Sign in to follow this  
KSATRoadWarrior

US drops unarmed bombs on Great Barrier Reef

It's not the bomb, or the reef, it's the fact that Australians will be handed over a big fat bill for the recovery of the bombs..

I think the US Navy wouldn't have a problem covering those costs if there is a recovery. The US Navy lives on the seas and does care about the oceans and its allies as much as anyone. 

Matthew Kane

On the news here yesterday, the commander of the US fleet said it would be a great training exercise for their divers to recover the bombs, if we wanted them to.

With a slight of hand subject shift, . . . . I live about twenty miles from Camp Perry, a National Guard facility on the shore of Lake Erie. They used to have live fire artillery practice there. Besides the obvious of limits area of the camp there is also a area of lake and adjacent wetlands that are closed due to undetonated munitions still in the water and the marsh. The birds and fish don't seem to mind much. Never have heard of any of them exploding, well, except one report of a black duck that was carrying a hammer at the time.

Typical these days. Heavy on creating a issue out of thin air, lite on good prudence.

Regards,

Mel

The lack of common-sense here is really starting to worry me. 

:biggrin:   These type of topics always seem to lead down that alley.

Storm in a tea cup cobbers.

It's all good.  Just another 3 day news cycle that keeps journalists in jobs.

Yes - I'm Australian.

According to scientists,  half of the coral surface of the great bareer disappeared in the last 27 years...

No wonder any publicity-craved politician will jump at an incident like this one. For them, it's a godsent.

Rgds,

Bruno 

This is nothing compared to the nukes we've lost...lol.  I believe one is still lost if my memory serves me correct. 

Jeff D. Nielsen (KMCI)

https://www.twitch.tv/pilotskcx

https://discord.io/MaxDutyDay

10th Gen Intel Core i9 10900KF (10-Core, 20MB Cache, 3.7GHz to 5.3GHz w/Thermal Velocity Boost) | NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 24GB GDDR6X | 128GB Dual Channel DDR4 XMP at 3200MHz | 2TB M.2 PCIe SSD (Boot) + 2TB 7200RPM SATA 6Gb/s (Storage) | Lunar Light chassis with High-Performance CPU/GPU Liquid Cooling and 1000W Power Supply

This is nothing compared to the nukes we've lost...lol.  I believe one is still lost if my memory serves me correct. 

Yea I posted about this earlier in the thread. I was highlighting one of the atomic bombs that was detonated 1000' above the St Lawrence River in Quebec as it had to be jettison due to icing. The core was removed but the detonation was powerful enough to cause significant property damage in the area. Those bombs were being secretly hiding in Newfoundland and were being moved back to the USA so when it went off the Government claimed it was Lightning. It was declassified in the 1980's

I don't recall if any Nukes made it onto Australian soil or not but they were shuttled all over Canada and USA as part of NORAD and yes a few were lost along the way. A lot of the materials used in US Weapons came from Canadian Uranium so both these countries had been working closely together on the nuclear program as part of NORAD, Even though Canada likes to pretend to be nuclear free today they are historically and active partner.

Matthew Kane