Sign in to follow this  
spilok

Is AVSIM site slow or is it my system?

Every site I go to is lightning fast EXCEPT AVISM!  What's happened lately?  It seems that the main site along with all pages is slower than ever.  Please let me know if this is a current problem.

Stan

AVSIM was under DDOS attack for the past few months, that's why everything was running slower than a snail...

See Tom's post in Hanger Chat for details.

Fr. Bill    

AOPA Member: 07141481 AARP Member: 3209010556

Avsim Board of Directors | Avsim Forums Moderator

Well, that at least explains it a bit.  I look forward to its return to normal.  I'll check Hanger Chat.

Stan

Well, it's now after 1 PM EDT, Sunday, 6/30/13 in my neck o' the woods, and Avsim is still dog-slow. Obviously, these attacks haven't stopped. It's been slow up here for the past several days now, more than usual. I hope you can do something quickly to discourage these morons.

I wish you good luck! These DDOS things are nasty.

-= Gary Barth =-

Boeing777_Banner_Pilot.jpg

We are not under an attack. Not all slowness is attributable to that. Right now we are averaging 750 to 850 users online in the usual 15 minute window and that has an impact too. Right now I am getting a 27 millisecond ping time, system load is just over 5 (which is excellent) and the system is averaging an execution time of 1.7 seconds. Once again, I suggest you do a TRACERT to see where the bottle necks are between you and AVSIM.

We are not under an attack. Not all slowness is attributable to that. Right now we are averaging 750 to 850 users online in the usual 15 minute window and that has an impact too. Right now I am getting a 27 millisecond ping time, system load is just over 5 (which is excellent) and the system is averaging an execution time of 1.7 seconds. Once again, I suggest you do a TRACERT to see where the bottle necks are between you and AVSIM.

Forums are acting normal for me as well, once in a while there's a slight lag but it's Sunday which means probably a lot of people are on them.

Tom, is there public data displaying when the forums are most active? I'm curious to know.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk 2

Tom

"I just wanna tell you both: good luck. We're all counting on you."

This appears to be the only slow website for me too. Over the last 3 months or so it seems to have become really slow

I think it is definitely very slow too. Slower than I've seen it in some time.

Once again, I suggest you do a TRACERT to see where the bottle necks are between you and AVSIM.

Well, here you go, sir. Inbound from AS3265 (XS4ALL, The Netherlands), I'm seeing a whopping 93 percent packet loss between the penultimate hop (TenGE13-2.br02.ams01.pccwbtn.net, 195.69.145.37) and the website's server (purple.servers.avsim.net, 205.252.89.43). According to Whois data, the latter network is operated by PCCW Global / Beyond The Network America, Inc, and the former node appears to be their peering router on the AMS-IX.

Unless they're rate limiting ICMP traffic (in which case you probably shouldn't advise people to run a traceroute anyway), and if the server is indeed not under DDoS attack at the moment, there's something seriously wrong on that stretch of network or with the server host. Either way, I'd suggest you contact the hosting provider and have them take a look. The problem lies on their end, not "ours."

More troubleshooting activities available upon request.

Posting from Uk, Tracert

Ping statistics for 205.252.249.58:
Packets: Sent = 4, Received = 4, Lost = 0 (0% loss),

Approximate round trip times in milli-seconds:
Minimum = 90ms, Maximum = 92ms, Average = 90ms

C:\Windows\system32>tracert 205.252.249.58

Tracing route to www.avsim.com [205.252.249.58]
over a maximum of 30 hops:

1    <1 ms    <1 ms    <1 ms  BThomehub.home
  2     7 ms     7 ms     7 ms  217.32.146.71
  3     7 ms     7 ms     7 ms  217.32.146.94
  4     8 ms     8 ms     8 ms  213.120.177.34
  5     8 ms     8 ms     8 ms  217.41.168.59
  6     8 ms     8 ms     8 ms  217.41.168.107
  7     8 ms     8 ms     8 ms  acc1-10GigE-0-1-0-5.l-far.21cn-ipp.bt.net [109.1
59.249.82]
  8    13 ms     8 ms    15 ms  core2-te0-0-0-7.faraday.ukcore.bt.net [109.159.2
49.7]
  9     9 ms     8 ms     8 ms  peer2-xe-8-0-1.redbus.ukcore.bt.net [213.121.193
.95]
 10     9 ms     9 ms     9 ms  194.74.65.6
 11    99 ms    89 ms   103 ms  www.avsim.com [205.252.249.58]

As can be seen the only lag occurs on the last hop.

Well, here you go, sir. Inbound from AS3265 (XS4ALL, The Netherlands), I'm seeing a whopping 93 percent packet loss between the penultimate hop (TenGE13-2.br02.ams01.pccwbtn.net, 195.69.145.37) and the website's server (purple.servers.avsim.net, 205.252.89.43). According to Whois data, the latter network is operated by PCCW Global / Beyond The Network America, Inc, and the former node appears to be their peering router on the AMS-IX.

And here is the same Pingplotter graph from my location, showing absolutely no issues. I don't know what to tell you...

It seems significantly slower to me, the past 2-3 days  (since the recent maintenance ), that it has been for the past month.

I also notice that if I edit a post, it no longer refreshes, and displays the new post.  I have to manually reload the page.

Ping and Traceroute are fine,  just seem to take a significant time to think about returning a page.

Test from "websitepulse.com"

Website test results
URL tested: http://forum.avsim.net

Test performed from: New York, NY

Test performed at: 2013-06-30 19:45:53 (GMT +00:00)

Resolved As: 205.252.89.43

Response Time: 15.519 sec    <<<<<<< The delay

DNS: 0.035 sec

Connect: 0.007 sec

Redirect: 0.000 sec

First byte: 15.286 sec

Last byte: 0.191 sec

Size: 481670 bytes

That being said, it's defiantly not the Slowest FS forum  -- the LM P3D  holds that record , at least from my location on the East Coast USA.

As can be seen the only lag occurs on the last hop.

You tracerted on www.avsim.com, not forum.avsim.net.