Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

fwerff

Why no good DC-3 available?

Back in the FS2002/FS2004 days MAAM did a pretty good job at replicating the DC-3.

I know there are ports to bring this addon to FSX, but it's not nearly as good in FSX as it could be.

My dream is to have an A2A rendition of the DC-3 and while looking into this, I noticed there is actually only one FSX native DC-3; the one from Justflight.

Now the DC-3 from Justflight is not the worst airplane ever, but in my opinion it doesn't do the grand old lady of aviation any justice.

The DC-3 is without a doubt one of the most (if not the most) famous proplines ever existed. Still no top quality high detail DC-3 is available for FSX.

Why not? There are still lots of DC-3's out there either stored or still active, tons of reference material is available and easy to obtain. Why doesn't A2A or any other respected developer pick up the development? I'm sure a lot of people would buy it .

Any insight on this? Would be nice if some developers would chime in as well...

Help AVSIM continue to serve you!
Please donate today!

I would LOVE to see the DC3/C47 in FSX in accusim-like form. Although beauty is in the eye of the beholder, I consider it, in my opinion, to be one of the most iconic and beautiful aircraft ever built, along with the Spitfire...

Perhaps the community should set up a donation fund to get Scott to develop one with accusim... I would happily put €100 towards this. Get a few thousand similar minds together, and you have quite a sum...

A

A realistic DC3 in PMDG or A2A quality is in there for the number one things I want for FSX.

A2A would do a magnificent job. PMDG are creating the DC-6, which is going to be a stunner without a doubt! Hopefully some time soon either of these devs will jump onto the DC3 and show her in all its glory.

My understanding is that no one will develop a DC-3 because it could take away from MAAM DC-3 sales and no one wants to do that. This has been mentioned on the A2A site.

Hook

If you don't mind turboprops, Manfred Jahn's BT-67 is quite nice, and freeware.  I agree tho, an A2A or PMDG C-47/DC-3 package would be awesome.  Milviz could do a great job too I think.  My grandfather was a C-47 pilot during WW2.  That reliable old gooney bird brought him home every time.  There are still operations in Latin/South America that can only be handled by a DC-3 with its ruggedness and load carrying ability.  It can never be replaced.

Cheers

TJ

My understanding is that no one will develop a DC-3 because it could take away from MAAM DC-3 sales and no one wants to do that. This has been mentioned on the A2A site.

Hook

I thought the MAAM developer no longer would do anything on the DC3, maybe any new DC3 developer could hook up with MAAM instead, problem solved.

It may not be the piston version, but the Basler BT-67 Base Pack (see bottom of page 2 for the aircraft) is arguably one of the best freeware aircraft I have ever downloaded for any flight simulator.  Indeed, it's one of the best aircraft I've ever used in FSX, freeware or payware.  Some really outstanding work by these guys.

Definitely worth a DL.

To be honest, in my opinion the old MAAM one is better.

VC lacks functionality and the flight model is far from accurate.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

MAAM canceled the project to build an FSX native version. Not sure why but I know developer Roy Chaffin was never a fan of FSX and the development quirks it brought.

I will try the Basler, but I prefer the old piston lady

Yea but it looks nice and it flies ok its hard to replicate the heavy feeling a the real Dc-3s controls In a flight sim. Did I mention they were heavy I will say that flying that Dc-3 was the highlight of my time as a pilot. I don't have much Dc-3 time but the time I do have has left my face stuck in a permanent smile.

Will also recommend the Basler, I use the sonic solutions Twin Otter sound pack as well which makes it sound sweet, however would buy a great DC3 in an instant, would even put in to kickstarter for one, especially as started flying with BuffaloVA.

Those capable publishers are too busy designing another Cessna´s and Boeing´s. But, we have a descent DC-2 and by buying it, you support aviation history.

There is another FSX native version! ........

(small print:    but it's a DC-2 not a DC-3, but they are pretty similar!)

Now there was an old FS9 version of this DC-2, but this is actually a full, native FSX re-development.

This one too supports a real world DC-2 maintenance, in the Netherlands

It has excellent FDE and some good failure stuff, such as the need to hand pump the landing gear if it fails!

