Hi all. Based on what we know so far, is the Haswell going to be worth spending the extra $$$ on versus the Ivy? I am building a new system and wondering if it is worth it.

The value of Haswell is still not known.

We should have some solid test numbers over the coming weeks as more tests get leaked and some testers get their hands on the chips. 

Alright thanks Ben. Long time no talk by the way! We shall wait and see how the Haswell is. Hopefully it is a substantial improvement, but I am kinda doubting it.

We may have to wait longer than that. The testers will have engineering samples.

I would say we need to wait until the community as a whole has experienced what it has to offer.

Remember Ivy Bridge, and how it was some time before it was discovered that Intel used a thick layer of TIM instead of solder under the IHS?

Too early to tell actually, but they claim a 10-15% improvement over Ivy Bridge, and Ivy Bridge is 10-15% faster than Sandy. So that would mean if you have Sandy Bridge it's going to be 21-32% faster or so ( 1.10x1.10 = 1.21 (21%) and 1.15x1.15=1.32 (32%) ). In reality though, I think the difference, especially in FSX, is going to be 15% over Sandy, and 5 - 10% over Ivy. But time will tell. Remember that overclockability and tempatures are going to be very important as well.

And as for cost, it should be on par with Ivy so no need to worry there. I'd wait it out until release in a few weeks and see what reviews are like before making a decision. As I said, costs should be comparable and if anything Ivy/Z77 prices will come down.

Over the last few weeks I've noticed Z77 Motherboard prices falling. Example being Asrock Extreme 4 had dropped from approx AUD $140 to $119.00

Ivy Bridge is 10-15% faster than Sandy

more like 5%

Also I thing that Asus will announce there 2 to 3 new mother boards with the smaller cpu

socket I think their's only 1150 pin's, in a couple of weeks..

I can't see much point in upgrading from a fast Sandy Bridge system at the moment. I mean, how much of a performance increase are you going to get for your money?

Christopher Low

UK2000 Beta Tester

FSBetaTesters3.png

We may have to wait longer than that. The testers will have engineering samples.

I would say we need to wait until the community as a whole has experienced what it has to offer.

Remember Ivy Bridge, and how it was some time before it was discovered that Intel used a thick layer of TIM instead of solder under the IHS?

Testers a.k.a. reviewers, get retail samples.  I should know, I used to be one.  

I can't see much point in upgrading from a fast Sandy Bridge system at the moment. I mean, how much of a performance increase are you going to get for your money?

I fully agree.  15% improvement?  Really?  The differences are so small right now I'm considering going back to hexacore SB-E.  I think much hinges on how well Haswell overclocks.  If it's much better than IB then it's bit of a no brainer to go w/ Haswell I'd say.

Noel

System:  9900K@5.0gHz@1.23v all cores, MSI MPG Z390M GAMING EDGE AC, Noctua NH-D15S w/ steady supply of 40-60F ambient air intake, Corsair Vengeance 32Gb LPX 3200mHz DDR4, Sabrent NVMe 2Tb x 2, RTX 4090 FE, Corsair RM 850W PSU, Win10 Pro, LG Ultra Curved Gsync Ultimate 3440x1440, TCA Boeing Edition Yoke & TQ, Cessna Trim Wheel, RTSS Framerate Limiter w/ Edge Sync for near zero Frametime Variance achieving ultra-fluid animation at lower frame rates.

Aircraft used in A Pilot's Life V2:  PMDG 738, Aerosoft CRJ700, FBW A320NX, WT 787X

Testers a.k.a. reviewers, get retail samples.  I should know, I used to be one.  

Fair enough. But a few examples from testers won't be a big enough sample to determine what it has to offer on average.

When a multitude of users have experienced Haswell, stock and overclocked, we will get a better perspective.

Release is at the beginning of June so only a few weeks away.