Sign in to follow this  
twharrell

Garmin GNS430/530 - exciting news!

If ya don't know what that yellow represents... don't ever go flying a real aircraft in there. :wink:  The current airspace is primarily from the sim, it's one of those things we're still working on to use an external database.

The map is a hybrid of the FS stock.  Any more detail (custom terrain, obstacle, roads, railways, towns) would exceed your wallet's capacity to cover the cost of the databases.  Seriously, we checked. LOL

Each one of those is a separate database.  One for terrain.  One for obstacles.  One for roads, et cetera, et cetera.  The bottom line is... they can't be purchased as a single package for a 'price break'... so to provide them gets expensive, fast.

Ed Wilson

Mindstar Aviation
My Playland - I69

Sounds promising Ed. I'll surely keep an eye out for this project. Could you give a clue where in the 236 page PDF manual I use for the 530 I can find the meaning of these yellow borders?

Cheers, Bert

AMD Ryzen 5900X, 32 GB RAM, RTX 3080 Ti, Windows 11 Home 64 bit, MSFS

It's a special restricted airspace around Washington D.C. and has to do with Leesburg Executive (KJYO).  I don't know if it exists anywhere else... but it's most definitely there.

EDIT: called a TFR (but this one's rather permanent LOL).

Ed Wilson

Mindstar Aviation
My Playland - I69

I believe it denotes the Washington DC SFRA (Special Flight Rules Area). Leesburg Airport has its own little niche carved out of the SFRA that you are to exit in the most direct route possible after takeoff, i.e. north or west, away from DC.

All cool stuff, Ed.

Quick question, have you been in talks with any developer to be sure their GPS gauges are the right size in order to replace them with your units.

One disappointment I have is with Carenado, who made no way to use the Mindstar G1000 with their C182T. MilViz, on the other hand, was very forward thinking in their gauge design and flexibility, because the MS G1000 fits like a glove. The only issue I have run into is lightmaps, which, surprisingly, don't match up perfectly with the MS G1000. I'd tweak the light map if I knew how.

Todd

MilViz, on the other hand, was very forward thinking in their gauge design and flexibility, because the MS G1000 fits like a glove. The only issue I have run into is lightmaps, which, surprisingly, don't match up perfectly with the MS G1000. I'd tweak the light map if I knew how.

Todd

Maybe Fr. Bill can be persuaded to do those, and the effort wouldn't be for naught, since then Milviz could bill their products (or at least c310) as fully, 100%  Mindstar capable, in the same way Real Air touts its Reality XP capability.  I've tried to make some of those lightmaps myself (for RXP installations) and only achieved so/so results, so I always appreciate it when the pros do it instead.

Whenever I see the phrase "other devs"... I cringe.

Ed, I know that it would be a real boon to aircraft developers (please don't cringe now) if custom EventIDs are provided such that 3d knobs and buttons can be properly supported in the interior model.

Has this been done, or are there plans to do so? I know that I would most certainly be delighted to be able to include such support in future models. B)

Fr. Bill    

AOPA Member: 07141481 AARP Member: 3209010556

Avsim Board of Directors | Avsim Forums Moderator

Comments regarding the website have been noted. We're not going to take offense... so please don't take offense if we don't change a thing. :wink: Web site is so far down the list of priorities for us right now as we have plenty of work to keep us busy for now.

Can you confirm if the forum part of your website will be available soon?

I'm interested in the G1000 product and looked around on the website trying to determine how compatible this add-on is with some of the aircraft I want to plug it into, but the G1000 configuration webpage just shows instructions from FS2004 with the default C172 and the link to the FAQ about the product is a link to the forums which appear to be down at the moment:

http://www.mindstaraviation.com/cgi-bin/avforum/board.pl?board=brd_g1000_support;action=display;num=1164737708

The website also mentions that newer versions have more features with details and betas available on the forums but no way to tell for sure with the forums down.

I own the RXP530 and am looking at the Mindstar G1000 potentially to plug it into aircraft I have where I would enjoy the enhanced depth (Milviz C310R which I hear already works) and hopefully faster framerate (Carenado SR22T, C182T) which I can't really tell from the website whether it will work for it or not.

I'd be interested in potentially buying Mindstar products, but the lack of pre-sale info on the website and no forums to get that info is a barrier to me purchasing right now. Not complaining but just passing on the feedback as regards the priority of the website or support forums goes.

--John near KPAE

I emailed Carenado about making their C182 G1000 panel Mindstar compatible and they said they have no interest or intention do so. The tone of their reply was just arrogant. So be it. I was going to buy the C182T but that email made my decision for me.

Todd

I know the Eaglesoft DA42 is compatible.

Custom event IDs will be assigned to the buttons and knobs for the 430/530 units.  This will facilitate both modellers as well as shared cockpit behavior in FSX.

A timeline for the Mindstar Aviation forums to return is not known at this time.  We're not rushing simply because we're shopping long and hard for new forum software in the hopes of reducing/eliminating any future hacking.

Regarding compatibility... our units are designed to match their real world counterparts in size and as long as any third party aircraft conform to the correct size, then adding the Mindstar Aviation G1000 or the 430/530 should be relatively straightforward.  At no point will we modifiy the Mindstar Aviation avionics to 'fit' what another developer creates for FSX as our primary market is the commercial training environment.

If you have specific questions regarding the Mindstar Aviation G1000, an email to our support services will usually result in a timely reply.

Ed Wilson

Mindstar Aviation
My Playland - I69

Thanks for the confirmation Ed. That is terrific news as that is the one thing lacking in the "other white meat" that makes it less than easy to work around... :He He:

Fr. Bill    

AOPA Member: 07141481 AARP Member: 3209010556

Avsim Board of Directors | Avsim Forums Moderator

If you have specific questions regarding the Mindstar Aviation G1000, an email to our support services will usually result in a timely reply.

I can vouch for this. Every time I have had a question or issue, the response has been prompt and thorough.  A great group of developers.

Todd

I was going to buy the C182T but that email made my decision for me.

I have the f1 182t and it is a nice little plane.Give it a go ?

Custom event IDs will be assigned to the buttons and knobs for the 430/530 units.  This will facilitate both modellers as well as shared cockpit behavior in FSX.

+1

Does this imply that the units will be designed and tested to function and sync correctly over the FSX MP Shared Cockpit system ?

If so, I am most excited to hear this.

Great news Ed.   :)

Quick question, are you guys releasing this at Oshkosh or is that a timeline your hoping for?

I emailed Carenado about making their C182 G1000 panel Mindstar compatible and they said they have no interest or intention do so. The tone of their reply was just arrogant. So be it. I was going to buy the C182T but that email made my decision for me.

Similar experience here.  --- I had the same reaction....