Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

MeneMene

Ifly vs PMDG 737NG

I can get the ifly 737 upgrade to FSX for 15$, or buy the NGX completely new. I'm inclined to think that there wouldn't be enough of a difference to justify the extra money. Is this a safe assumption? Can someone who owns both outline the merits/disadvantages of each with respect to each other?

thanks

Help AVSIM continue to serve you!
Please donate today!

Hiya, well, as someone who owns both, I no longer have the Ifly on my drive! IMO the NGX is streets ahead. The main reasons for me was the far superior rendering of the aircraft, both externally and in the VC. The NGX is in a different league. Then there's the 2d windows on the fuselage of the Ifly and the 3d windows on the PMDG, not a deal breaker, but another one of those small irritations. As for the flight dynamics, it's hard to compare having not flown a real 737, but for me, the PMDG certainly seemed to 'feel' more realistic and adheres to the 'slippery' characteristics on descent which I have heard from RW 737 pilots as being a trait of the aircraft. I have to admit that I only downloaded the initial release along with the following SP, so I don't know if things have been changed in any way since it's early updates. As for disadvantages of the PMDG, well, in my experience it is quite a lot heavier than the Ifly. In the Ifly I would get about 30 frames around an airport, when I got the NGX the same scenario would return frames of about 25, so quite a big difference. Also, as I understand things, the Ifly is the 737 of choice for cockpit builders. I think this has something to do with 2d panels, the SDK or something, I'm sure someone can expand on this. Anyway, the PMDG NGX is the girl for me :wink:

We know which direction this thread is going to go.

Ha, well yes, I was hoping to avoid that. But what else am I supposed to do? Back in FS9 the ifly bird was pretty fantastic, I just want to know what more the PMDG version offers. Hopefully people will be mature enough to stick to that.

In my opinion, the PMDG bird is way ahead of the iFly but if you can get the iFly for $15 then that's a killer deal that shouldn't be passed up. It all depends on what it's worth to you.

I chose the iFly over the PMDG and am quite happy with my choice. For $15 go for it and use the balance to get something else, scenery or the like.

I can get the ifly 737 upgrade to FSX for 15$, or buy the NGX completely new. I'm inclined to think that there wouldn't be enough of a difference to justify the extra money. (...)

Exactly my opinion (and no more than that  :P).

The iFly also seems to be the first complex plane in FSX to receive an ASN-standard ND-integrated wx radar.

I agree with Rockliffe that some of the modeling is not quite as detailed in the iFly as it is in the NXG. You do pay for that in frames. As for the way the iFly performs, SP3.2 is miles ahead of the first release. In my opinion it is just as good as the NGX, almost, look the difference between the two is so small now that if you can live with the slightly less done graphics, it would be hard to account for the extra cost, to me.

Ok it seems I've decided to go with the Ifly version. I've never been disappointed with any PMDG product I've bought, but it's simply not worth the extra $55. Thanks to everyone for keeping it civil.

PMDG isn't 'streets ahead'. Pmdg fans gotta stop reading what it says on the side of the box.

Hi Jon, while your opinion is that the PMDG isn't streets ahead, my opinion, which I presume was relevent to the OP, is that the PMDG, is streets ahead. My opinion is based on owning both aircraft and not reading what it says on the box :wink: But I did admit not knowing whether the Ifly has indeed been reworked and by what Jimmy said, it has, and that I'm pleased about. BTW, I won't post any more comments here, as I don't wish this thread to go south... :smile:

Hi Jon, while your opinion is that the PMDG isn't streets ahead, my opinion, which I presume was relevent to the OP, is that the PMDG, is streets ahead. My opinion is based on owning both aircraft and not reading what it says on the box :wink: But I did admit not knowing whether the Ifly has indeed been reworked and by what Jimmy said, it has, and that I'm pleased about. BTW, I won't post any more comments here, as I don't wish this thread to go south... :smile:

Could you be more specific about what makes it better? From what I've gathered, it has more 3d detail (not as important) and some differences in flight dynamics. I thought the ifly's flight dynamics in FS9 were right in the money, but of course FSX is different. Anything else?

I disagree with Rockcliffe.  I have both aircraft and spend more time in the iFly than in the PMDG aircraft.  Unless you are deeply in to service based failures (PMDG) there is no real difference except:  you get the 600, 700, 700ER, 800, 900, 900ER, BBJ, BBJ2, and BBJ3 for the single price of the iFly.  You will soon have ASN based weather radar in the iFly - if ASN can generate it, the iFly will display it.  You get full RNP capability as well as RF leg capability in the iFly.  You get the ability to use multiple ILS frequencies for the same runway (EDDF, etc...).  You have probabilistic failures if you care about failures.  The flight models are excellent for both FS9 and for FSX.

DJ

Funny thing is, Rockliffe is right, based on what he said, and Ubersu is also correct. $15, it's a no brainer.