Uiver DC-2:-           http://www.flight1.com/products.asp?product=dc2fsxflight1

:smile:

There is another FSX native version! ........

(small print: but it's a DC-2 not a DC-3, but they are pretty similar!)

Now there was an old FS9 version of this DC-2, but this is actually a full, native FSX re-development.

This one too supports a real world DC-2 maintenance, in the Netherlands

It has excellent FDE and some good failure stuff, such as the need to hand pump the landing gear if it fails!

Uiver DC-2:- http://www.flight1.com/products.asp?product=dc2fsxflight1

:smile:

Yeah, I have that one. Bought it to support the Dutch aircraft.

But still.... It's not the A2A-quality DC-3 I dream off...

All you need is X-Plane.

Maybe, but then you'll hear me nagging about all kinds of other stuff I miss :-)

But the MAAM DC-3 doesn't work!!! Not for me, anyway. I've tried all the fixes and still can't get the yoke out of the way of the instrument cluster. And I'm sure I'm not the only one. I bought it for FS9 and then years later when I got back into flightsimming bought it again for FSX when I probably could have dug up my old serial number somewhere and got it for free. I loved the aircraft and was happy to contribute. But MAAM has made a decision not to support it anymore--and I'm not knocking it, it just is--so nobody should be reluctant to develop a DC-3 because they are afraid to hurt MAAM sales. I would pay top dollar for a good DC-3!

The FSX MAAMsim DC-3 was an FS9 portover.  MAAM half promised to make a pukka FSX version but failed. The market therefore is open for a decent DC-3 for FSX and I believe that A2A would make the best one. I hope they change their minds as it would be a best-seller for them.

An A2A DC-3.  The mind boggles at the obviousness of the idea.  That would be cool beyond speaking.

An A2A DC-3.  The mind boggles at the obviousness of the idea.  That would be cool beyond speaking.

Yeah, no kidding.  It's annoying that they haven't done a DC-3/C-47.  Anyone who knows anything about old planes loves the old Douglas, and would likely buy an AccuSimmed DC-3 without even thinking about it.

Talk about cash cow...  :rolleyes:

All you need is X-Plane.

When A2A start modifying their aircraft for X-Plane I might consider moving over - but not before.   ^_^

An A2A DC3?  I'd buy it in an instant!!!!  

Talk about cash cow...  :rolleyes:

It would soak up money like a sponge in water..

Since when did another developer having the same aircraft stop any other developer develeping a better 1? ( or in some developers case's, trying to.. :lol: )

Since when did another developer having the same aircraft stop any other developer develeping a better 1?

Probably never? But I think the MAAM DC-3 was made to generate revenue for a non-profit museum organization, so maybe that is what caused the hesitation?

But that's old news, and I think the sim market is ripe for this kind of development now.

I've drooled over the idea of an A2A DC3 or similar, it would  without doubt take pride of place in my hanger! Now I have the JF version and while it lacks a proper, good VC, IMO the FDE and sound set are excellent. OK, I know I can't comment on the FDE  too much' cos I haven't, sadly, flown a DC3, although I have been lucky enough to have flown in one. I feel the VC is too pristine and 'PC gamey' looking for my liking. I had the DC2 but was disappointed with the textures, not up to the kind of standard that we've all come to expect from our addons these days. 

It's seems quite incredulous that one of these "master" devs mentioned wouldn't do the DC3-C47 for FSX. It has to be the most requested aircraft ever on the A2A site. Indeed - if it were a sense of feeling somewhat guilty regarding the MAA Museum - I'm very sure that a token percentage of each sale could be diverted to the Museum - the goodwill engendered therein would certainly benefit both parties - and be good for the Sim hobby (us users) as a whole. As a plain ol' business proposition - it's almost a no-brainer

And to think that these two leading companies - A2A and RealAir would produce a competing C172 instead???   :wacko:  This is a crying shame.

and then, fired up by this thread, and before my (small) rant (sometimes I'm allowed) I look elsewhere on the FSX forum, and see this...  Carenado, who have just announced their next project - what we all need - a ruddy Beechcraft 1900D...

Yay - Cessna! - Yay Beech!, Oh, the thrilling sound of the Continental or the Lycoming at full chat on take-off...  :bad: