Sign in to follow this  
IguazuFalls

GSX: a must-have for the PMDG 777?

Hi all,

Having seen now quite a few screenshots and YouTube vids about GSX, I'm still a little undecided if it's a worthwhile investment that really adds to the level of realism of the PMDG 777.

If I compare it with AES though, GSX seems to be the (much) better deal with regard to FSX ground ops.

What are your thoughts? Is GSX an essential add-on for the PMDG 777?

Best regards,

Paul

Help AVSIM continue to serve you!
Please donate today!

I love GSX. Works on every airport in FSX and brings a bit more realism to your aircraft. :)

GSX doesn't add to the realism. It adds eye-candy.

So it's not a must-have, but I like it a lot. It's also useful, for example, to guide you to your gate after landing at an unfamiliar airport.

• Upvote 1

They could've called it FS Pushback X, asked the same amount of money for it, and none of the users would've complained ;-)

Don't waste your time and get it.  Your simulator life will change from then on... you just have to see it your self.  One thing I love about it is, perfect pushback and the guidance to the gate, it's just flawless... anyways, if you don't get it, you'll be missing out on alot.  It's worth every penny in my honest opinion.  If you have FSDT scenery, you can try it at their airports at no cost to see if you like it.  Just download and install, but you have to use it at the airport with FSDT scenery.  Good luck.

The only problem I had was that the cargo loader could not extend enough to reach the main cargo level of the 777F.  I found a file of updated GSX vehicles posted in their forum that fixed that problem. It really is a great add-on!

IF you have time to wait for the different services (catering, refueling...) and enjoy the aircraft view while on the ground then you can consider GSX or AES.

GSX: you pay only one time and the product works on all airports but you don't have the jetways features

AES: has the jetways features but you have to buy credits to operate the services on airports. The bigger the airport, the more credits you need. Big airport = 5 credits. A pack of 10 credits = 15 euros. 

IF you spend more time in the virtual cockpit and eye-candy is not essential to you, then GSX/AES is NOT a must-have but a nice-have.

My experience: I got AES and bought 2 credits packs 2 weeks ago. Nice to see the animations in the beginning... but in the end it's always the same, time consuming and not so essential. At this moment I am learning cold and dark power up and I spend time in the cockpit. I don't have time to watch and manage the ground services. The PMDG 777 built-in push-back features (with voice communication between the captain and ground) is enough immersive to me. Plus during pushback I am busy with starting the engines so I don't use the aircraft view. Also AES pushes you to buy more and more credits and I don't like that philosophy. I prefer to save my money for airports. So in the end I decided to delete AES from my PC.

...Plus during pushback I am busy with starting the engines so I don't use the aircraft view...

That's exactly why GSX pushback feature is useful. You do not have to worry where the aircraft is going (GSX will push it to centerline perfectly), so you can concentrate on engines start and correct flow.

AES does it too.

But it's not the end of the world if you do not land right on the centerline after the pushback.

And most of the time I start from the same gate on each of my favourite airports so with experience I know how many feets and degrees I have to type in FS Actions > Pushback of the PMDG 777 to land on an acceptable location.

Two things I wish GSX would do in addition to pushing back the aircraft are 1)tow aircraft into gate and 2) tow aircraft to a designated area . Nevertheless, the software is a awesome.

AES does it too.

But it's not the end of the world if you do not land right on the centerline after the pushback.

And most of the time I start from the same gate on each of my favourite airports so with experience I know how many feets and degrees I have to type in FS Actions > Pushback of the PMDG 777 to land on an acceptable location.

The main difference I see between  aes  and  gsx is  that gsx works on every fsx airport where as aes  doesnt

Let's not forget GSX has a free Demo available from FSDT website.

• Upvote 1

+1 - Worth it for the pushback function alone.  Pushback works with all planes so is def worth the cash.

However FS2CREW is coming out with a pushback program, so that will be, indeed, very interesting.

I use it for the pushback alone (though only at PHX and IAD, because it comes with those airports from FlightBeam).

