Sign in to follow this  
James Bennett

Still worried about making the leap to FSX...

A few weeks ago i built a new PC (click My PC for specs) and though my main aim was to stick FSX on it, i find i'm still sat here weeks later playing FS9 because i'm worried i'll spend money on the disc, the addons etc and it'll run worse than FS9 does.

This isn't an FSX bashing thread. This is me asking for honest advice about how well it'll run on my PC and whether an overclock would be either necessary or just make it nicer to run.

Thanks.

Edited to say: i'll be wanting to run it with weather and aircraft payware. Base FSX package i can run without any issues.

Get out of here! I run it on a Q6600 overclocked to 3.2  with a gt8800 and 4GB RAM and its pretty good most of the time  :rolleyes:

Anyhow I bet you can pick up a copy of FSX for not that much? 

Also I got it across 3 monitors  :yahoo:

Crazy idea here. Just install it and see for yourself? I have both in my hdd. No biggie. Best way is to see for yourself!

I've tried the demo and it runs at a constant 20fps with the sliders mostly to the far right, but that's no indication of how well it will perform with lots of complex addons which is how i'll be running it. I was looking to see experiences from people with similar hardware.

Get out of here! I run it on a Q6600 overclocked to 3.2  with a gt8800 and 4GB RAM and its pretty good most of the time  :rolleyes:

Anyhow I bet you can pick up a copy of FSX for not that much? 

Also I got it across 3 monitors  :yahoo:

Oh well that's good to know! As i say the base FSX game i can pick up silly cheap but that's not really what i'll be playing it like so it's not a great indication.

Thanks for your replies.

I dont think the demo includes SP1 and 2 which help performance. So you'll probably get better performance out of the real FSX with both service packs than the demo.

Avsim Board of Directors | Avsim Forums Moderator

Yep, the gold edition includes SP1, SP2 and acceleration.

FSX will run fine on your system.  Even better with a bit of a CPU overclock.

The gold edition is pretty cheaply available now.

No problems in running both FS9 and FSX on the same system.

When I first got FSX, I kept FS9 installed for a few weeks in case I didn't get on with FSX, but soon deleted it together with all of the addons I had accumulated. Very few FS9 addons seem to play with FSX in my experience.

There are a couple of small tweaks you can make to the FSX.cfg that will give you outstanding performance.  Either read the forums or ask here.

IAN

Ryzen 5800X3D, Nvidia 3080 - 32 Gig DDR4 RAM, 1TB & 2 TB NVME drives - Windows 11 64 bit MSFS 2020 Premium Deluxe Edition Resolution 2560 x 1440 (32 inch curved monitor)

My system is slightly worse than yours (lower CPU speed and "smaller" video card), and it can run FSX just fine, depending on addons and graphics settings.

FSX Gold is best for the start (includes FSX deluxe and the ACC pack, so you don't need the two FSX SPs anymore).

Check your FS9 addons for double installers: A number of aircraft include both installers for FS9 and for FSX.

Others offer inexpensive cross licences (those ones by Flight1 in particular), starting with a USD 15 price tag.

You may even own FS9-only aircraft that can be "ported" (copied) into FSX like the F1 Pilatus PC-12 or the Aerosoft Seahawk helicopter.

Weather engines: Active Sky Evolution, for example, works with FS9 and also with FSX. No double purchase needed.

Edited by olli4740

My 2c...

Out of the box FSX looks like a cartoon. You will need a good mesh (FSGlobal, for example) then a decent landclass packet (UT) and something like FTX Global to round it all off. Along with a good weather engine (as mentioned above) and sky textures (HDEv2 - it's free and good) and you will never look back. This from a die-hard FS9-er (now happily criss-crossing my FSX skies).

After these basic but very necessary add-ons (IMO) you can start adding all sorts of other goodies. 

Enjoy!

MSI Pro Z690-A DDR4 | i5 13600KF | G.Skill Ripjaws V 32GB 3600MHz | ASUS TUF RTX 3080 (12GB) | Samsung 980 M.2 NVMe 500GB | Samsung 980 M.2 NVMe 1TB | Samsung 850EVO 500GB | 2TB Seagate HDD | Deepcool AK500 CPU Cooler | Thrustmaster T16000M HOTAS | CH Yoke | Win 11 22H2 build | MSFS2020 |

Tony K.

Know where you're coming from James.   I only picked up FSX Gold about six weeks ago for £12 and after installing it, FS9 came off within a week.   Should've made the change before but there you go.....  Using ASE (as mentioned above) seemlessly and quite a few Orbx add-ons.  Never thought I'd change but so glad I did..... :wink2:

What's the worry. It's dirt cheap, and if anything there are a couple of great missions to entertain you!

Simmerhead - Making the virtual skies unsafe since 1987! 

I've been using FSX for two years on a more modest rig, with OrbX sceneries and A2A and RA aircraft and Opus real wheather at 24 fps. Heavy airliners I dont know but the QW Avro 146 is mostly ok on smaller airports (aint a big city flyer :) )

Dominique

Simming since 1981 -  4770k@3.7 GHz with 16 GB of RAM and a 1080 with 8 GB VRAM running a 27" @ 2560*1440 - Windows 10 - Warthog HOTAS - MFG pedals - MSFS Standard version with Steam

Just to add another voice of encouragement - go for it!. I run both FS9 and FSX on a system that is not quite as powerful as yours and FSX generally runs very smoothly and without problems, with very few exceptions. Yes, the frame rates when I run FS9 are a lot higher, but that really doesn't make any difference as long as the sim is running smoothly and I understand that the human eye cannot appreciate frame rates much more than 30 FPS anyway!

Bill

The thing is, you have to tweak it!!!!

I suggest the Matt Davies 2013 YouTube fsx tweaking guide!

But with your system it should be smooth sailing even with the NGX!