Sign in to follow this  
BleedAir

IXEG

So we've crested some milestones on the FMS lnav.  We're at about 98%.  We have small challenges to deal with regarding our Nav data set.  Sometimes the data is just a little funky and we're trying to be smart about it and not just say, "you can't fly that route".  I doubt we'll ever get 100% perfect because some data is just not right....but with over 340,000 points in the database, I guess a few oops are to be expected.  

Most of the time, in cases of "desperation or emergency", you can hand edit the XML data to get troublesome routes cleaned up.  I expect we'll have some sort of un-official forum thread for instructing how to hand-clean your own navigation files on those rare occasions it is needed.  

Below is a screenshot of LSZH, RWY 16, GERS1 departure with lnav tracking.  With the lnav processing out of the way, its now a downhill run to implement vnav and a few other things before wrapping up the FMS and cleaning up remaining 3D.   The train is indeed approaching the station.

Tom Kyler

post-168182-0-43955600-1419959148.png

Chooo! Choooo!

MEMES-excuse-me-guys-im-looking-for-the-

The train is indeed approaching the station.

Don't tease me.

NAX669.png

you can hand edit the XML data to get troublesome routes cleaned up.

Will we be able to update the navdata using Navigraph or NavDataPro?

Mario Donick .:. vFlyteAir

Will we be able to update the navdata using Navigraph or NavDataPro?

Absolutely.   We have a 'newer' data set that we use to test "swap out" or "update" functionality.    Its a common dataset used by many products.   I came across two routes with the updated dataset, that upon close examination of the data, just didn't result in a cleanly 'calculable' route.  Oh we drew a flyable route alright, but it looked like spaghetti onscreen.  Removing two of the data points brought the procuedure "in line" with the published description.

This is an example of the occasional "breakage" of some routes that might be seen when updating data.  When comparing the subscribed to data to the published procedure descriptions, it might be that you would have to 'hand edit' the nav data files.....either by removing data points or tweaking parameters, to get it to match up with real world counterparts.  How such discrepancies get communicated back to the data provider in a useful way I have no idea.  I'm sure the process is quite automated given the number of data sources.

Because we don't own/generate the data, we cannot publish/distribute "patched routes" in these cases...but I am all for training folks, via forums, in the particulars of the data format so when they have a troublesome route, they won't be afraid to go in with a text editor and clean up their favorite procedures in their own datasets.  Of course, each update might overwrite their edited procedures...but that's on the data subscriber's shoulders to manage.

Once we have the product out, we will look at any shortcomings of the dataset and evaluate options.  Re-writing the code for a new dataset format is not a trivial endeavor.   For the most part, we're very happy with what we have thus far.

Tom K

Thank you for the latest update.

I dust off my old 737-300/400/500 FCOM last night in preparation for this upcoming release.

Tom; will IXEG be releasing a FCOM/documentations prior to releasing the 737 Classic?

Thanks for the information regarding navdata!

will IXEG be releasing a FCOM/documentations prior to releasing the 737 Classic?

In addition to twiggys' question: Will you create a manual which is not "just" the FCOM, but also covers the special needs of simulation users? Will you include written tutorials? (My favorite manuals so far in X-Plane aircraft are the manual of the LES Saab 340A, and the SSG Boeing 747-8, which both are very well written and userfriendly.)

Mario Donick .:. vFlyteAir

I am not sure if we will release any documentation beforehand.   We are not planning on just copying an FCOM, tossing it at everybody and calling it a day.  We've spent a fair amount of time building a documentation template system so we can have look/feel consistency while maintaing flexibility to add whatever documentation is needed and desired by users.  I've been big into providing good tutorials since my first one for the MU2.

I myself am not a airliner type simmer, but have become one more so through this project.  As such, the fun I'm looking for is learning the systems and procedures in an engaging and logical way.....and an FCOM just is not made for that.  For the experienced folks, a real FCOM will be just fine...but we are writing a "from scratch, FCOM lite" as it were as a reference.....written in plain words and patterned after the FCOM somewhat.  

In addition though, Jan is spearheading the development of a series of training documents that are more suitable for folks wanting to learn in small, digestible chunks.  For example, we have a PDF tutorial that simply covers flying a pattern manually....another covers basic radio navigation operations...and later, aspects of FMS operations etc.  Its the learning that's the fun part...at least for me...and providing sim training resources to complement the simulation itself is very important to us.   Jan has a great way with words for the laymen and with as many hours as he has in the 737, it should be a great series!

TomK

IXEG

Ohh,What a fantastic Update! Cheers Tom and a Very Happy New Year to You,Your Family and The IXEG Team.

100%75%50%d8a34be0e82d98b5a45ff4336cd0dddc

0D8701AB-1210-4FF8-BD6C-309792740F81.gif

Patrick

Tom; thanks for clarifying.

I must say; I like the approach, a little bit for everyone. Us experienced folks can jump-in head first; while also catering to the folks learning, by dipping their toe in first.

Yup a great New Year's update!

A tutorial is always the best way to get airborne, with the dry stuff for reference.

Sounds like you guys have are on the right track.

As for lnav data, even some of the most respected add ons can show weird route draws, and as such it is up to the pilot to make sure the data matches the charts, even if it means culling a couple of waypoints!

HDR On/Off Comparison Shot

33ugbqr.jpg

100%75%50%d8a34be0e82d98b5a45ff4336cd0dddc

0D8701AB-1210-4FF8-BD6C-309792740F81.gif

Patrick

Very nice! I am anxious to flight with this aircraft! :o  :o  :o Please release...

José Luís

| Flightsimulator: MSFS | Add-Ons: | PMDG Douglas DC-6 | PMDG 737-700 | Fenix A320 | Maddog X MD82| FSW CESSNA 414AW CHANCELLOR |

Wonderful night lights but i wish if there was an image with dome lights off and HDR on which sows better the glareshield fluorescent light and panel lights.

X-Plane11

GTX1070 8GB Vram - i7 4770K cpu @3.5GHz Quad core - 16GB RAM

see the gallery section at our website, towards the bottom is exactly that kind of image plus a few others with HDR and no dome light.

-TKyler