With the radar integration, I will probably go back to flying the iFly more often. Of course I'll still load up the NGX because, she sure is purty! :lol:

I know any weather radar program installed in the panel of any aircraft will eat up FPS.  Captain Sim tried a weather radar program and turning it on really affected frames.  I prefer PMDG over iFly's version ONLY because I do not like the way they set up the click spots on their panels.  PMDG's is so much more intuitive.  It's a shame as they have nice models otherwise.  I do not think PMDG has a copyright on click spots.  Like Howard I own them both but have removed the iFly version. I definitely won't reinstall it just because of a weather radar.   

Best regards,

My 2 cents is that I am getting better fps with pmdg compared with ifly.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk

Why nobody discusses what Ifly will do next?I mean maybe a 737 classic why not? We allways talk about what PMDG will do next

Why nobody discusses what Ifly will do next?I mean maybe a 737 classic why not? We allways talk about what PMDG will do next

They never talk about anything next, they keep pushing out new updates and innovations for their fleet of 737 packages, FS9, FSX, P3D1.4, P3D2.0 and their cockpit builder suite. I give them credit they are continually improving and improvising with other 3PDs.

Hi Everyone,

I don't normally post to these topics, but on this occasion I think it is appropriate that I do. Threads that compare one products against another usually don't go well and when one of the product I am involved with is mentioned all I ask is for things to be fair.

I was disappointed that someone I have huge respect for decided to comment on an older version and not our current offering. Having myself posted in the past without thinking things through I hope s this was one of those.

The staff here at AVSIM and other enthusiasts sites do an amazing job and one that is often taken for granted. I remember when I got my first modem and my simulation world came alive due to the great community here and available on the other great sites, getting up in the morning to see the files that had been downloading overnight. Many younger members won't have experienced that joy. When serious injury ended my career and real world flying, it was these communities that kept me sane.

It is really important that the people behind the products are simmers and behind the scenes we all get on. My close friends know I am a PMDG fan and have been since their first aircraft. I own a boxed version of the PMDG NGX and Ryan at PMDG owns a copy of the iFly. It is the competition that is making sure simmers are getting the best possible products. We are seeing some amazing products at the moment, scenery, aircraft, GA, Airliners, Military, and helicopters. We all look at what is new and how other developers have raised that bar and then set about looking to see what we can do. It is great to be a fan of your favourite developer, but also you need to open your eyes to what is happening and how as a simmer things could not be better. As has been mentioned we are incorporating ASN weather radar and have launched an open beta for our owners who make a donation to ORBIS and help save the sight of a chid. How does this help you if your a PMDG fan?  Well I am sure the team at PMDG will follow on and add support for the great work Damien and Kostas and the team at ASN have done. We, like PMDG always said no weather radar because it was not realistic, now it is and as I said earlier it is a great time for simmers. Innovation is improving our hobby. For those fearing the worst about FPS, no panel is added to the aircraft it just reads the data from ASN.

Back to the crux of the topic and I am the first to say that if your a 3D cockpit fan the PMDG NGX is really nice and yes the way they modelled their failures is impressive. When the iFly was first released over 3 years ago it was never intended to compete with PMDG, the product now has little resemblance to that first released and our current version is also a lot different from the SP that was mentioned. So please if you want to compare please compare the current offering and not what has now passed it's sell by date.

Our great hobby is in a good place despite what some people will say. You are seeing amazing quality products at the moment from the Dash 8 and PMDG 777 and when the bar is raised it is a challenge for others to do likewise. There maybe less new products, but in my view quality over quantity any day of the week. When you post comparing one against the other it's nice to be nice, as we are all trying to make sure when you choose to going flying in your precious free time it is an enjoyable and rewarding experience.

Happy holidays.

My 2 cents is that I am getting better fps with pmdg compared with ifly.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk

Likewise, I get double fps with the NGX than the Ifly.  The IFLY was great in FS9 but not optimised properly for FSX.

The PMDG is miles ahead of the ifly in terms of graphics and its biggest feature: the hud which has been faithfully recreated vs being an ordinary gauge on the windshield. 

And the HUD works just fine and looks good when you swing it down in place. But like a lot of pilots, I choose not to use it. Means nothing for me anyway.

The HUD is a big seller and the biggest empty spot for me on the 777 is the lack of one (one 737 pilots says that its the HUD that makes the 737 top dog over the 777 for him). Its nice when you can hand fly in CATIII conditions.

I don't fly tubes much anymore but I think the IFLY has come a long way since it was first released,  systems are great and if you happen to own ASN.....    I still prefer the VC graphics, clickspots and panel night nighting in the NGX .  Speaking of the panel lighting.  The IFLY panel lighting is greatly improved from the release version I flew years ago... I just wish they would get the AFDS flood, background and pedestal  floods working. 

One thing I like about the PMDG version is how you can configure the a/c via the FMC in real time without having to use an external config menu outside the sim. You can change fuel, pax, equipment options, perform maintenance, all live in the sim. Not sure the iFly does that but its a neat feature. I used to hate the old school methods where you had to do all that externally using a config manager.

Not sure if the iFly has this or not, but I like the way the NGX exterior lights like the strobe and nav lights reflect off the ground and the landing and taxiway lights actually illuminate objects they shine on besides just the ground.