Sign in to follow this  

Bloom my way 25% fps improvement?

I've never been a big fan of Bloom (in FSX or just about any game/simulation) - almost always over saturated.  But with the recent DX10 Fixer running so well, I decided to give Bloom a try and dialed reflections back to 60% via DX10 fixer settings.  It looks pretty good, still on the fence to whether I keep the setting on or not, but I gotta thank Steve's work for at least providing the setting.

Anyway, the real reason for this post is that I picked up 10 fps on average after I enabled Bloom  (BLOOM_EFFECTS=1) - at high load areas (usually FSDT airports) I'm around 30-33 fps, but with bloom, those same airports I'm at 42-46 fps.

This "to say the least" has me puzzled?  I don't "think" this is related to any DX10 Fixer changes but I'd be curious if anyone else got this side benefit from enabling Bloom?  In theory, Bloom should increase GPU load ... I'm wondering if this enabled state of bloom has somehow off loaded some processing that was normally being done by the CPU exclusively and is now being done by the GPU exclusively?

I just can't think of why this would happen, but maybe Steve or anyone else has some insight.  I need to check my VAS with Bloom On/Off also and see where I stand there, but in the meantime thought I'd share my experience with Bloom.

Rob

Wow that's a first. Not sure if I gained fps, but I certainly don't loose fps.

Intel i7 10700K | Asus Maximus XII Hero | Asus TUF RTX 3090 | 32GB HyperX Fury 3200 DDR4 | 1TB Samsung M.2 (W11) | 2TB Samsung M.2 (MSFS2020) | Arctic Liquid Freezer II 280mm AIO | 43" Samsung Q90B | 27" Asus Monitor

I've never been a big fan of Bloom (in FSX or just about any game/simulation) - almost always over saturated.  But with the recent DX10 Fixer running so well, I decided to give Bloom a try and dialed reflections back to 60% via DX10 fixer settings.  It looks pretty good, still on the fence to whether I keep the setting on or not, but I gotta thank Steve's work for at least providing the setting.

Anyway, the real reason for this post is that I picked up 10 fps on average after I enabled Bloom  (BLOOM_EFFECTS=1) - at high load areas (usually FSDT airports) I'm around 30-33 fps, but with bloom, those same airports I'm at 42-46 fps.

This "to say the least" has me puzzled?  I don't "think" this is related to any DX10 Fixer changes but I'd be curious if anyone else got this side benefit from enabling Bloom?  In theory, Bloom should increase GPU load ... I'm wondering if this enabled state of bloom has somehow off loaded some processing that was normally being done by the CPU exclusively and is now being done by the GPU exclusively?

I just can't think of why this would happen, but maybe Steve or anyone else has some insight.  I need to check my VAS with Bloom On/Off also and see where I stand there, but in the meantime thought I'd share my experience with Bloom.

Rob

I think that because you installed the Fixer, you are now experiencing what I discovered about a week ago,now.  I found that with Bloom still enabled, I also 'picked up' about 10-12 FPS in using DX9 with Bloom as well. I have to say though, that it was just the opposite with Bloom on, prior to installing Steve's program and playing around (as you did and are...) with the different slider and percentage settings.  Try setting it back to DX9, (through his program mask, and see if you also now maintain at least the same FPS you had prior to no Bloom being engaged in DX9, but with Bloom as 'on'.  I'll bet you that you will.  That is the reason that I am staying with DX9 as long as this 'post effect, FPS boost' continues.  Something...is changing, for sure.  Since I went back to DX9 and stayed there, I can maintain in 97 percent of situations...my 27-30 FPS.  Before, installing, with DX9 Bloom on...I'd usually be in the 12-17 FPS range.  Not any more.......and going on day 7 or so.....  So to recap my post install experience,  I can maintain now, the same 27-30 (locked at 30 within FSX)  regardless of whether I'm running under DX10, or DX9.  The same performance, with FSX all out.  I have absolutely no explanation,  nor even conjecture for this...but am enjoying immensely the dual performance FPS experience nonetheless, let me assure you! :)

Hi Rob

What are you settings for Bloom? and where do I set the bloom?

Do you select FSX bloom or check that off?

Manny

Beta tester for SIMStarter 

Hi Rob

Do you select FSX bloom or check that off?

In your FSX graphic settings, you'll see a check-box for BLOOM. Click on the check box and you are now going to render with the Bloom special effect as on....it's that simple. Flare goes hand in hand with the Bloom effect...so if you can, have that enabled as well. 

And you can change the settings for bloom (how much etc.) using the DX10 Fixer.

