Sign in to follow this  
captain420

How to use vectors when using FMC on PMDG 737?

Well everytime I program the FMC on the PMDG 737, and enter a SID/STAR it always adds a (VECTOR) section into my Flight Plan under the leg's page.

ASUS ROG Maximus Hero XII ▪︎ Intel i9-10900K ▪︎ NVIDIA RTX 3090 FE ▪︎ 64GB Corsair Vengeance RGB Pro ▪︎ Windows 10 Pro (21H1) ▪︎ Samsung 970 EVO Pro 1TB NVME SSD (OS Drive) ▪︎ Samsung 860 EVO 2TB SATA SSD ▪︎ Seagate 4TB SATA HDD ▪︎ Corsair RMx 850W PSU

It cannot be everytime, the minor part of SIDs contain a vector portion, and I have never saw a single STAR with that.

So what happens when you enter your flight plan into the FMC, and for the departure you select a SID, and then it adds a (vector) section. Do you just leave it there or what?

I also see a section that says (INT), what's that?

ASUS ROG Maximus Hero XII ▪︎ Intel i9-10900K ▪︎ NVIDIA RTX 3090 FE ▪︎ 64GB Corsair Vengeance RGB Pro ▪︎ Windows 10 Pro (21H1) ▪︎ Samsung 970 EVO Pro 1TB NVME SSD (OS Drive) ▪︎ Samsung 860 EVO 2TB SATA SSD ▪︎ Seagate 4TB SATA HDD ▪︎ Corsair RMx 850W PSU

A minority of SIDS contain a vector section. You will tie yourself in knots trying to get an addon or FSX atc to vector you. Just pretend you get a heading from ATC and fly that till you get to the next waypoint/ or INT in the SID.

INT means intercept...so you have to intercept a heading to the next waypoint.

Peter Schluter

pschlute I see, how exactly do you "intercept" a heading? I'm not sure exactly what that means.

Click the next waypoint in your route to put it in the scratchpad, and then click the vector entry. Bam you just got vectors to your next waypoint :). All the atc addons need to know your flight plan to give you atc. They can't read from the pmdg fmc. Just like in the real world, you file your ifr plan. Noone uses the default fax flight planner. But you don't need to to get fsx default atc. There are numerous flight planning apps that export to fsx .pln and even pmdg .rte. I use vroute. And then there's proatcx that combines flight planning with atc

Actually read the sid. Often there's a reason there's a vector. Perhaps the sid starts as maintain runway heading to 1200 then turn to 171 direct to ___. That's going to be vector in the fmc. Or the sid ends on an atc vector to your planned route. There will probably be a discontinuity there.

I take intercept to mean intercept your initial planned route. So if atc vectors you off for traffic spacing, they then would tell you to turn back and intercept your initial heading to the waypoint. So when you get back to your magenta line you turn on course. Kinda like intercepting a vor radial, but it's your fmc route instead.

Vectors prolly in the FMS because the DP denotes the pilot will fly an assigned heading on the DP. You'd initially fly the heading depicted on the chart and ATC will later clear you direct a fix on the DP and say something like "resume own navigation."

| FAA ZMP |
| PPL ASEL |
| Windows 11 | MSI Z690 Tomahawk | 12700K 4.7GHz | MSI RTX 4080 | 32GB 5600 MHz DDR5 | 500GB Samsung 860 Evo SSD | 2x 2TB Samsung 970 Evo M.2 | EVGA 850W Gold | Corsair 5000X | HP G2 (VR) / LG 27" 1440p |

If you have a problem understanding why a SID or STAR has a vector in it why don't you just pull up the chart? Normally those are written in plan English and give a good understanding. The more realistic you fly usually the easier it is, as many of the things real pilots do (like cross checking with charts) are there to make things easier and more clear to the flight crew.

Nick Running

^Agreed....  go to this site http://aeronav.faa.gov/index.asp?xml=aeronav/applications/d_tpp and select Digital Terminal procedures (1308) and then ICAO field PHNL and find the DP you're trying to figure out.

Tell us which one it is and we can probably help

| FAA ZMP |
| PPL ASEL |
| Windows 11 | MSI Z690 Tomahawk | 12700K 4.7GHz | MSI RTX 4080 | 32GB 5600 MHz DDR5 | 500GB Samsung 860 Evo SSD | 2x 2TB Samsung 970 Evo M.2 | EVGA 850W Gold | Corsair 5000X | HP G2 (VR) / LG 27" 1440p |

Vox ATC will either vector you to intercept the glide slope or they will call you with a STAR and transition en route

Default ATC is okay for casual gamers only

ZORAN

OK this is how I would do what your trying to do

1) Goto http://www.vataware.com/

2)In "Top Routes" type in PHNL KLAX, click "go"

3) You will see a route with 41%, that's the route used the most. click it

4) Copy "MKK4 EBBER R577 ELKEY SADDE6" into FSBuild with your airports codes and also enter FL350

5) Let FSBuild export it to FSX

6) You now have your route that fsx ATC can use and give you IFR clearance. 

7) Once you know your Runway in use enter you SID to the above route.

8) Get a weather report for LAX and enter the STAR to the runway in use from SADDE6

9) Forget about Fsx giving you "vetors" for SID and STAR.

It really is that simple.

GL

David Murden  MSFS   Fenix A320  PMDG 737 • MG Honda Jet • 414 / TDS 750Xi •  FS-ATC Chatter • FlyingIron Spitfire & ME109G • MG Honda Jet 

Fenix A320 Walkthrough PDF   Flightsim.to •

DCS  A10c II  F-16c  F/A-18c • F-14 • (Others in hanger) • Supercarrier  Terrains = • Nevada NTTR  Persian Gulf  Syria • Marianas • 

• 10900K@4.9 All Cores HT ON   32GB DDR4  3200MHz RTX 3080  • TM Warthog HOTAS • TM TPR • Corsair Virtuoso XT with Dolby Atmos®  Samsung G7 32" 1440p 240Hz • TrackIR 5 & ProClip

Guest ecg

What's the vector, Victor?

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk 4

Okay, thanks for explaining how this vector stuff works with the built in ATC. Seems like it isn't only me. I'll just fly by vectoring myself to the 1st waypoint, or just won't use SID/STAR then. Since I don't fly online in VATSIM, I'll just fly casually for the time being until I feel like taking it up a step when I'm ready to learn more real world flying. There's still a lot I'm trying to currently grasp. So much to learn.