Sign in to follow this  
fakeflyer737

Mindstar GPS

I don't own the aircraft, so I don't know what works or doesn't work.

Is the Duke released with a GPS500, not a 530? Is this why there's statements that the 530 can't be used in the VC? The 500 and 530 are identical in size so that should work... the 500 does not have radio integration but is only a GPS.

I really don't understand why you can't use the 530 in the VC.

Ed Wilson

Mindstar Aviation
My Playland - I69

Ed the Duke has the standard FSX GPS 500 with different fascia in the VC. The 2D popup is identical to the GPS 500 in default aircraft. I'm not convinced, but could be wrong, that I couldn't use your gauge as a popup, without disabling the default GPS. But if I have to disable the darn thing I will. I'd rather use VOR's and NDB's than rely on outdated data in the GPS.

If you look in your Duke panel folder, you'll find an fs9gps.cab file - that is where the RAS_gps resides.. it is a modified version of the FSX GPS500.  Whether it would interfere with the Mindstar gauge, only Mindstar can answer..

Thanks Bert. I was wondering if they were two separate gauges as they had different names but I see that it's all in the fs9gps!

James McLees

Ok... the 500 is not the same as a 530... they are different units. I am still wondering why our 530 can't be used in the VC. If you place it there, won't it display the screen correctly even if there are switch differences? Or is the physical unit design so far off from the real deal that it doesn't line up with ours at all?

Ed Wilson

Mindstar Aviation
My Playland - I69

The Duke has RXP GNS panel options, but only RXP users can 'unlock' the GNS 430 and 530 VC panels.

Todd

I wonder if putting in some token rxpgns files would not fool the RealAir installer into allowing the panels to show..

Bert

Ok, by putting a blank file named rxpGNS.dll in the gauges folder of FSX I was able to get the RealAir panel config program to allow me to define a 530/430 setup in the cockpit of the Turbine Duke.

Once that was done, I simply edited the panel.cfg and changed all of the gauge entries for the RXP GNS with corrected entries for the Mindstar GNS units.

In the VC I was able to manipulate the controls and the popups work as well.

Ed Wilson

Mindstar Aviation
My Playland - I69

Ok, by putting a blank file named rxpGNS.dll in the gauges folder of FSX I was able to get the RealAir panel config program to allow me to define a 530/430 setup in the cockpit of the Turbine Duke.

Once that was done, I simply edited the panel.cfg and changed all of the gauge entries for the RXP GNS with corrected entries for the Mindstar GNS units.

Good news! I'll try to duplicate your work this weekend. Thanks Ed.

James McLees

So why not document it here for all your customers so that they dont have to go trail and error.

I been advocating this long time to do in A2A 172/cherokee, where I use my own 530, but not having the RXP, i simply bypass the RXP with a "empty" rxpGNS.dll, and it worked. I think i told mr harris how to do it even before the mindstar was released. (he was testing for you guys, as I understood). but yeah I see you guys still struggle with elementary things.

Over at A2A this has been posted now so many times. Same principle just use it for Realair.

I use my own GPS530 with great success in VC and popup for Realair Duke and Turbine duke and A2A planes. Work like a charm.

Actually it is so simple. People always complicate stuff.

Ed I have the unit installed in both the VC and as a popup. In the VC it's a perfect fit and is graphically very nice with the dust and all. The popup comes up with Shift2 or clicking on the unit in the VC. My only question is this, is the unit supposed to turn on in the VC? The screen does slightly change color when the on/off is selected. The popup powers on quite nicely. If this is the way it's supposed to be I'm content.

No, not your unit in the VC, here is the line in the cfg...

gauge19=MPI_GNS!, 1, 607, 502, 416, 1:1:1

okay, changing that last number to -1

I'll report back in a few

James McLees

I found my mistake, the new line reads...
gauge19=MPI_GNS!GNS530, 1, 607, 502, 416, 1:1:-1

The front of the 500 unit is still on top of the 530 although most of the screen is visible. It looks kinda cool like that because I still have the dust and the original look of the VC, and it turns on and off using the 500's ON/OFF button. Still, I have something off, even if I decide that this IS the way I want it. ps maybe I should take this discussion to the proper forum?

James McLees

To update, the unit is installed beautifully with a bit of help from Mindstar support. They were quick and helpful. For anyone else with a Turbine Duke with old avionics, this gauge and data is a no brainer. My final cfg edit for the VC, which created a nice custom look,  is as follows...

gauge19=MPI_GNS!GNS530, -35, 607, 520, 416, 1:1:-1

James McLees

I now have the Turbine Duke with the Mindstar GNS installed in P3D 2.2 and both are working perfectly. Great plane, great avionics, great sim!

Tightened up the fit, it now reads...

gauge19=MPI_GNS!GNS530, -55, 607, 560, 416, 1:1:-1

James McLees