Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Tatave

A2A Simulations 25% OFF SALE!

Help AVSIM continue to serve you!
Please donate today!

I'd been debating the Spitfire for while. That ended this morning. Must resist the Stratocruiser... May prove futile.

I can only buy one.  I have no A2A products now.  Which do you recommend? Is the Stratocruiser a no-brainer buy here or should I consider something else too?     

If you like GA, looking out the window, the Cub is a no brainer. If you prefer warbirds, go with taste. The Mustang is the latest, so will be the most refined - and there is the civil Mustang if that floats your boat. The big Boeing sounds like one very in depth piece of kit, which is part of the reason I'm hesitant. That said... big, oily, noisy radials.... noice.

B377 tempted but I can barely find time to fly what I currently own.  $50 is still not cheap enough for something I'd barely use.

This is too good to pass up...I'll barely use the 377, but I love the Aerosoft Catalina and the An-2 for the same exact reasons I'm gonna love this Stratocruiser.

For anyone debating the Spit, or Cub, or Mustang. You have to try it to believe it. The Spit is a true pain to manage well but is gorgeous, arguably more so than the Mustang. They both are amazingly complex, yet once you get the hang of things they come second nature. A total bargain now!

Thanks for the heads-up.  I needed an excuse to get the Spitfire.  Also threw in the 3D lights.  Time to play.

Every A2A plane is excellent, just pick what is your fancy.  The Civil P-51 for those who want a fast GA, Cub for those who want slow simplistic GA.  All the warbirds are great. 

The 377 COTS package is one of the most complete airliner simulations out there, it will teach you a lot about managing a vintage airliner, especially for those looking forward to the PMDG DC-6.

Cheers

TJ

Accufeel is amazing. I have every A2A plane except the 377 (sounds a bit daunting), but Accufeel's effects for taxiing, wind, turbulence and stall conditions are not to be missed. Plus you can tweak the defaults it infers for every plane you fly, until the cows come home.

There is a small issue sometimes with turbulence, if you experience it (I haven't), it's easy to turn off per plane.

Don't need to turn it on for any of the Accusimmed planes.

Definitely get the whole pkg (plane with Accusim) if you buy any of them, night and day difference in the experience.

I've been holding off on the single-engine warbirds (I found the P-47 a great but very demanding experience, so I haven't come in on the Spit, P-40 or Mustang).  But I've been toying with the idea and this is going to push me over.  Looks like I'm about to become an Accusim completist.

..the 377 (sounds a bit daunting)...

I avoided it for that reason until the Captain of the Ship upgrade came along.  The complexity is still there if you want it but the automated crew makes it quite manageable -- there's a lot you can delegate, including all the engine management to the flight engineer.  I've found it easier to work with than many other multi-engine transports.  Actually it was the crew automation on the B-17 that got me into big multi-engine aircraft, which I love in real life but always steered clear of in the sim, since I don't like to micromanage.  A2A has done a very good job of expanding my flightsim horizions.

Wow, just realised that there's only ONE A2A product I don't have... That being the P47 Razorback!!!

Of the A2A Accusim fighter line, the P-47 is the most difficult to fly.  You have to manually control everything, including the supercharger.  If you can handle the P-47, you can handle the others easily.  The Spit, P-40, and P-51 are a bit easier by comparison.  The P-51 is actually quite automated, all you have to really do is fly it, and keep power settings within limitations.   These planes will bite back if mishandled, but they won't blow up if you breath wrong,  they will teach you a lot about being a good pilot.

Cheers

TJ

Why is it I find the B377 ugly? Its like the AMC Pacer of old prop airliners to me.

I've bought that "ugly" B377 with COTS package. Looking forward to my first flight with her.

The 377 is VERY ugly imo. The newer tubeliners look much, much better. I'm glad I wasn't around when those were still flying. ^.^

I've bought that "ugly" B377 with COTS package. Looking forward to my first flight with her.

Actually, if you buy the plane+accusim bundle, you are not getting the 25% off.

Actually, if you buy the plane+accusim bundle, you are not getting the 25% off.

Yeah, I noticed that too but its still a decent discount.

If you can handle the P-47, you can handle the others easily.

Thanks, TJ.  It was actually your message to that effect in an earlier thread - and also a screenshot you posted of the civilian P-51 cockpit - that helped push me over the line.

Now I've just got to set aside some time to download what I bought...

The 377 is VERY ugly imo. The newer tubeliners look much, much better. I'm glad I wasn't around when those were still flying. ^.^

I think it may be a case of, you had to be there.  My mother used to talk about Stratocruisers as the height of luxury.  I'm not sure she ever flew on one - she might have, once, short-haul, probably from Detroit to New York.  But the advertising that promoted the cabin experience and the downstairs lounge captured a lot of attention.

Me, I can respect them, though the problems with the engines, and the airframes that famously wound up in the ocean, both keep me from romanticizing them too much.  I agree there's a lot to be said for modern hardware.

I realize everyone gets their opinion. It's just that when I see these images, it kind of makes me have an obvious choice!

Well, and for propliner aesthetics, I'd take a Connie over a 377 any day.

But for a quality sim experience involving enormous piston engines, the Stratocruiser is the way to go.

Modern tubes are another matter. If we're talking looks, I'd go for a 757 or (slightly earlier) a DC-8-61. But the Dreamliner ain't half bad...

Well, and for propliner aesthetics, I'd take a Connie over a 377 any day.

But for a quality sim experience involving enormous piston engines, the Stratocruiser is the way to go.

Modern tubes are another matter. If we're talking looks, I'd go for a 757 or (slightly earlier) a DC-8-61. But the Dreamliner ain't half bad...

The 757 is my absolute favorite plane! It's so beautiful! I just picked the 787 due to its extremely modern look.

attachicon.gifimages.jpgattachicon.gifimages (1).jpg

I realize everyone gets their opinion. It's just that when I see these images, it kind of makes me have an obvious choice!

You're right that the 377 isn't the most beautiful bird to ever take to the skies, but at least it looks very different from modern tubeliners, which all looks almost exactly the same to me. Yes, the 747 has a bump on the head and the 380 is uglier than a troll, but other than that I just can't tell them apart.

As a workspace I'd prefer a modern plane of course. The notion of having a good chance of actually getting there in one piece appeals to me very much. In a sim though I like it when there's something for me to do besides watching displays and occasionally pressing buttons.

Also for those who like to pretend they're big, cool airline pilots the COTS add-on will cater to them better than anything else on the market.

Rolf, you have a good point there.

How someone like Airbus could design and build such an ugly aircraft taking into account todays designs potential is beyond my thinking. The A380 is positively bad looking.