Sign in to follow this  
ChaoticBeauty

Prepar3D 2.2 Released!

Orbx PNW and KSEA and downtown seattle area was definitely stressing my system but dang it sure looks good ... weather is ASN.

Come on SLi/Crossfire build ...  :biggrin:

Not at all. ONLY FSX and P3D does not take up that much space, it´s the add-ons that do. ALL released add-ons from ORBX (for FSX) take up the amount of about 150GB!!!! A few more add-ons and you will very fast bust the space on a 256GB SSD. I wonder what add-ons you have installed on your 128GB SSD with both FSX and P3D on it?

Well, I don't own a single piece of ORBX... but I own a lot of MegaScenery Earth... and it's all on it's own dedicated drive instead of being shoved into my FS install. Scenery should always be on it's own drive that isn't used by anything else... gives best performance.

Ed Wilson

Mindstar Aviation
My Playland - I69

Come on SLi/Crossfire build ... :biggrin:

Beautiful vid.  I, for one, would rather them focus on performance on a single card for a while.  SLI is cool but two cards is expensive!

Gregg Seipp

"A good landing is when you can walk away from the airplane.  A great landing is when you can reuse it."
i7-8700 32GB Ram, GTX-1070 8 Gig RAM

I, for one, would rather them focus on performance on a single card for a while.  SLI is cool but two cards is expensive!

That's single card performance "Focus" was DX11.  They've tackled the VAS successfully.  Now it's time to open the performance door - multi-GPU support is the best approach here but I'm sure there are a few other adjustments they can make to help out single card performance.  

Agree, if one's goal is enable all the visuals then this hobby/profession/training is going to take some financial commitment on the hardware front.

Cheers, Rob.

My wishlist for 2.3 would be:

• Even better lighting (light sources really cast light and light up any objects that come to them) system (X-Plane does look impressive in this regard).
  • To push the envelope further it would be most helpful if we could easiely scale the available rescources (like multiple computers/networked computers - one for the weather and AI-traffic air/ground/sea) and SLI/Crossfire and full support of multimonitor-setups.
  • Better water as I think this is the next big visual topic (again see what X-Plane can do).
  • Finally I hope that LM can reduce the VAS for buildings as much as for the vegetation as this would give additional headroom in urban areas.

IXEG 737 Beta-Tester and First Officer

i7 6700K@4.4GHz, 32GB RAM, Palit GTX 1080 GameRock Premium@2Ghz, Oculus Rift S, ButtKicker
X-Plane 11 latedt version on a Samsung M.2 SSD for speedy loading times

I took a quick flight over Concrete, PNW this morning in the Real Air Duke. Using Rob's settings and heavy cloud cover I had consistent 30-40 FPS and very smooth. Actually, my settings are a little different from Rob's. I am using 4x SGSS in NI (the Duke cockpit shimmers too much without it) and1920x1080 screen resolution, but everything else is the same. I have a 3570k at 4.3 and a 780 GPU. As Rob has noted, terrain shadow casting is a FPS killer. Mine dropped about 10 FPS with it enabled at the first level on the slider, but was still an acceptable 20-25 FPS. Still, I'm very happy at being able to run autogen at very dense, and the cloud shadows more than make up for my choice to disable terrain shadows. LM has done an amazing job, and I can't wait to see what 2.3 brings.

...Better water as I think this is the next big visual topic (again see what X-Plane can do).

Yes indeed!... this is the main area that V2.2 is lacking for me, in visual terms. It looks awful and out of keeping with all the other visual enhancements LM have added.

REX helps a little, but its not a transformation like you get in FSX when using new textures and animations... you don't have to play many games to realise how good the water should be in 2014.

AH HA!

Think I've found the source of my stuttering and killer cloud performance - there was an old Prepar3D profile in Nvidia Inspector.

Completely delete the P3D profile and now no stutters and killer clouds! :D

How can you fly without a profile? It's a jaggy ugly mess without some Supersampling in the profiler. And yes, I'm using 8x MSAA.

Where the heck is J Van E??

Probably too busy flying around Norway, grinning from ear to ear, to waste time posting on forums. 

This is really annoying me! I can't get V2.2 to OOM :mad:

I have installed ORBX PNW and Library, FSDreamTeam CYVR with 4096 textures, ASN and with all the setting maxed out with Horror story "I wouldn't go flying in that rainy stormy whether" getting only about 10 to 15 FPS I still cannot get this damn sim to OOM and it is surprisingly smooth for those FPS.

