Sign in to follow this  
scandinavian13

Weather Radar - video previews by Kyle Rodgers and FrooglePete

I've been running ASN as an instance and have it up on a second monitor. Process Explorer reports very low processor demand and of course there is no impact on FSX VAS. I also load an instance of AivlaSoft EFB on a third monitor with the same effect to overall system performance. Of course you'll need at least 8Gb of RAM to handle all of the background applications but P/E helps figure out the hit to FSX.

What is the effect of the wx on FSX VAS? I use MegaSceneryEarth which does ring it up pretty quickly. If I have to choose between cockpit reality versus out the window reality, I usually go with cockpit, especially at FL370 where you can't see the ground anyhow! Truth be told though, we won't see real performance gains until someone upgrades FS to 64 bit. All in all this is a real game changer for FSX, on par with VRS 's TacPac. I love it - all you have to say is "it can't be done" and voila - it happens.  Great work and great cooperation. 

Does the weather RADAR project a cone out the front, and does it simulate ground clutter as well at longer ranges? What about shadowing? I didn't see that in the video.

Best regards,

Robin.

Best place to get current info on the ASN product is ASN.... neither ground clutter nor shadowing is implemented per their website. In my opinion, these features would have required much more processing resource than benefits realized and it was a feature/performance tradeoff. 

Dan Downs KCRP

Hi,

All the details about how ASN wx radar functionality is provided are documented in the ASN API document (part of the installation of ASN). A quick response to some of these points (at least the part that is ASN related). 

- Project a cone = Yes (including earth curvature simulation affecting the radar's ability to detect signals)

- Ground clutter = No (on ASN side, by may be implemented by the aircraft devs at some point, because they keep the terrain database). In any case the real WXR-2100 has a filter for ground clutter that is on by default, so the current implementation seems to be adequate for now.

- Echo shadows = Currently no (on ASN side), but we'll work on it. 

As Ryan (Tabs) said, this is the first step and it will only keep getting better

Kostas Terzides

devteam_bannerA.png

1/2 of the talk on this post is way over my head.  I am wondering does  the weather radar work off default FSX weather, or will I need other add-ons.

Paul Gugliotta

or will I need other add-ons.

As mentioned in both videos, and many of the posts here: you need ASN.

Kyle Rodgers

OK thanks, I have REX installed.  I see that you can have ASN and REX installed simultaneously with no conflicts.  I guess I need to get ASN now.

Paul Gugliotta

Folks,

Since the weather radar is working in the Ifly 737, I have gone back to it for the last couple of months.  Yes, it is just like real life weather radar. Now, I hunt for bad weather flights.  

Cheers,

JFriz

Im proud to say this is the most realistic addon of all time.I just bought my PMDG 777-200 And 300 and im happy with my purchase.SP1 is looking awesome

good day all, I purchased the 777-300er  I currently own asn2012 and using it no problem now my issue is with the new weather radar with pmdg  everything  is fine right

up until returns I get no returns on the display I use auto mode manual mode I tilt up and down use the gain button and no return and this is flying in stormy weather. anyone who could help would be greatly appreciated thanks

Michael R Carangelo

...I currently own asn2012... ... I get no returns on the display...

I think you own "AS2012" (Active Sky 2012) but you need to have ASN (Active Sky Next)...

But you normally can upgrade from AS2012 to ASN...

Greetings,

Claus

Hi all

Can anybody help me figure out why my weather radar does not work with active sky next (trial version)?

The funny thing is that I see clouds when Asn IS NOT RUNNING and the clouds on the radar disappear when I run ASN!! What weather setting should we use in FSX built-in weather engine? And where can we generate cloudy and turbulence weather that is importable in ASN??

Cheers all.

And where can we generate cloudy and turbulence weather that is importable in ASN??

Weather radar does not show clouds.

It shows precipitation.

Kyle Rodgers

Thank you,

I know that, just a way of talking but can there be precipitation without clouds? I don't think so.

will we be able to use fsgrw with the pmdg 777-300er radar  on the future or is it only to be used exclusively with ASN?

Thanks