcas_climb.

Michael Cubine

You don't know what you are taliking about. See the reply to tcas_climb.

I saw your reply. Just proves that you don't get it.

erm... when I asked whether Opus gave wind aloft forecasts you said yes, then proceeded to say that they needed to be obtained from RW charts online because they aren't in a fancy window in the weather engine. It can't be both. Opus either presents you with enroute forecast winds aloft, or it doesn't. It appears that it doesn't. That's not to say that it doesn't inject the correct winds. That's another matter.

So I guess I don't get it either...

I use AS2012 SP2, and it's a GREAT weather injector / configurator.

Main Simulation Rig:

Ryzen 5600x, 32GB RAM, Nvidia RTX 3060 Ti, 1 TB & 500 GB M.2 nvme drives, Win11.

Glider pilot since 1980...

Avid simmer since 1992...

@@Mickel and @@pcubine

Sorry about that, you are both correct in that sense. Seems we have a different understanding of what "providing forecast winds aloft" mean. In my head it's the winds and temperatures in it self and not the presentation in the menus. 

Personally, I always use real world sources when planning flights anyways.

Teo Halfen

this utility provides a visual text of winds/temps aloft and is also a great tool for vatsim with getting the weather at destination!

I still use opus for the actual flight

ZORAN

YES, you get forecast winds aloft. If somebody tells you differently, they don't know what they are talking about.

Winds aloft in Opus is based on realworld data and it works perfectly.

Opus just doesn't show you the winds aloft directly in a fancy window from within the Opus menu, but you can easily get the forecast winds aloft pictured from real world aviation weather charts and that's also how real pilots see the forecast winds aloft pictured.  

What specific report in OpusFSX will show you winds aloft at 31 waypoints between KJFK-KLAX? Using weather maps is not OpusFSX. I use OpusFSX for weather but I use the Nav Log and Coded Route Weather from AS2012 for forecasted winds aloft when flying the NGX.

I saw your reply. Just proves that you don't get it.

Stop talking in generalities and be more specfic.

Sorry about that, you are both correct in that sense. Seems we have a different understanding of what "providing forecast winds aloft" mean.

No worries. I see where you are coming from as well. I read 'Opus tells you what the forecast winds aloft are', I think you read 'Opus injects the winds that are forecast up there into the sim', or something like that. Either way, the wind is more or less right, it's just about how that information is gathered by us that's different.

Cheers

Mike

I've used all wx engines and I'm currently using Opus with AS 2012 textures. I find this combination very good!

I know some people are saying AS for example is a better choice when it comes to winds aloft etc but when it comes to what I actually see in the simulator when flying and the overall weather experience no other wx engine has ever given me a more realistiacally looking experience than Opus.

Richard Åsberg

Thanks for everyones input, I'm still undecided between OPUS and AS2012.  If I understand this correctly, OPUS, while injecting realistic winds aloft data, does not enable you to see what the forecast winds are for individual waypoints?  Sounds like AS2012 does show you winds aloft per waypoint?  So in the real world, if an NG pilot wanted to enter winds aloft data for every waypoint in the flight plan, how would they obtain that information?  Dispatch?  Is it even realistic to have that information available and enter it for EVERY waypoint? 

Niether program causes the dreaded S-turns for the NGX though, correct?