After 8 years of having plenty to get annoyed about, this having nothing to get annoyed about is very annoying and its going to take a long time before I get used to having nothing to get annoyed about. Maybe we can find a few things wrong with V2.2 so we have a little to get annoyed about and LM can gradually fix those things to wean us of being annoyed at our SIM all the time.

I will install the A2A C172 next and see it I cant get an OOM so I go post on the LM website that I am still getting OOM's

I have installed ORBX PNW and Library, FSDreamTeam CYVR with 4096 textures, ASN and with all the setting maxed out with Horror story "I wouldn't go flying in that rainy stormy whether" getting only about 10 to 15 FPS I still cannot get this damn sim to OOM and it is surprisingly smooth for those FPS.

What aircraft are you using?  Once you can throw the 777 and/or NGX at it in this same scenario, then let's see how well this works.  You could probably do this in FSX too with "light" aircraft.

Not trying to be negative or critical...I'm watching P3D very closely as a current FSX user and I'm seeing these "I can't get it to OOM" posts and it does sound exciting.  But, I just really wonder if it's because of the extra headroom you have now(obviously that helps) in 2.2 w/ the corrections they've made or if it's just simply the fact that you don't have anything really "heavy" to use yet for an aircraft in this sim.  Would be curious to know as I'm loving the 777 and it's such a shame that in FSX you have to compromise so much on the visuals to fly it.  Would be nice to have both but I just wonder if that will ever be possible in a 32-bit sim?

Regards,

Kevin LaMal

"Facts Don't Care About Your Feelings" - Shapiro2024

I can't believe some of the misleading posts and misinformation I'm reading!

Not only is P3D v2.2 more stable and "sorted" than FSX, unlike the latter it requires ZERO tweaking.

Coming from someone who just did the same - - post a misleading post, or at best a very optimistic view based on one person's experience. How can you speak for everyone else like that without being misleading yourself?

FYI, I HAVE to tweak it using NVIDIA Inspector or it's a jaggy mess, using 8x MSAA.

My wishlist for 2.3 would be:

• Even better lighting (light sources really cast light and light up any objects that come to them) system (X-Plane does look impressive in this regard).
  • To push the envelope further it would be most helpful if we could easiely scale the available rescources (like multiple computers/networked computers - one for the weather and AI-traffic air/ground/sea) and SLI/Crossfire and full support of multimonitor-setups.
  • Better water as I think this is the next big visual topic (again see what X-Plane can do).
  • Finally I hope that LM can reduce the VAS for buildings as much as for the vegetation as this would give additional headroom in urban areas.

I agree with all of these, especially the water needs lots of improvement. I have some suggestions for the future too.

One thing I would really like to see is tessellation for the aircraft, both exterior and interior. It would breathe new life to older models with lower polygon counts, the default Mooney Bravo for example: http://www.prepar3d.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/10/v2ExampleFog3On.jpg

Another thing that's really needed in my opinion is better multithreading for the AI and the aircraft systems/physics. It would be nice to be given the ability to max out the car/ship/boat traffic sliders, and you would no longer be CPU-limited with complex aircraft. They've already done a good job of moving vegetation autogen to background threads and the GPU, but the main thread is still hammered (DirectX 12 would also help with this).

One last thing, some kind of internal supersampling. It would be amazing if they offered a resolution scaling option like Battlefield 4 does, and it would create a bigger need for SLI/CrossFire support.

Hi Guys,

Well after extensive testing I can safely say that it is definitely cloud shadows that cause my performance issues.

I done a complete win 7 and P3D reinstall with no addons at all.

I can crank virtually every setting in P3D v2.2 to maximum and still achieve pretty fluid flight, but as soon as I activate cloud shadows (even at lowest setting) my performance drops through the floor and P3D turns into a juddering stuttering mess and MSI afterburner shows constant 100% GPU usage on my GTX 780.

I're also tried vastly reducing all my other settings to compensate but nothing seems to work - as soon as I activate any cloud shadows with a decent number of clouds in the sky my GPU usage goes to maximum and P3D tanks!

Obviously the amount of clouds and particular weather also contribute to this, but anything more that slightly broken cloud coverage renders P3D unsuable...shame as it looks so nice.

Can anyone recommend some Nvidia Inspector Settings that work well with v2.2

Thanks

MSFS & XP11 - Aviatek G1000 Complex Desktop Trainer - Fulcrum One Yoke - TPR Rudder Pedals - VF TQ6 Throttle - LG 55" OLED Display