Sign in to follow this  
jonss1948

How Do You Control Your Payware Keys?

I'm having a really bad experience and need to remove files from my SSd Drive before an os reinstall. I'm trying to find emails with passwords and keys and receipts and about 407 different ways from Tuesday regarding info required to reactivate my payware. Ok, maybe I need to attend to this area. Has any really nice person written any software that can organize all this stuff? I've got all this info spread across 6 drives.

Jon

Hi

I just keep all of my serial numbers , software keys etc. etc on a list which I keep on an exterior back up drive and on a DVD disk that way I always have two backups of all the info I need. I also have a shortcut to the backup drive on my tool bar so they are always quickly available. Hope this helps.....................John

Easiest way is to print your purchase reciept, with the product activation code, and stick it in a 3-ring binder  :P

I have it saved in Notepad, backed up onto a USB and also created a folder in my email to save them in also.

Chris Ferguson

PC Specs(Rebuilt 1/11/19): i7-9700K - Non-OC'd, EVGA RTX 2080ti, G.Skillz 16GB Ram 3000mhz, EVGA SuperNOVA 1000w PSU, Cooler Master ML360R, ASRock Phantom Gaming 4 MoBo, 2x 2TB HDD, 1x 1TB Samsung EVO SSD, 1x 220GB WD SSD

Hi
I just keep all of my serial numbers , software keys etc. etc on a list which I keep on an exterior back up drive and on a DVD disk that way I always have two backups of all the info I need. I also have a shortcut to the backup drive on my tool bar so they are always quickly available. Hope this helps.....................John

Easiest way is to print your purchase reciept, with the product activation code, and stick it in a 3-ring binder :P

I envy people who are organised. I was holding the door open when they handed it out. What? You mean, actually put it all in the one place and you mean employ that little used form of communication, handwriting. That's quite brilliant. I have so much to do. I must remember to record these things before I open the newly purchased product. Another downside of multiple boot systems and email clients on each one.

Jon

I search my gmail for the product in question. Has saved me many times. Also a lot of the sellers, like sim market, has a list of all my purchases in my account page.

I'm having a really bad experience and need to remove files from my SSd Drive before an os reinstall. I'm trying to find emails with passwords and keys and receipts and about 407 different ways from Tuesday regarding info required to reactivate my payware. Ok, maybe I need to attend to this area. Has any really nice person written any software that can organize all this stuff? I've got all this info spread across 6 drives.

Jon

I have an FSAddon folder that I keep subfolders of all payware companies.  Within those folders I have the installers and keys.  Years ago I learned my lesson by not keeping this stuff organized.

All developers especially Flight1 offer easy ways to retrieve what you bought.  Flight1 and Simmarket are the best, it's very easy to get keys to your purchases...

FS2020 

Alienware Aurora R11 10th Gen Intel Core i7 10700F - Windows 11 Home 32GB Ram
NVIDIA GeForce RTX 4060 Ti 16GB DLSS 3 - HP Reverb G2

I just copy and paste the receipt/SN into Evernote. Since it's cloud based, have an instant offsite backup, and of course, its super easy to find said key when I need it :)

(With OneNote and Outlook there's even an option built in to export out to OneNote, but I prefer Evernote overall)

In fact, Evernote and OneNote are used to store just about any relevant or useful electronic snippet I may need to refer back to (cfg tweaks, reg hacks, tutorials, scripts, Excel formulae, shared recipe book and on and on and on)...

Louise

London, UK

I like to misplace them, hunt around for days, and then open support tickets and have to give personal info to get new/old ones back.

The man way.

Sent from my Apple communications device.

I keep mine on a harddrive, in the folder with the product installer as a .txt file.  If I want to install an addon, the key is always with it in the same folder with a text file that reminds me what version is installed already.

Also, I buy most my stuff from Simmarket or other similar vendors who are willing to keep my downloads and keys indefinitely.  If a vendor doesn't keep the downloads and keys, I go somewhere else to buy.

I never (or I should say, very rarely) buy anything on DVD for FSX or X-Plane 10.

I use the simple database in Microsoft Works.  That way I can sort and find anything I need almost instantly.  This applies to FSX serial numbers and all the passwords and usernames for the dozens websites I like to visit.

Dennis Trawick

Screen Shot Forum Rules

AVSIMSignature_zpsed110b13.jpg

Keep them on my email. Separate folder labeled "Flightsim downloads". Works like a charm.

I like to misplace them, hunt around for days, and then open support tickets and have to give personal info to get new/old ones back.

The man way.

Sent from my Apple communications device.

That's the way. This is my method. It's just that the amount of payware I have now has grown like topsy while I wasn't looking and I'ts becoming a chore at re-install time. I've had dual boot systems with email on each one. I'm beginning to think the only good dual boot system is an os on seperate networked computers. That's where this system is going.

Jon

I make separate folders for the product downloads.  Then I print product keys/order confirmations to Acrobat (pdf) files and keep a copy in the respective download folders, and also copy them to a folder on a thumb drive dedicated to FSX files.  My system also has front-panel slide-in hard drive bays and that allows me to cold swap backup drives of the identical model to my primary drive.  Seagate Disk Wizard allows me to clone my primary drive to the slide-in drives, which I rotate a minimum of once a month.  I have a total of three.  I verify the clones as fully bootable once made by changing my BIOS boot drive options.

Frank Patton
MasterCase Pro H500M; MSI Z490 WiFi MOB; i7 10700k 3.8 Ghz; Gigabyte RTX 3080 12gb OC; H100i Pro liquid cooler; 32GB DDR4 3600;  Gold RMX850X PSU;
ASUS 
VG289 4K 27" Monitor; Honeycomb Alpha & Bravo, Crosswind 3's w/dampener.  
Former USAF meteorologist & ground weather school instructor. AOPA Member #07379126

"I will never put my name on a product that does not have in it the best that is in me." - John Deere

Keep them on my email. Separate folder labeled "Flightsim downloads". Works like a charm.

What happens if you lose your hard drive?