Sign in to follow this  
briansommers

PMDG J41 vs Majestic DH4 - which is easier to learn?

Jordan, after reading your post, I'm not sure if you are aware that the J41 models a geared turbine setup whereas the Q400 renders a free one. This difference may be more apparent than the actual modelling finesse of the FDE.

Another and very current example of the geared setup would be the Aerosoft Bronco by the way. Again, very different to fly and operate than the more commonly used free turbine setup like with a P&W PT6A.

Further reading on the fixed shaft ('geared') turbines. http://www.pilotoutlook.com/airplane_flying/turboprop_engines_types

And the same on the split shaft ('free') ones. http://www.pilotoutlook.com/airplane_flying/split_shaft_free_turbine_engine

Yeah I know all about the difference. The J41 isn't the only addon that suffers because of the terrible FSX turboprop model; the Realair turbine duke, which is a fine addon in its own right, is let down because of FSX limitations in the same way.

The Jetstream 41 is harder to learn because it has less automation and for most sim pilots is there first exposure to geared turboprop engines, so those who don't read up properly and take time to understand the operating principles of these engines get frustrated at the constant engine fires. If you are patient though it is very rewarding!

The Q400 is easier to fly because the engines are more forgiving and there's more automation and power to help you.

Quality wise, they are both superb addons and the crème de la crème of turboprop airliner addons. I own both and have to say the Majestic Q400 probably has the edge over the PMDG J41 on a technical level, with its external flight dynamics engine and superb framerates. However, personally I still prefer the J41, it just seems to have more "personality" and the bonus of FS2Crew too (don't get that until you've mastered the aircraft on your own though!)

They are both fun to fly though and each come with their own challenges, neither will be a bad purchase. If you want to do longer legs the Q400 will be better suited owning to much higher speeds, but if you want to go in to small airports the J41 requires less runway. Both are steep approach capable so can access the larger STOLports.

• Upvote 1

ckyliu, proud supporter of ViaIntercity.com. i5 12400F, 32GB, GTX980, more in "About me" on my profile. 

support1.jpg

+1 for the dash. It's much more modern and more forgiving, although it's still by no means an easy aircraft.

It's also, as has been said, easier on the frames, easier to use, and can go higher and faster (26000, 280kts) than the j41.

It's also cheaper! :P

If you use the checklists, the dash is a real pleasure to learn to fly.

All the best,

Alex.

The J41 isn't the only addon that suffers because of the terrible FSX turboprop model; the Realair turbine duke, which is a fine addon in its own right, is let down because of FSX limitations in the same way.

Again, the turbine Duke runs a free turbine while the J41 does not. So you may indeed see FSX limitations but, most of all, you are looking at different engine setups and characteristics.

I actually think that, except for the startup phase, the J41 models the geared stuff very good. But I'm resting my case as we went off topic. :blush:

It's also, as has been said, easier on the frames, easier to use, and can go higher and faster (26000, 280kts) than the j41.

I'd say the Q400 is more in the range of 350/360KTAS whereas the J41 is closer to the 280 you've given. 300KTAS should be her value if memory serves me right. Still, you point is correct of course, the Q400 cruises faster.

Get the Dash 8 Q400 from Majestic Brian.  :wink:

Apart from the fact that it's easier to operate (the JS41 engines are a right old faff!), it's also a 2013 produce versus a 2009 product, and also the Majestic Dash 8 has stunning performance in FSX (very high frames in almost all settings), whereas the JS41 can be a heavy hitter.

The PMDG J41 has FS2Crew support the Q400 doesn't. So my vote goes to the J41

Q400 also does not work with REX Latitude which sucks. Latitude allows for a type certification achievement but users of Latitude have to exclude Q400 from their options.

C.

Regarding FS2Crew and REX Latitude, let's not for get that the dash is still relatively new. And also for those users who are having trouble with the dash and GSX, if you check you are on the latest version of both products, it works :D

• Upvote 1

Q400 also does not work with REX Latitude which sucks. Latitude allows for a type certification achievement but users of Latitude have to exclude Q400 from their options.

C.

Mm, that could be a bind, for you and the other person who uses Rex Lattitude..... :lol:

(Just kidding).

Mm, that could be a bind, for you and the other person who uses Rex Lattitude..... :lol:

(Just kidding).

Oh that's okay I get it latitude was kinda tough for most people. kinda hard to fly every flight like its a checkride. But I still find it funny how people who want to flight sim don't like to simulate flight at a commercial degree of aptitude. Its more difficult than some wanted for sure. I find it hard to watch storage wars while flying and get good scores. Lol.

The Q400 you must start the configuration sheet outside FSX and send it to the program after you have configured the loading - doesn't work as well as the J41 IMHO.(Although it does show weights and pax numbers the J41 doesn't identify the centre of balance figures).

I use FSPassengersX for all flights and I'm guessing the Q400 will not be able to respond to fuel, passenger or cargo inputs from the FSPax.  Do you think that's the case for the Q400?  I'm very intrigued by it and I already have the J41 which I use.

Noel

System:  7800x3D, Thermal Grizzly Kryonaut, Noctua NH-U12A, MSI Pro 650-P WiFi, G.SKILL Ripjaws S5 Series 32GB (2 x 16GB) 288-Pin PC RAM DDR5 6000, WD NVMe 2Tb x 1, Sabrent NVMe 2Tb x 1, RTX 4090 FE, Corsair RM1000W PSU, Win11 Home, LG Ultra Curved Gsync Ultimate 3440x1440, Phanteks Enthoo Pro Case, TCA Boeing Edition Yoke & TQ, Cessna Trim Wheel, RTSS Framerate Limiter w/ Edge Sync for near zero Frame Time Variance achieving ultra-fluid animation at lower frame rates.

Aircraft used in A Pilot's Life V2:  PMDG 738, Aerosoft CRJ700, FBW A320nx, WT 787X

You guess is probably correct, although I do not have FSPax. Coolsky's brilliant DC-9 is another model where the FSX Fuel and Pax numbers are done thru a configuration sheet, although Coolsky's is within the FSX Programme as is the J41. Inputting any fuel via the FSX menu results in no actual change.to the default setup.

Both are very good.  FS2Crew for the 4100 is nice, but eventually the Q400 is planned for an SDK and FS2Crew integration (might be a few months though).  When I'm flying these type of aircraft, I tend to fly in mountainous terrain with steep approaches (Aspen, CO; Innsubruck, Austria; etc.), and the 4100 is tough to slow down with the geared props, so I typically go for the Q400.

Eric Szczesniak

Having been a PMDG only person for a number of years including the JS41, NGX and 777...i have to say the Q400 has blown the little Jetstream  away.

Steve