Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Hi all. Based on what we know so far, is the Haswell going to be worth spending the extra $$$ on versus the Ivy? I am building a new system and wondering if it is worth it.

Help AVSIM continue to serve you!
Please donate today!

The value of Haswell is still not known.

We should have some solid test numbers over the coming weeks as more tests get leaked and some testers get their hands on the chips. 

Alright thanks Ben. Long time no talk by the way! We shall wait and see how the Haswell is. Hopefully it is a substantial improvement, but I am kinda doubting it.

We may have to wait longer than that. The testers will have engineering samples.

I would say we need to wait until the community as a whole has experienced what it has to offer.

Remember Ivy Bridge, and how it was some time before it was discovered that Intel used a thick layer of TIM instead of solder under the IHS?

Too early to tell actually, but they claim a 10-15% improvement over Ivy Bridge, and Ivy Bridge is 10-15% faster than Sandy. So that would mean if you have Sandy Bridge it's going to be 21-32% faster or so ( 1.10x1.10 = 1.21 (21%) and 1.15x1.15=1.32 (32%) ). In reality though, I think the difference, especially in FSX, is going to be 15% over Sandy, and 5 - 10% over Ivy. But time will tell. Remember that overclockability and tempatures are going to be very important as well.

And as for cost, it should be on par with Ivy so no need to worry there. I'd wait it out until release in a few weeks and see what reviews are like before making a decision. As I said, costs should be comparable and if anything Ivy/Z77 prices will come down.

Over the last few weeks I've noticed Z77 Motherboard prices falling. Example being Asrock Extreme 4 had dropped from approx AUD $140 to $119.00

Ivy Bridge is 10-15% faster than Sandy

more like 5%

Also I thing that Asus will announce there 2 to 3 new mother boards with the smaller cpu

socket I think their's only 1150 pin's, in a couple of weeks..

I can't see much point in upgrading from a fast Sandy Bridge system at the moment. I mean, how much of a performance increase are you going to get for your money?

We may have to wait longer than that. The testers will have engineering samples.

I would say we need to wait until the community as a whole has experienced what it has to offer.

Remember Ivy Bridge, and how it was some time before it was discovered that Intel used a thick layer of TIM instead of solder under the IHS?

Testers a.k.a. reviewers, get retail samples.  I should know, I used to be one.  

I can't see much point in upgrading from a fast Sandy Bridge system at the moment. I mean, how much of a performance increase are you going to get for your money?

I fully agree.  15% improvement?  Really?  The differences are so small right now I'm considering going back to hexacore SB-E.  I think much hinges on how well Haswell overclocks.  If it's much better than IB then it's bit of a no brainer to go w/ Haswell I'd say.

Testers a.k.a. reviewers, get retail samples.  I should know, I used to be one.  

Fair enough. But a few examples from testers won't be a big enough sample to determine what it has to offer on average.

When a multitude of users have experienced Haswell, stock and overclocked, we will get a better perspective.

I think you should all wait for the next evolutionary release. That will probably be at least 1% faster than Haswell.

For me it all boils down to overclockability. If lntel has corrected the TIM issue with the Haswell I would definitely opt for it over an Ivy.

Haswell is for people like me who are still rocking Core 2 or AMD systems...

With the current rate of evolution in the CPU world, it's probably going to take 5+ years before anything comes out that offers a substantial improvement over Sandy Bridge... that is, unless Intel completely kills off its desktop CPU division and focuses on low-power servers and tablets. Like FSX itself, high-end desktop CPUs are a dying breed. It's all about touch and <2W SoC's.

high-end desktop CPUs are a dying breed. It's all about touch and <2W SoC's.

I heard that so many years now that I start thinking it will not happen. Nvidia still pushes out state of the art 3D Cards for desktops, plenty of mobo's to choose from and plenty of CPU's to choose from... Same thing was also said about PC gaming when the consoles came out that sooner or later developers would stop making games for PC and fokus on consoles, but still there are plenty of game releases for PC's.

So im not that pessimistic and believe that desktops will be with us for years to come unless the laptops gets as powerful as desktops.

I'm curious in the improvement of the Haswell in regard to an i7/920. Those CPU's were/are still used all over the FSX place since it too was a great overclock CPU.

Its Haswell launch day, and we finally have an answer to this question:

it's a resounding NO.  Haswell has taken another step backwards with regard to overclocking.  A huge disappointment, all I can do is shake my head.  No one has bothered to de-lid it yet but if you want more than 4.3-4.5GHz it looks like you'll have to pop the top off.  At this point it is quite clear that Intel does not want you overclocking their chips very much unless you spend $500 or more on an Extreme edition chip.

Shame on you Intel.  

Its Haswell launch day, and we finally have an answer to this question:

it's a resounding NO. Haswell has taken another step backwards with regard to overclocking. A huge disappointment, all I can do is shake my head. No one has bothered to de-lid it yet but if you want more than 4.3-4.5GHz it looks like you'll have to pop the top off. At this point it is quite clear that Intel does not want you overclocking their chips very much unless you spend $500 or more on an Extreme edition chip.

Shame on you Intel.

Yep, completely underwhelmed by this release.

Sent from my HTC6435LVW using Tapatalk 2

Hi all:

Believe it or not,.I am still on my trusty old Q9650 with a DFI Lanparty UT X-48 MB on Win7 with 8Gb RAM. Two sets of raided WD Velocorapters. Any recommendations as to which series of processors I should be looking at next? And, any idea of performance increase? I use all Dreamteam airports, FS Genesis, Megascenery, etc etc. I don't really concentrate on the planes but scenery and airports. Or if this is redundant, please point me to a link.....

Thx,

P.

Will these chips fit into the

ASUS P8Z77-V DELUXE Motherboard does anyone know? Thanks.

Will these chips fit into the

ASUS P8Z77-V DELUXE Motherboard does anyone know? Thanks.

No they won't. You need a Z87 mobo.

It's now possible to order Haswell and prices seems to be the same as Ivy and Sandy chips. Just to clarify. Haswell does not seem to be worth a lot extra money. But at the same price it's probably worth it.

Edit: That's if you'll overclock. If you plan on running stock Haswell is the way to go.