Sign in to follow this  
tazz

REX4 Direct Announced

Me 2 although splitting into few products.... This will hurt our wallets. Or their sales.

On the one hand it is good because ppl can choose. On the other... I wonder what the price for pack will be.

And I thought I will buy ASN... Now I'm not sure again ;)

Seriously?  The FSX community is shrinking and another directly competing product comes up?  Ugh.... They should wait 6 months.  ASN came out a while after OPUS was released etc.

| FAA ZMP |
| PPL ASEL |
| Windows 11 | MSI Z690 Tomahawk | 12700K 4.7GHz | MSI RTX 4080 | 32GB 5600 MHz DDR5 | 500GB Samsung 860 Evo SSD | 2x 2TB Samsung 970 Evo M.2 | EVGA 850W Gold | Corsair 5000X | HP G2 (VR) / LG 27" 1440p |

Seriously? The FSX community is shrinking and another directly competing product comes up? Ugh.... They should wait 6 months. ASN came out a while after OPUS was released etc.

It's shrinking? Where did you come up with this? Have any facts to back that statement up?

Further, since when did it become BAD for us to have choices? The fact we have more choices means this hobby is EXPANDING, not shrinking.

And lastly, what in the heck does another developer releasing a new product have to do with waiting just because a competing product was released?

Really don't get anything you posted. Makes zero sense.

I'm happy with ASN and have no plans of dropping it. I am really interested in their new Texture Direct which I no doubt will be purchasing. Curious what the 4th product is...

/ CPU: Intel i7-9700K @4.9 / RAM: 32GB G.Skill 3200 / GPU: RTX 4080 16GB /

RW Freight Pilot

Yes, the developers I've talked to say this.  In such a small niche market competing products aren't such a wonderful thing.  

Anyway good luck to REX team.

| FAA ZMP |
| PPL ASEL |
| Windows 11 | MSI Z690 Tomahawk | 12700K 4.7GHz | MSI RTX 4080 | 32GB 5600 MHz DDR5 | 500GB Samsung 860 Evo SSD | 2x 2TB Samsung 970 Evo M.2 | EVGA 850W Gold | Corsair 5000X | HP G2 (VR) / LG 27" 1440p |

Yes, the developers I've talked to say this. In such a small niche market competing products aren't such a wonderful thing.

Anyway good luck to REX team.

Which developers? And why?

I think it's a decent strategy to break out the main components and offer them seperatley.

I have my own weather engine preferences, but consider the REX textures a must.

Buying another FULL REX offering with wx engine would likely disuade me.

cheers

Trimwheel - let's hope that this separate packs will be actually cheaper per one than full Rex....

I'm waiting on purchasing ASN to see what REX can do. I have REX-E and their textures are amazing but I am ready for a more advanced weather engine. I'm still giving REX the opportunity to amaze me, but I haven't seen anything specific mentioned, like up/down drafts, smooth winds, wake turbulence, and I'm interesting in having those kinds of features now.

As for the contraction or expansion of flight sims, I believe it to be expanding. I don't have any stats to point to, but I personally got into flight sims about 2 or 3 years ago after I grew tired of automotive/racing sims. There were only so many ways to tune a suspension and take a turn. The last time I flew MS Flight Simulator before that was on my dad's IBM XT back in the 80's when the only colors were green and not green. I think as people get bored of other sims (like racing or train sims, for instance) you'll find converts to flight. And as other parts of the market for commercial games get saturated by cookie-cutter shooting games that offer no challenge or optimism, people from those genres will start to migrate as well. Flight sims have an open world filled with amazing visuals and enough complexity to literally keep someone learning and interested for years. I think if flight sims stick to their core raison d'etre, you'll find the community will get larger in the face of an increasingly commercialized (and boring) games market that offers very few interesting alternatives.

If anything id say its growing...i thinm we still even have all the FS9 users still transitioning lolll

Sent from my SGH-I747M using Tapatalk

George Kyriazis | www.georgekonline.com

ELB729.png

I for one enjoy seeing this competition, as studies have proven that the end user benefits with lower prices and more choices.   Simple economics really, but seeing this dynamic play out on a niche hobby like ours is all the more noteworthy because of a few factors, among them, the base software (FSX) is more than 7 years old and development stopped a long time ago with no promise that it will pick up in the future.  Yes, there is P3D, but that is even more specifically targeted to a small audience, and it's largely based on the same outdated code.   Look at Nvidia, they have basically laughed in the faces of people asking them to optimize their drivers for the platform, citing the age and market share of our sim relative to the shoot up games they target.

We are very very lucky that these developers have chosen to stick around and fight it out in the marketplace.  And when you add the issue of software piracy, which has stopped some other developers in their tracks, I am very pleased to know that developers like Hifi, REX, and Opus find it worth their time and money to compete for such a small sliver of the entertainment PC software market.