Sign in to follow this  
Gibbage

Flight 3rd party addon update thread.

Figured I would start a new thread on this, to keep it all in 1 place. 

Just to bring new visiters up to speed, stonelance and I are work ing a set of tools that will allow 3rd party's to convert BASIC aircraft from FSX into Flight.  These tools will be limite and will only work on non-complex aircraft (single engine prop, possible multi-engine prop).  This tool will NOT work with any aircraft that requires external DLL to work, like most 3rd party aircraft in FSX, and no glass panels.  Its also possible to export DEFAULT FSX aircraft into Flight.  This is a work in progress, and things are developing rapidly.  This is being done WITH the blessing from Microsoft, with some restrictions.  More on that later. 

The first 3rd party aircraft being put into Flight is the KC Flight Shop Republic Seabee.  This will be a FREE "Delux" aircraft, and is being used for testing.  If your interested in flying the Seabee in FSX, you can buy it on Aerosoft http://www.aerosoft.com/cgi-local/us/iboshop.cgi?showd,6496239010,D12766 or my web page at www.kcflightshop.com

Now on with the eye candy!!!!

1003096_10152984424675006_791813713_n.jp

67802_10152984423480006_1955529144_n.jpg

971489_10152984423500006_945902006_n.jpg

942666_10152984423495006_1680869153_n.jp

• Upvote 5

Help AVSIM continue to serve you!
Please donate today!

I request a pinned thread. This is amazing! Cockpit panelling could used some polish though.

Well, I must say the FSX model looks great and is a lot of fun to fly. Can't wait to try out the MS Flight version!

Steve

I like it! B)   Looks great. Thanks to the guys who are hard at work.

Best regards.

Luis

@MvGibbage  & @Stonelance

I don't wanna sound too excited...about helping you test this out on MS Flight.

:p0503: I wanna test I wanna test I wanna test I wanna test.....lol :p0503:

let me know a.s.a.p. how I can...

Thanks,

-fryer

It may be a few months before the Seabee is released.  There is still a lot of work to be done!  It may look nice right now in Flight, but there is a lot going on in the background thats not working yet.  Like animations, gauges, flight model and so on.  Also Stone is not working on just exporting the Seabee, but TOOLS to allow 3rd party's to export aircraft FROM FSX into Flight.  The Seabee is just the testing tool.  Its very possible that default FSX aircraft could be imported into Flight, but there are im sure licensing issues to be concerned with.  Also Flight does NOT use 2D gauges, but the default aircraft make extensive use of them.  We may need to limit the tools to just 3rd party aircraft only. 

Kevin, thanks for the update and the info. Nice to know the status of your work (and of course Stone) up to now.

May I ask one question along these lines? At some point will you and Stone begin working on adding TOOLS to allow/import/convert FSX scenery into Flight? It would be nice to know that this may be possible at some future time, and provide some hope that the scenery world of Flight might be expanded.

Thanks, and thanks again for the hard work!

The GOAL of this project is to bring TOOLS into the community that will allow 3rd party's to bring in aircraft, or export FSX aircraft into Flight.  The Seabee is just a test aircraft for the tools.  So hopefully, one day, Stone can release the tools into the community, and hopefully developers pick up on it.  The question will be if there are enough people still flying Flight to attract developers into the ecosystem. 

Kevin, thanks for the update and the info. Nice to know the status of your work (and of course Stone) up to now.

May I ask one question along these lines? At some point will you and Stone begin working on adding TOOLS to allow/import/convert FSX scenery into Flight? It would be nice to know that this may be possible at some future time, and provide some hope that the scenery world of Flight might be expanded.

Thanks, and thanks again for the hard work!

Having just recently tried flight I was VERY impressed. It looks beautiful, smooth, exactly what FS11 should have been.

This sim, with the features of FSX such as AI, ATC and world coverage, 64bit, would be the perfect modern successor to FSX.

Good work trying to improve the experience for those who find enjoyment in the platform.

Wow, this is great. We're finally here, making addons. Thanks a lot for all your hard work on this MVGibbage and Stonelance. 

Hopefully this is just the beginning of a new life for Flight. Maybe some time in the future we will have the whole world to fly, But I'm afraid too many people have already written off Flight as another Microsoft failure. 

Anyway, thanks again. Can't wait to fly the Seabee!

It is a great pleasure to learn that this magnificent Simulator too quickly abandoned will experience a new life.

Congratulations for their efforts and good luck to Stonelance and MVGibbage in the realization of their projects with the  Microsoft's comprehensible blessing.

Chris

As for explaining Microsoft's approval, there really is nothing to explain.  Stone asked if he can do this, and they said yes.

This isn't true.  The Flight community team at MS is aware that I made tools to add liveries to Flight.  I didn't ask for permission on anything I'm doing, and I don't know if they know much about my efforts to allow converting aircraft from FSX to Flight, but I also doubt they care.

Are there licensing costs that might make releasing some aircraft too expensive?

e.g. perhaps the C-146 was chosen over the DC-3 because of license costs? 

This has been a slippery slope for ALL 3rd party aircraft makers.  95% of the time, the manufacturer does not care due to the VERY SMALL scale of flight sims.  We really dont make enough money to be on there radar!  For a company like Microsoft, its another matter all togeather.  A company would not even bat an eye for a small 3rd party, but a big company like MS, then things start to change.  MS had to apply for legal rights to represent ALL the aircraft in the game.  Some were very willing, like Icon and Vans who had a new aircraft they wanted to promote, and some were not.  Also from what I understand, the PUBLIC has rights to MILITARY aircraft since it was funded with PUBLIC money.  Thats one reason why you see a lot of warbird sims.

Sometimes, a company like Cessna or Boeing will work with 3rd party's and give there blessing (with a fee), but mostly 3rd party's work in a grey area and below the radar.  Trust me, with the little money we make, it would not even cover there lawyer fees, plus the public backlash of a big company chasing after a little guy.  Cessna made that mistake a few years ago, and it hurt them a lot in PR.  Same for Grumman before that (they went after IL-2).

Are there licensing costs that might make releasing some aircraft too expensive?

If it's possible to bring the FSX bell 206 into Flight I will have to reinstall ASAP

Nice work guys!!

As I have said before, I would be happy with a Bell 47 bubble. It would fit right in. It is back in production you know, but the original would be great. There is a great story in the latest addition of AVIATION HISTORY magazine entitled "Birth of the BELL 47 BY Trial and Error." Very interesting, Just dreaming. Maybe some day.

Steve

I'm sure most right's holders wouldn't care about small addon makers.  The Flight team had issues though.  We actually had one popular plane ready to release and another half way, but the company that owned the rights to them wanted an amazingly large amount of money, so the DLCs got killed.  One of several nails in the coffin for Flight.

For most addon developers, asking for forgiveness, not permission is probably the best route.

At some point will you and Stone begin working on adding TOOLS to allow/import/convert FSX scenery into Flight? It would be nice to know that this may be possible at some future time, and provide some hope that the scenery world of Flight might be expanded.

I actually started this process by converting FSX scenery models since they are much simpler than the aircraft. I have a bit of code that can convert placements and models, but the main problem is that several of the BGL formats, although similar, are different in Flight. I have limited knowledge of those formats and creating tools to create\convert them will take a while. I decided it was probably better to focus on aircraft. Hopefully sometime I will be able to revisit it. One issue is that so much of the FSX scenery is so old and low detailed by Flight's standards that it won't be a very good experience. I know there are lots of high quality addons that are as good or better than Flight, but I think the way Flight deals with scenery, autogen and terrain has changed a lot.