Sign in to follow this  
flyaway

X-Plane for a long time FSX user?

Tired about FSX crashes, micro-stutters, low FPS etc.

So im thinking about giving xplane a try with their demo. I got a very good system 4770k paired with gtx 780 and 16gb of fast ram so I guess I could crank all sliders to the max.

Is this Demo going to give me a clear idea regarding graphics, smoothness and flight dynamics of what xplane is going to be if I buy it?

What are its pros and cons versus FSX?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Double post due to tapatalk issues. My apologies

The demo will give you a good idea of what to expect, especially how the default scenery looks and how it looks at night. If it runs smoothly at max settings, then this is a good indication it will run great on your system.

You are also free to install any addons/plugins into the demo as long as you don't leave the KSEA area.

As for pros/cons. I don't know what sort of simming you like, but for me, these are the pros/cons

• 64-Bit support .I can install what I like, max everything out and never run out of memory. 
  • The visuals, shadows and lighting are stunning.
  • High detailed scenery available for free from sites such as simheaven.com. Great for GA flying
  • The upcoming 10.30 will be even more attactive for GA fliers,with the included GNS430/530 units.
  • I prefer the flight dynamics in the X-Plane versions of GA planes, such as the Tomahawk, which I have on both FSX and X-Plane.
  • Helicopters. A real challenge and incredible fun. Fly much better than they do in FSX.

However,

• For tubeliners, the current planes are lagging behind what is available for FSX. If you are looking for a PMDG 737NGX for example, you will be disappointed. This situtation is changing very quickly though, and there are several study-level sims out, and just wait till the IXEG 737 comes out, which looks incredible.
  • Not very friendly for new users. The interface is clunky and difficult to use.
  • The VC manipulators are awful, without the ability to use the mousewheel to tune dials, it makes real time IFR flights very difficult. I have to pause the sim to change the heading/altitude etc. This is one of the reasons I just stick to GA.

Also like every new relationship you must be willing to work to get it right. I hated Xplane for years, but I decided that I had to find out why someone would prefer it over FSX and it's been a slow love affair, but now if I had to divorce one or the other, Xplane would be my wife.

Thank you for your response. Truth is I sim a lot in tubeliners. Doing 2-6 hr hauls. However I find myself doing GA as well sometimes so I enjoy both.

Are they releasing xplane 10.3?

I dont get what you mean by GSN430/530 units.

Basically the GPS units in X-Plane 10.25 are rubbish (to be polite), and finally we will get a decent updatable GPS in 10.30 which supports SID/STARs and WAAS approaches, for free.

The upcoming iXEG 737 is going to be probably the most  complex / detailled  737  model available among all simulation platforms.

There are already other good tubeliners in X-Plane like the recently released FF 757, or the FJSim 727 series if you like the older stuff :-) I don't own any of these, but have been able to test the 727-200 and found it amazing!

For turboprop, I have heard / read the best about the LES / X-Aviation Saab 340, with very complex systems simulated.

Main Simulation Rig:

Ryzen 5600x, 32GB RAM, Nvidia RTX 3060 Ti, 1 TB & 500 GB M.2 nvme drives, Win11.

Glider pilot since 1980...

Avid simmer since 1992...

If you need a complex fairly modern airliner I absolutely recommend the FF 757. It's equal to the NGX in terms of modelling. Granted I have only clocked up about 25 hours of flight with it so far and have several hundred with the NGX, but I haven't once felt like the 757 was lacking something.

The biggest pro for me is the frame rate, you can add 15 to whatever you get in FSX across the board. The night lighting is like nothing else. The feeling of inertia and actually flying in the sim is far superior to FSX.

I think the only reason people stick with FSX is because they've spent so much money on addons. It is absolutely not a superior platform.

I think the only reason people stick with FSX is because they've spent so much money on addons

yep! However, people at some point should stop throwing good money after bad.  My spent money can't be recoup.  Now I setup my FSX in minimalist mode and only use it to fly PMDG.  Plus the more time I spent in XPX, the more I found FSX graphics so 2007!

heard / read the best about the LES / X-Aviation Saab 340

You heard that right! It is very very good.  I like this plane much better than the Dash 8!

Vu Pham

i7-10700K 5.2 GHz OC, 64 GB RAM, GTX4070Ti, SSD for Sim, SSD for system. MSFS2020

X-Plane has a better feel of flight. FSX actually has the better flight dynamics for aircraft. X-Plane has been faking out would be pilots for years. It's still happening. Just read the org. forums.......such as the new one, "Cessna 172 left roll". There is no way, that in my mind, that I can sign off X-Plane as having superior flight dynamics over FSX. My "mind", knows what it takes to properly rig a real airplane. I don't want a heavy wing, which amounts to a rolling action in one direction or the other. And I certainly know, that I don't want to be using aileron trim, as a method of eliminating the roll. This adds drag, and this adds more yaw, which actually requires more rudder to offset the aileron induced yaw. Yet, the prescription for X-Plane flight..........calls for simply using aileron trim. The other option, is a work-around, such as Carenado uses. The X-Plane torque effects are reduced, which eliminates the need for aileron trim. Problem is, X-Plane torque is quite realistic, while the forces that overcome it, just are not yet in the X-Plane flight dynamics department.

My position. I have not flown either FSX or X-Plane for a year. I loved flying from the cockpit of a real airplane. I enjoyed flight simulation for several decades. I'm now doing some R/C, but the sensation of flying from the cockpit is not there. I want a high powered computer upgrade before simming again. My last computer upgrade for for both X-Plane and FSX. I won't get a new system now, just for FSX. It would have to be for X-Plane too.

