Sign in to follow this  
tutmeister

R9 290 4gb?

Hi all,

Anyone using an r9 290 4gb?

Currently using a 7850 2gb with an i5 at 4.8ghz and a 3 screen 6048x1200 eyefinity setup. If I max everything I get 5-7 fps and if I balance everything middle to high I get 30-40 fps using orbx, asn and a2a aircraft.

Looking for an upgrade and the 290 seems to go very well in benchmarks and beats most things. The 4gb will come in handy and it won't have the aa issues that nvidia have. Seems a bargain at just over £300 but obviously no benchmarks are done using prepar3d so although it's great for most dx11 games it's hard to work out how it goes in prepar3d. Have also seen 4k benchmarks using it and it gives the Titan a run for its money too.

Would be good to hear from anyone out there using one.

Thanks

Chris

I am curious too...kinda seems like the card to get!!

Simon

I don't have this card, but I keep up to date with gpu development. From what I've read, this is simply a fantastic card, and that 4gb onboard memory will do you only good in P3D. And the AMD cards are doing very well in P3D. Personally I highly recommend it.

Personally I highly recommend it.

How can you possibly highly recommend it when you don't own the card much less run it under P3D v2.2?  The Op was requesting "anyone out there using one."

Valid statement Appliance. I've had only Radeons until this GTX770 I bought a few months ago. I used three different Radeon models with FSX, not P3D, and they performed super (always with the latest drivers).

I'm a bit of a fanatic when it comes to graphics cards, and read and study a lot on their features and performance on different engines and API's, and the R9 290 is truly a magnificent card per various hardware sites and benchmarks, including user forums. Some users of the 280x also made positive comments about its performance and image quality on this very site's P3D forum. Given the 290's enhanced architecture against that of the "older" architecture of the 280, I made my conclusion. But yes, you are correct, it's only my conclusion, haven't tested the card on P3D.

I have a R9 280 with 3Gb and am very happy with it in Prepar3d 2.2.  Depending where you fly, frame rates are very good with very high settings.   More important, smooth as silk.

I just changed an hour ago from a XFX7850 to a Sapphire R9 290 4GB. Not tested troughout, but with the same settings it aprroximatly tripples my frames. Heavy cockpits like the iFly 737 benefit not much, as far as I can see. But overall much smoother and the AA is better...Runing @ 5095x1050. I will invest the extra-power in further out drawn cloud shadows.

I always found the AA on AMD cards better then Nvidia in FSX. I had a 6950 for a while.

Only reason I went to a 570 was cloud performance.

I have R9 290 and i recommend it, but only custom cooling solution card. They are quite and very fast not only P3D but other games too.

9900k@5GHz, 32GB@3200 RAM, Strix RTX 2080ti, VKB Gladiator mkii, VKB rudder pedals 

..but...it...DID perform better.  :unknw:

The only issue the 290X ever had was that the reference cooler was...not so great.

Titan might out OC a 290X, but even that is splitting hairs.

In any case they are extremely close in performance, so close I'm not even really sure why you went there. Either card* is a great choice and will push a serious amount of pixels.

* 780ti is a better choice than Titan for gaming, simply because for the lower price all you lose is compute performance but...yeah w/e.

Regards,

Brian Doney

Pretty sure the r9 290 is the way to go over nvidia as the 780 has less VRAM, costs more and doesn't perform as well. The question is, is it worth £400 for the 290X as I can get a 4gig xfx 290 for £315 which doesn't use the reference cooler?

Pretty sure the r9 290 is the way to go over nvidia as the 780 has less VRAM, costs more and doesn't perform as well. The question is, is it worth £400 for the 290X as I can get a 4gig xfx 290 for £315 which doesn't use the reference cooler?

If it were me ? I'd go with the 290 non-X.

The difference is just too small to be worth such an increase in price, but then, that's always how the flagship cards are, with 2nd place almost always being the better value.

It will also be cheaper to double up, should you ever decide to try crossfire once LM bring in support.

Regards,

Brian Doney

Ahhhh  Jee-wizz  B) ....

April 20th is my anniversary for having quit smoking 13 years ago 

Every year at this time... I get to splurge without thought as a reward. Is it a new 29-er Mountain Bike or a new 290 videocard? Or both heck Im fluid (yet poor).

I also reward myself with three months holidays in the summer lately.

Only 7 days to go, maybe this year I will pre-empt? :rolleyes:

I already have an HD7970 3G (a previous  April 20th reward)

so is it worth the upgrade?

Or maybe a trip to Paris?

allen