Sign in to follow this  
KSATRoadWarrior

US drops unarmed bombs on Great Barrier Reef

Commenting on communist ideology tends to get me in trouble so I'm stopping here.

I think that is an absolutely sterling idea. Warning to everyone; if this waxes political, and I read things like "warmongering" again, this topic will be closed and the offenders given appropriate alternative solutions to their web reading pleasures.As it is, the warmongering sentiment has resulted in a ban from this topic.

It's inappropriately harsh to dismiss this women as "ignorant" just on the basis of this matter, and her views on it.She is a representative of the Australian senate, and as this incident happened in her country, as the result of a military accident by another nation, I would say she in entitled to her view, and it's neither vacuous nor unreasonable in my view.

Ignorance (lack of knowledge) is curable via education along with a willingness to learn. To speak without knowing accurate facts is vacuous and devoid of meaning.

Ignorance is also not an insult; I freely admit that there are vast areas of knowledge of which I'm ignorant. It is not something of which one need feel ashamed, unless it is willful ignorance (refusal to learn).

Australian Sen. Larissa Waters, the influential Greens party's spokeswoman on the Great Barrier Reef, described the dumping of bombs in such an environmentally sensitive area as "outrageous" and said it should not be allowed. (emphasis mine)

She made such a statement as though the crew actually had a real choice in the matter.

I also submit that something dropped in water would most certainly have far less adverse impact damage as opposed to -say- dropping that same item on land...

Fr. Bill    

AOPA Member: 07141481 AARP Member: 3209010556

Avsim Board of Directors | Avsim Forums Moderator

As it is, the warmongering sentiment has resulted in a ban from this topic

Tom i don't mean to be offensive, i appreciate that moderating this site is like herding cats but, it may be that today i am a little testy from our 1984 style government and our new "China-lite" Firewall but:

From your signature

"Those who would give up essential Liberty, to purchase a little temporary Safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety." - Benjamin Franklin"

Seriously???  Liberty...you know the freedom to speak your mind (or write) on controversial topics.

From my favourite American, possibly favourite human being:

"The majority, oppressing an individual, is guilty of a crime, abuses its strength and by acting acting on the law of the strongest breaks up the foundations of society"

Ian R Tyldesley

Seriously??? Liberty...you know the freedom to speak your mind (or write) on controversial topics.

Ian, I suggest you go back and re-read our terms of service. Carefully..

Ian, I suggest you go back and re-read our terms of service. Carefully..

Thank you Tom.  I am now much clearer after reading the section on "Freedom of Speech".  

Though at the risk of pushing my luck a little, i wasn't commenting on AVSIM's policies, i was commenting on your puzzling response to the topic with reference to the quote on your signature.

Ian R Tyldesley

reference to the quote on your signature.

That refers to our American environment today.

That refers to our American political environment today.

Indeed...and not just the American political environment.

Ian R Tyldesley

It's inappropriately harsh to dismiss this women as "ignorant" just on the basis of this matter, and her views on it.She is a representative of the Australian senate, and as this incident happened in her country, as the result of a military accident by another nation, I would say she in entitled to her view, and it's neither vacuous nor unreasonable in my view.

Not to be defensive, but it was a joint exercise between the US and Australia. Military action, in the form of an exercise or otherwise, has an inherent risk involved. Upon being invited to the exercise I think it is fair that all parties involved realize the risks.  

- Jordan Jafferjee -

AMD Ryzen 9 7950X3D | Asus X670-E Pro Prime | Gigabyte RTX4080 Eagle | 64G G.Skill Trident Z.5 DDR5-6000 |  Arctic Liquid Freezer II 360 | 2x2TB Samsung 990 Pro NVME | NZXT H7 | Win 11 22H2 | TM Warthog Flight Stick + Throttle | Honeycomb Alpha + Bravo | MFG Crosswind Rudder Pedals | Samsung 43" Odyssey Neo G7 | Dell U3415W 

The statement issued by the US Navy reads:

After being unable to expend their ordnance during a planned training mission, and having insufficient fuel to reach their pre-designated jettison area, the pilots jettisoned the ordnance in an unarmed condition on 16 July.

The inability to reach their pre-designated jettison area suggests that the planning went wrong.

Incidentally surely it's irrelevant which navy jettisoned the bombs..

Not to be defensive, but it was a joint exercise between the US and Australia. Military action, in the form of an exercise or otherwise, has an inherent risk involved. Upon being invited to the exercise I think it is fair that all parties involved realize the risks.  

Well said. My understanding is we were invited. Accidents can happen. I certainly hope we never need the expertise to defend our nation from a geyser field.

I think that is an absolutely sterling idea. Warning to everyone; if this waxes political, and I read things like "warmongering" again, this topic will be closed and the offenders given appropriate alternative solutions to their web reading pleasures.As it is, the warmongering sentiment has resulted in a ban from this topic.

Nice to see you Tom! :-)

It's a known aqualogical fact that unarmed bombs make excellent reef builders.  The cup is half full.

I think this one just nailed it...don't read too much into it.

The USA was invited and this situation could have been one way or another. Reality is the USA dropped it, no reports of any real damage to anything.

just a bunch of anti...........I have nothing to say beyond this then I believe the US Navy did nothing wrong in this situation and are being bombarded with opinions otherwise. it has become a PR Campaign for no real reason. Some people will take advantage of a situation so there it is...

Matthew Kane

OH THE HORROR!!!!  

Comeon.  This is barely even local newsworthy...much less some type of international incident.  If it's that big of deal though, they'll just go and recover them.

It's not the bomb, or the reef, it's the fact that Australians will be handed over a big fat bill for the recovery of the bombs... It's happened before and It will happen again! Specially now with Kevin 747 at the helm...

It's not the bomb, or the reef, it's the fact that Australians will be handed over a big fat bill for the recovery of the bombs... It's happened before and It will happen again! Specially now with Kevin 747 at the helm...

The chances of recovery are about the same as me winning the powerball this weekend. As said before, man-made objects make great reefs...hell we sink entire aircraft carriers to make reefs, but the way some Australians are bloviating, you'd think the Americans intentionally bombed the Sydney opera house. Let it go. Things happen.

Sent from my completely custom galaxy s3.