I am thrilled that a new GPS will be available for X-Plane. I really like the X-Plane graphics I'm seeing. Austin is supposeably working on the torque problem, although it hasn't yet been mentioned, when it comes to version 10.30. I hope it's taken care of, I really do! I just constantly seem to get irratated, when I read about X-Planes glorius flight dynamics, and then the same old torque issues, that pop up every week or so, especially at the org. Most everyone here, is just sick of me saying anything, and I can't say anything at the org. But the question is....pros & cons.

Larry I personally get irritated when I see your name cropping up again and repeating the same line every time flight model comparisons arise because you provide no evidence other than the 'some pilot I spoke to at the garage who flies Mentors' type (on this forum anyway, I haven't seen your input at the Org). I remember also on a video posted on the P3D forums I noted that in the VC that there was no rudder or stick movement at all on take-off despite a strong crosswind and your response was 'trust me, I can feel it's there even if you can't see the pedals move'.

Having said that I genuinely feel your challenging the powers that be (particularly Austin) has a vital role to play so keep it up:)

i910900k, RTX 3090, 32GB DDR4 RAM, AW3423DW, Ruddy girt big mug of Yorkshire Tea

X-Plane has a better feel of flight. FSX actually has the better flight dynamics for aircraft. X-Plane has been faking out would be pilots for years. It's still happening. Just read the org. forums.......such as the new one, "Cessna 172 left roll". There is no way, that in my mind, that I can sign off X-Plane as having superior flight dynamics over FSX. My "mind", knows what it takes to properly rig a real airplane. I don't want a heavy wing, which amounts to a rolling action in one direction or the other. And I certainly know, that I don't want to be using aileron trim, as a method of eliminating the roll. This adds drag, and this adds more yaw, which actually requires more rudder to offset the aileron induced yaw. Yet, the prescription for X-Plane flight..........calls for simply using aileron trim. The other option, is a work-around, such as Carenado uses. The X-Plane torque effects are reduced, which eliminates the need for aileron trim. Problem is, X-Plane torque is quite realistic, while the forces that overcome it, just are not yet in the X-Plane flight dynamics department.

My position. I have not flown either FSX or X-Plane for a year. I loved flying from the cockpit of a real airplane. I enjoyed flight simulation for several decades. I'm now doing some R/C, but the sensation of flying from the cockpit is not there. I want a high powered computer upgrade before simming again. My last computer upgrade for for both X-Plane and FSX. I won't get a new system now, just for FSX. It would have to be for X-Plane too.

I am thrilled that a new GPS will be available for X-Plane. I really like the X-Plane graphics I'm seeing. Austin is supposeably working on the torque problem, although it hasn't yet been mentioned, when it comes to version 10.30. I hope it's taken care of, I really do! I just constantly seem to get irratated, when I read about X-Planes glorius flight dynamics, and then the same old torque issues, that pop up every week or so, especially at the org. Most everyone here, is just sick of me saying anything, and I can't say anything at the org. But the question is....pros & cons.

larry no body here said anything about xplane having superior flight dynamics. tonywb only mentioned this

• I prefer the flight dynamics in the X-Plane versions of GA planes, such as the Tomahawk, which I have on both FSX and X-Plane.

notice the word prefer. hes saying he likes it better because thats what he likes. we all cant like one thing. i personally Prefer BBQ cheesesteaks over regular cheesesteaks. when my friends mention they like regular cheesesteaks i dont throw a fit because they like it. I understand that people have different tastes. 

Until the news of a new GPS, FSX was a much better platform for the type of flying I do - GA/online... With RXP and buildings at default airports .... I still fly it over XP. And the addons are of better quality (and quantity).

Still, after buying the Saab I'm quite impressed with XP - and the new GPS is a huge plus I'm excited about.... Could really be the turning point for me.

| FAA ZMP |
| PPL ASEL |
| Windows 11 | MSI Z690 Tomahawk | 12700K 4.7GHz | MSI RTX 4080 | 32GB 5600 MHz DDR5 | 500GB Samsung 860 Evo SSD | 2x 2TB Samsung 970 Evo M.2 | EVGA 850W Gold | Corsair 5000X | HP G2 (VR) / LG 27" 1440p |

I agree with Ryan. If the new GPS is as good as the info made it sound that will be a huge plus for XP10. I really didn't want to buy Reality XP for XP10....

I can't wait to try the Saab, that'll be the next one. For me right now its still FSX mostly but I believe XP10 and Prepar3d will coexist for me in the future

I also think that the new GPS can bring new life to X-Plane.

I complain about things in simulators that in real life wouldn't probably be so important to me if I flew prop aircraft and had to adhere, for instance, to IFR rules.

I usually am very picky about things like a proper turn-coordinator modelling ( inexistant in prcatically no FSX add-on, the same applying to X-Plane, and other simulators...), but when I talk for instance with Alec, who is now working in his IFR ticket, I understand how minor these details are when flying a real aircraft under such rules, sometimes even not being able to rely on some of the instruments.

I still find, though, that X-Plane 10 could really benefit from some update to the flight dynamics model, at least when it comes to prop effects, and still look forward to see that addressed by Austin, if not for 10.30, maybe for 10.40.

This being said, I agree with Larry's observations, but I also find FSX flight dynamics less than good even in the prop effects area, and that's why I am more and more spending my sim time in DCS, IL2 BOS, and even ELITE, where I find these aspects very well addressed for the various types of aircraft represented in those sims...

Main Simulation Rig:

Ryzen 5600x, 32GB RAM, Nvidia RTX 3060 Ti, 1 TB & 500 GB M.2 nvme drives, Win11.

Glider pilot since 1980...

Avid simmer since 1992...