Sign in to follow this  
spilok

Is AVSIM site slow or is it my system?

Definitely SLOW today

LUIS LINARES

Processor: Intel Core i9 6700K 9900K (5.0 GHz Turbo) Eight Core; CPU Cooling: NXXT Kraken X62 280mm CPU Liquid Cooler; System Memory: 64GB Corsair DDR4 SDRAM @ 3200 MHz, RGB; Graphics Processor: 11GB Nvidia GeForce RTX 2080 Ti, GDDR6, Primary Drive: 2TB Samsung 850 Pro Solid State Drive (SSD)

Thanks Ryan. Okay, initial load up is slow. How about when you are in the system and going from forum to forum, as an example?

It's better once I'm actually browsing between pages. (I'd still call it slower than normal though) The huge delay is on the initial contact to the site though.

Ryan Maziarz
devteam.jpg

For fastest support, please submit a ticket at http://support.precisionmanuals.com

Lek767, on 30 Jun 2013 - 1:23 PM, said:

Mind downloading and installing a copy of PingPlotter (it's shareware), running a trace to forum.avsim.net using a trace interval of 1 second for about 10 minutes, and posting an image of the resulting trace here (using the "Save as image" option)? That way, it'd be fairly easy to deduce if we're similarly being affected by packet loss, or if the culprit should be sought elsewhere.

avsim_pingplotter.jpg

I'm seeing a big spike on that 2nd to last hit as well. The actual delay in page loading is a lot more than even 500ms though - it's upward of 5 or 6 seconds if not more.

Ryan Maziarz
devteam.jpg

For fastest support, please submit a ticket at http://support.precisionmanuals.com

We obviously have a problem at our COLO site. It looks like a switch or router right before ours. We will be contacting them tomorrow and tracking down this issue.

While some may be having routing issues, even when the "ping plotter" traceroute shows no delay, the Avsim pages still take 5-15 seconds to download.    Something else,  (as well as a router issue), has gone wrong in the past few days.

I get 20-30ms pings along the route, yet it takes 5-15 seconds for pages to load.  (sometimes completely times out and no page is served).

Good luck, Tom.  Looks like we have a slight epidemic here.  I'm sure you'll get to the bottom of it.

Stan

Site is running much faster, I think cutting down the guests to 0 has helped a ton.

Tom

"I just wanna tell you both: good luck. We're all counting on you."

Site is running much faster, I think cutting down the guests to 0 has helped a ton.

Yes. Some are having issues with the last connection to our site. Others, see page load issues, are confusing performance with load. When you have over 900 users on at one time, something has to give. It isn't perfect, but it is what it is. Hopefully the guest access step will help to decrease the load without causing consequential damage, like, AVSIM is unfriendly to everyone but members or some such (which we have heard before). At some point I may just flip the switch and start shedding loads that exceed 10 or 20 on our system. That would speed up access for everyone that could get access, but you would find yourself waiting to get access at peak load times.

Yes. Some are having issues with the last connection to our site. Others, see page load issues, are confusing performance with load. When you have over 900 users on at one time, something has to give. It isn't perfect, but it is what it is. Hopefully the guest access step will help to decrease the load without causing consequential damage, like, AVSIM is unfriendly to everyone but members or some such (which we have heard before). At some point I may just flip the switch and start shedding loads that exceed 10 or 20 on our system. That would speed up access for everyone that could get access, but you would find yourself waiting to get access at peak load times.

I am not familiar with the IP Board software or what modifications/plugins (If that's even the right term) AVSIM is running. Could you briefly explain what creates the high loads? Has AVSIM ever consider limited guest access to just 5 or 10 pages per hour before the system forces a logon?

Tom

Normally when the forums get slow on me pc ( like last night ) i just jump on me tablet and use tapatalk, that tends to cure the slowdowns for me as the forums tend to respond faster in tapatalk than firefox during busy times.

-Paul-

Anyone take a look at the taskbar when an AVSIM page is loading? Look at all the ads loading; rubiconproject.com,google-analytics.com, ads@avsim.net, etc.

Bandwidth or not, 900+ users at the same time or not... other sites get way more traffic, yet load much faster.

Personally, I say just leave the Forum software alone, stop tweaking it all the time, and let it run!

EDIT: Just reloaded the AVSIM Forum page, then came back to this page... 14 seconds for the page to load once all the ADS loaded...

COSIMbanner_AVSIM3.jpg

11:45 Avsim first page load  now 42 seconds. I loaded SimForms around 1 Second and page load also around 1 Second.

This is my last test report.

New Jersey

" I waited so much and clicked "Save Changes" several times...Entire my edit post corrupted. My mistake.

Ahmet Sanal

"Time you enjoyed wasting, was not wasted"

My bottom of the page says Load: 4.66 and Exec. Time: 25.2119, whatever that means.

One thing I have noticed in the last few days and that only occurs here, is that I have to hit Back twice to return from where I came. Using Firefox, I will get to a page, see Ghostery list all the stuff that it is blocking (Google Ajax API and others), read the thread, hit the Back button on my mouse, see Ghostery pop up another listing of what it is blocking and then hit Back a second time to exit out of the page I'm on.

I also just noticed that Ghostery popped up again as I was writing this, make that a third time. So is there some refreshing of the thread going on, over and over again? That all takes system resources and might have shown up during some forum software update or tweak of the code.

The forums are definately slower today, it seems there's more causing the issue whether it be a module or server connectivity.

Tom

Extremely slow here for me as well. It takes about 10-20 seconds before any page on this site pulls up, and even from forum to forum. I hope you get this resolved. It's quite frustrating.

ASUS ROG Maximus Hero XII ▪︎ Intel i9-10900K ▪︎ NVIDIA RTX 3090 FE ▪︎ 64GB Corsair Vengeance RGB Pro ▪︎ Windows 10 Pro (21H1) ▪︎ Samsung 970 EVO Pro 1TB NVME SSD (OS Drive) ▪︎ Samsung 860 EVO 2TB SATA SSD ▪︎ Seagate 4TB SATA HDD ▪︎ Corsair RMx 850W PSU