Sign in to follow this  
twharrell

Garmin GNS430/530 - exciting news!

Mindstar really need to invest some time and money in their website and front end. Their website is very '2006' and doesn't inspire me to hand over my cash (not to mention the aforementioned lack of PayPal support; a popular and safe transaction method these days).

+1... that is one duff website...

Howard
MSI Mag B650 Tomahawk MB, Ryzen7-7800X3D CPU@5ghz, Arctic AIO II 360 cooler, Nvidia RTX3090 GPU, 32gb DDR5@6000Mhz, SSD/2Tb+SSD/500Gb+OS, Corsair 1000W PSU, Philips BDM4350UC 43" 4K IPS, MFG Crosswinds, TQ6 Throttle, Fulcrum One Yoke
My FlightSim YouTube Channel: https://www.youtube.com/@skyhigh776

Well, we're not selling a website... and our primary customer base doesn't even pay attention to a website... so, what can I say? :wink:

Ed Wilson

Mindstar Aviation
My Playland - I69

I don't care about the website, as long as I can have a realistic GPS in prepar3d finally

The map looks like FSX stock. Not that it is but it doesn't look as realistic as the actual unit.

| FAA ZMP |
| PPL ASEL |
| Windows 11 | MSI Z690 Tomahawk | 12700K 4.7GHz | MSI RTX 4080 | 32GB 5600 MHz DDR5 | 500GB Samsung 860 Evo SSD | 2x 2TB Samsung 970 Evo M.2 | EVGA 850W Gold | Corsair 5000X | HP G2 (VR) / LG 27" 1440p |

First, thanks for the information, Ed.

Perhaps I'm misunderstanding what he's asking about, but I got the impression he was talking about the GPS-out functionality that allows other devices to track GPS position.

Since the line was from my post I'm assuming "he" is me... :mellow:

Yes, I think you've basically got it. For example, I use the RXP 530 to drive the G500 displays on Carenado's JetProp, including the terrain map, with FP and active leg information and the 430 to drive the Aspen EHSI on the A36 Bonanza with active FP information. Using this also allows the unit to push the plan to display in other units - built-in G400's, 500's, the Avidyne on Carenado's C90 and so on. This was a feature that was added last year and is extremely useful.

BTW, I can't get too excited one way or another about the website details either, but I can tell you that when I looked semi-seriously at the G1000 I didn't feel there was adequate information there to make a good informed decision about things like integration. What I gleaned seemed to indicate that I could replace units in the stock airplanes that were G1000 equipped. Sounds like you're saying much the same thing here, and getting the units into a 3D payware panel will probably be an issue. Not a panel or gauge guy, so please correct me if I'm out in left field here.

Also, in response to the OP - I want to be clear that I'm not criticizing. I don't know enough about the products to criticize anything, I'm just an interested potential customer trying to gather information, understand if the products will be a good fit for me and perhaps offer a bit of feedback on what I think is important and why.

Thanks,

Scott

Thank you for the info Ed. I see these products are very promising.

Just a couple of questions:

1) Images displayed (map-terrain-urban details) are going to be exact like in the Garmin units; custom (more FS alike) or a mix?

2) Will be possible to save and reload Flightplans built in the G unit?

3) IMO you did a great job with the CitationX, and in that case there is a good support of FS fplans by the FMS, don't you think something similar could be done here?

Tom

I don't care about the website, as long as I can have a realistic GPS in prepar3d finally

I won't buy a product from Mindstar unless they revise their website to features well-endowed beermaidens, dressed in red, white, and blue, and if it provides the opportunity to win a free dinner for the whole family at Red Lobster.  Get with the program, people. :lol:

The Mindstar Aviation G1000 has a fully functional FLC mode for it's GFC700 autopilot.

Indeed, it does. I used it last night, in fact and it held the speed perfectly.

Todd

Thanks for the confirmation, gentlemen.  

Well, we're not selling a website... and our primary customer base doesn't even pay attention to a website... so, what can I say? :wink:

I appreciate where you're coming from on that Ed, and that the majority of Mindstar's base may derive from commercial or corporate organisations, but still, why would they not want to tap into the FS market, (and surely that's what this thread is all about....?)

..... and if so, a better sales & marketing front end is a no brainer, and in the scheme of things, a good website costs very little, and to a lot of potential customer, says a lot about an organisation. :smile:

http://www.mindstaraviation.com/

I'm not certain what you are asking regarding (map/terrain/urban etc) as the default FS GPS display is surprisingly close to what the Garmin unit displays.  Unless you're going to tell me Garmin's own documentation is inaccurate in it's appearance of the displays??

As for storage and use of flight plans, yes the 430/530 units can do this.

Support of default FS flight plans serves no commercial purpose to pursue, despite many of you desiring it in FS.  At no point will we risk the integrity of the training version to satisfy something in the FS version and this functionality is not something that would be 'seamless'.  The methods I used in the Citation X do not easily apply in a Garmin, to be honest.

Comments regarding the website have been noted.  We're not going to take offense... so please don't take offense if we don't change a thing. :wink:  Web site is so far down the list of priorities for us right now as we have plenty of work to keep us busy for now.

Ed Wilson

Mindstar Aviation
My Playland - I69

I won't buy a product from Mindstar unless they revise their website to features well-endowed beermaidens, dressed in red, white, and blue, and if it provides the opportunity to win a free dinner for the whole family at Red Lobster. Get with the program, people. :lol:

Don't give people ideas! Lol

And to Ed

Other devs managed to integrate 3D RXP gauges without assistance.  It surprises me that teams with the resources of Aerosoft and A2A couldn't figure it out.  Hmm......

13900K | MSI RTX 4090 | 64 GB 3600 MHz | 4x SSD + 1x HDD | ASUS 42" 3840x2160 120Hz OLED
VirtualFly TQ6+ | Virpil WarBRD + Constellation Alpha | MFG Crosswind V2 | RealSimGear GNS530/430

spacer.png

As far as FS flightplan support I'd really like it if the GPS could export the flightplan to disk in PLN format. I use that feature in the RXP units to open up an IFR flight with ATC after entering the route into the GPS. I don't care about it importing flight plans.

Alternatively it would be great if it had some extensibility hooks so a third party could add such a feature.

Barry Friedman

Would we be able to run Mindstar G1000 or G530 in a networked PC? 

Manny

Beta tester for SIMStarter 

Whenever I see the phrase "other devs"... I cringe.

Ok, please let's keep in mind this is first and foremost a commercial product used for real world flight training.  Decisions on what the units will or won't do revolve around that.  A feature may be a great idea to someone here... but not necessarily in the training environment.  Not to mention, a feature requested could possibly seriously break other training functionality.  So... we have to be careful.  Hope you understand. :smile:

Running the units on a networked PC isn't going to be supported.  Sorry.

Ed Wilson

Mindstar Aviation
My Playland - I69

The map looks like FSX stock. Not that it is but it doesn't look as realistic as the actual unit.

I agree. Airspace borders are green for example. And I have never seen yellow borderlines on a 430 or 530. But there are more things in life I have never seen :biggrin:

Cheers, Bert

AMD Ryzen 5900X, 32 GB RAM, RTX 3080 Ti, Windows 11 Home 64 bit, MSFS