I never let FSX work on my FSX.CFG ... I always manually edit it.  The FSX.CFG setting is:

[Display]

BLOOM_EFFECTS=1

1 = Enabled  and 0 = Disabled

The reflective setting is in Steve's DX10 Fixer ... Click the General Shader "Configure" button.  In that screen go to the Bloom section, and move the "Reflective" slider to your liking.  For my taste, 60% seems to be perfect!

I have absolutely no explanation, nor even conjecture for this...but am enjoying immensely the dual performance FPS experience nonetheless, let me assure you! :)

It's good to know that I'm not alone on bumping into this "for free" FPS improvement, 25%-33% fps gain with better visuals is something Steve needs to "advertise" ... wow, it does make me wonder just how messed up FSX code is (the more I read from Steve's docs/blog the more messed up it seems to be) ... this find and the redundant LOD layers in the base BGLs.  I have a ton of respect for the Aces team and Phil Taylor ... but dang, this is one of those "errr come on guys/gals" moments.

Anyway, another BIG thanks to Steve for taking FSX to the next step.  Now the more difficult question, why didn't LM find and address these issues in their current v1.4 ... they have the huge advantage of source code?!

Rob

I just tried the Bloom thing myself, and BLOODY HELL! Jumped from an avg of 30fps in the flightdeck of the PMDG777 to approximately 42-45fps. Even the impact of the mouse courser is less for me.

Hm, I will defenitely give this a try too. I don't really like the bloom so I will use a lower settings. (I wonder what happens if you keep bloom enabled but pool the slider in the Fixer all the way to the left...?)

I just tried the Bloom thing myself, and BLOODY HELL! Jumped from an avg of 30fps in the flightdeck of the PMDG777 to approximately 42-45fps. Even the impact of the mouse courser is less for me.

There might be a 'run' on the Fixer....does FSS have enough download copies, LOLOLOLOLOL!

Glad to read yet another having a major increase, and not merely placebo, or token....   BTW...(wink, wink, nudge, nudge....you might be in for a little DX9  lovin' as well, check it out!)

So am I reading here that, even though I have no intentions of using DX10, if I were to purchase and install this Fixer and enable bloom it will perform better in DX9 than if I didn't have the Fixer installed?

if I were to purchase and install this Fixer and enable bloom it will perform better in DX9 than if I didn't have the Fixer installed?

I haven't confirmed that, but the man from Michigan is suggesting exactly that. :)

I just tried the Bloom thing myself, and BLOODY HELL! Jumped from an avg of 30fps in the flightdeck of the PMDG777 to approximately 42-45fps.

Oh good, it's not just a couple of us seeing this amazing FPS increase!

I could never use bloom with DX9 because of the frame hit. Now I can use bloom with no impact on frames. Around 50 -60% is best setting for me. DX10 is surely a winner, especially for those of us with less cpu power.

Carl

PC AMD Ryzen R7-5700G (8-Core) processor), AMD Radeon RX 6600 Graphics 8GB/ 2TB HD + 500GB SSD,  16GB DDR4 3200MHz RAM, Win11

_____________________________________________________________________________________

So am I reading here that, even though I have no intentions of using DX10, if I were to purchase and install this Fixer and enable bloom it will perform better in DX9 than if I didn't have the Fixer installed?

My system;

Before install , DX9 with Bloom on....mean average 15 FPS

Post installl    , DX9 with Bloom on   27(floor) to 30 FPS (top locked, and loaded)

Also, good bye to CTD's and OOM, even with FSX features set, hot and wild....  :)

Literally, I'm flying for hours real-time with no FPS degradation and FSX non-stable issues.  I fly, until I land..and shut down FSX.  The 'eagle' has landed...

P3D v2?  "Pfffft.............. "

I haven't confirmed that, but the man from Michigan is suggesting exactly that. :)

Oh good, it's not just a couple of us seeing this amazing FPS increase!

Hey, for a while (about a week...), I thought I was seemingly, the only one discovering this...~!!! 

Oh..an important note...any of us that purchased this..was with the intent of setting it up...and then running in DX10.  You'd have to mimic what we did...and actually set it up...then onto DX10 for  flight or three. Then...flip back to DX9 through Steve's mask allowing that. Do not touch, or uninstall the libraries...just leave them alone...and go back to DX9 and see for yourself. Each system is different, but there now seems to be a backing for my finding...and in fact, in the Fixer Forum, another has already discovered for himself, that DX9 has been inhanced.  I am now calling my DX9, the new and improved; DX9 'Hybrid'  :)   If Orbx can have a Hybrid...so can now DX9, lol!

Ses

Just so I understand Steve's fixer is mandatory to fps gains with bloom enabled ?

Has anyone tried this without Steve's paid fixer and seen any improvements ?

The reason I ask is that is Steve's paid fixer shifting processing to the gpu ?!.

What about the free shader release 3.2.2 , does that improve fps with bloom enabled ?