Honestly, as a former rampie, I find most of the features to be rather disappointing:

The marshalling is atrocious.  It even has the gall to criticize you on your parking job, which, even if you're perfectly on the line and hash, it still gives you a hard time for some reason.  Additionally, if you follow the marshal perfectly, you're still somehow not right (hint: the reason a marshal is on the ground marshalling is to assist the crew in putting the plane on the lines...if the plane is off, it's usually the fault of the marshal).  The ramp times are painfully off (fueling takes forever, as does boarding and de-boarding passengers...or "sheeple" as we called them).  That whole feature is cool for screenshots, but not much else.  Even only flying as a passenger, you should have a better notion of ramp times than has been exhibited by the developer.  I won't criticize too much, though, because as mentioned, the pushback feature is about as magical as unicorns and my signature's rainbows.

It would be nice to be able to customize those times, though...

I use it for the pushback alone (though only at PHX and IAD, because it comes with those airports from FlightBeam).

Honestly, as a former rampie, I find most of the features to be rather disappointing:

The marshalling is atrocious.  It even has the gall to criticize you on your parking job, which, even if you're perfectly on the line and hash, it still gives you a hard time for some reason.  Additionally, if you follow the marshal perfectly, you're still somehow not right (hint: the reason a marshal is on the ground marshalling is to assist the crew in putting the plane on the lines...if the plane is off, it's usually the fault of the marshal).  The ramp times are painfully off (fueling takes forever, as does boarding and de-boarding passengers...or "sheeple" as we called them).  That whole feature is cool for screenshots, but not much else.  Even only flying as a passenger, you should have a better notion of ramp times than has been exhibited by the developer.  I won't criticize too much, though, because as mentioned, the pushback feature is about as magical as unicorns and my signature's rainbows.

I agree with the marshalling! It's pathetic! Sometimes the follow me car gets 'confused' and takes you round and round the airport. But you can change the fuelling and boarding/de-boarding time to as low as 10 secs so I don't see it as a problem.

Hi captains,

Kyle, which of both (AES or GSX) are you referring to? Many years now using AES and all features timing are customizable. No idea about GSX.

But you can change the fuelling and boarding/de-boarding time to as low as 10 secs so I don't see it as a problem.

Really?  My fault.  I guess I should've run a little deeper in to the options.  If it's customizable, that helps.  Is it customizable by aircraft type, though...?

Kyle, which of both (AES or GSX) are you referring to? Many years now using AES and all features timing are customizable. No idea about GSX.

Good question.  I should have been more specific/direct.  I'm referring to GSX.

Oh Kyle, should you have read the manual? I jest, I jest :) in the options you set a per passenger time. I don't recall off the top of my head if you can customise per aircraft.

I don't think you can change those times by aircraft but you can change them by fuel amount and number of passengers. Which is pretty much same as customising by aircraft.

[image]

Boom!  Look at that!  I'll have to look into that when I get home.  Thanks!

Oh Kyle, should you have read the manual? I jest, I jest :) in the options you set a per passenger time. I don't recall off the top of my head if you can customise per aircraft.

I don't even recall ever running off in search of it.  I think I just relied too much on the FlightBeam stuff simply because GSX is part of those airports, and I didn't buy GSX specifically for GSX.  Looks like I have some reading to do!

I don't think you can change those times by aircraft but you can change them by fuel amount and number of passengers. Which is pretty much same as customising by aircraft.

Actually, per passenger makes a lot more sense, along with the rest of the metrics I see in that screenshot by Lj.

So of you get GSX you are not using PMDG's built-in ground operations menu any longer? Or how do both interact? Can you leave e.g. fueling to PMDG and boarding / deboarding to GSX? Can you switch off marshalling as everyone here seems to agree that this function is not realistic?

So of you get GSX you are not using PMDG's built-in ground operations menu any longer?

Yes and no.

GSX can give you the visuals.  PMDG's ground ops actually interacts with the aircraft.

Or how do both interact?

They don't.  You can try to coordinate it, but I don't personally find it worth it.  The PMDG version has a little more utility.  GSX's is just eye candy.

Can you leave e.g. fueling to PMDG and boarding / deboarding to GSX?

Kind of.  You can run both functions, though GSX does require the various doors to be open and closed before bags get added/removed (though PMDG's times are a little more accurate to the real plane, and the GSX stuff can be made to fit in that window if you're clever).

Can you switch off marshalling as everyone here seems to agree that this function is not realistic?

I'm not sure.