Sign in to follow this  
scandinavian13

Weather Radar - video previews by Kyle Rodgers and FrooglePete

A few notes that you should read before watching the following video:

1. I mention in the video that the radar depiction lags behind your manual changes.  The real unit updates in real time, but this unit does lag slightly because it needs to query ASN for the data, which introduces a slight delay in comparison.
  2. The default level of gain will be increased between now and the SP1 release to more accurately match the default depiction of the real unit.  The current depiction isn't showing as much of the yellow band and green band as it should.

Note:

Significantly more lag can be picked up by running ASN networked.  Part of this is just inherent in the fact that the data needs to travel through another medium before getting to and from your simulator.  If you're on wireless, this can increase your latency.  I've been working with HiFi to help to eliminate this (in addition to my networked ASN install not triggering rain at all, for some reason), and I know the team has been working closely with HiFi on a number of things.

Honestly, as someone who's used a networked setup for a number of years with my simulator, I would argue that moving back over would be more beneficial if you're running a multi-core rig.  As we all know, FSX doesn't utilize the various cores effectively.  If you're using a multi-core machine, running ASN isn't going to affect your machine noticeably.  I moved over in order to test ASN local versus networked, particular to the weather radar, and noticed that my weather issues have gone away without a performance hit.  Just something to consider while you're waiting.

I know there's a lot of text above this, but if you skipped it, please go back and read it.

Seriously.

Okay, here's what you've been waiting for:

EDIT BY RYAN:

Guys I have to put on the dunce cap for a bit here - FrooglePete who you all know actually made a radar video a while back that completely slipped my mind when I told Kyle to go ahead and post his this morning. Pete had been waiting for my ok to post it. Here is his video as well:

========

Another video preview to follow Kyles. I'll caveat mine as well. I say around 2:10 (and annotated it to correct it) that the radar can have a problem picking up weather immediately around the aircraft. That's not quite true. In this video it did because the gain was too low, but as you see yourself as the video progresses it picks up the rain just fine.

Kyle Rodgers

DAT surprise doe...

Thanks Kyle!

Question, are there any ways to use rotary knobs on your joystick to control the radar panel?

David Zambrano, CFII, CPL, IGI

I know there's a lot of money in aviation because I put it there. 

BetaTeamD.png

Question, are there any ways to use rotary knobs on your joystick to control the radar panel?

Not sure.  Then again, I haven't seen what's possible in the SDK.

Not sure why you'd want to, though.  It's not like you're going to be messing with the radar in a very hands-on environment where you'd need that quick access.  Looking down and messing with it via mouse wheel or clicks should be good enough.

Kyle Rodgers

Nice video, Kyle, and thanks. As a beta tester for ASN's development, I'm so stoked about its application now as a component of a weather radar integrated into such great FSX aircraft.

Wayne Klockner
United Virtual

BetaTeamB.png

Not sure.  Then again, I haven't seen what's possible in the SDK.

Not sure why you'd want to, though.  It's not like you're going to be messing with the radar in a very hands-on environment where you'd need that quick access.  Looking down and messing with it via mouse wheel or clicks should be good enough.

The radar control panel knobs/switches will be assignable to keypresses within the FMC options - you could use FSUIPC or LINDA or whatever to bind those to buttons if you wanted. The radar settings aren't really something you constantly change though - there's specific settings that are best to use during each phase of flight - we'll go over those in the manual. The unit has an automatic mode that adjusts the tilt for you to the Boeing-prescribed optimal values during each phase of flight as well. For most people this will be sufficient for most situations.

Ryan Maziarz
devteam.jpg

For fastest support, please submit a ticket at http://support.precisionmanuals.com

i see that the fo's pnd is showing terr displayed with a new feature of radar sweep as shown in the wxr radar........... nice improvement for realism

kav

Thanks Kyle!

Thanks PMDG and HiFi for making it as real as it gets !!!

Cheers Jan 
5800X3D | Asus Strix 3080TI OC | 32GB G.Skill RipJaws | 1T + 250GB Samsung 960 Evo | Windows 10 | MSFS

Looks good Kyle!! :smile:

Regards,

Dave Opper

HiFi Support Manager

Supportteam_BannerA.png

Thanks for sharing, Kyle!

I am already wondering how it will be like looking at the "LWR CTR" screen while using the WXR's knobs and buttons inside "my" Nvidia-3D-Vision2+TrackIR5 setup B)

The "LWR CTR" screen has the advantage of being closest to the WXR panel, making it possible to have both devices at one glance (I hope)...

Thanks again Kyle for presenting the WXR, finally a reality at PMDG :db: 

Greetings,

Claus :p0317:

That's a funky looking radar. Can't wait!

Looks awesome!

One question: Is "Path attenuation compensation" (PAC) alert simulated?

Thanks in advance!