Sign in to follow this  
Tom Allensworth

"Microsoft Sells License to FS Franchise" Part 2

Aerosoft News still hasn't published anything on the topic for days now...

Maybe they are under an NDA, working in partnership, or lost on a bid.

It is strange. Mattijs is usually quick to respond to significant industry developments. I find their silence odd

I was surprised how many folks were horrified it might be Dovetail. I love their RR products, and hope they can expand their thinking to encompass flight sims. I hope that their target audience will be wide enough to allow the masses and the hard-core guys to co-exist.

If it is them  

I take it you never tried to use their support?

Or bought any of the large number of their DLC products which no longer work, and they've shown no signs of fixing.

Or bought any of their DLC which has been superceded with a version which has been fixed, leaving you to either buy it again, or not use it.

Or bought any of their DLC which is sold at a price point of $15-20 per repaint

Dovetail are a horrible company that are in it purely for the money, with no regard for supporting problems, fixing bugs or even keeping existing customers happy.

I take it you never tried to use their support?

Or bought any of the large number of their DLC products which no longer work, and they've shown no signs of fixing.

Or bought any of their DLC which has been superceded with a version which has been fixed, leaving you to either buy it again, or not use it.

Or bought any of their DLC which is sold at a price point of $15-20 per repaint

Dovetail are a horrible company that are in it purely for the money, with no regard for supporting problems, fixing bugs or even keeping existing customers happy.

Gosh. You sure told me!

- Bill Magann

It is strange. Mattijs is usually quick to respond to significant industry developments. I find their silence odd

Not strange at all. It's no secret Aerosoft has been looking for a way to build their own simulator. So I have no doubt they were one of the contenders to buy FS. Tom's hint though, that it's someone who doesn't have direct knowledge of our industry, pretty much rules them out, as they obviously do. Win or lose they wouldn't be in a position that they can talk about it, until it's made public.

Thanks

Tom

My Youtube Videos!

http://www.youtube.com/user/tf51d

Good God!!.....this is an amazing thread! It is like watching a train crash over and over. I have just purchased the last case of jiffy pop in Pensacola fl and six pallets of coke. I predict that when this is all said and done......we are going to be right back to the same place we were. The shoot um up bang bang guys will love the deal and those of us who have gone The P3D route will either not like the deal or like most of us just ignore the whole ball of crap and go fly. I really don't think that all of this is going to lead us to the promise land nor will it cause us to take a fire Ax to our current set ups. I hate myself for it but I just keep on hitting refresh and eating popcorn. I do love a good train crash!! crunch....crunch...no not the train, it's the popcorn :clapping:

Sam

Prepar3D V5.3/12700K@5.1/EVGA 3080 TI/1000W PSU/Windows 10/40" 4K Samsung@3840x2160/ASP3D/ASCA/ORBX/
ChasePlane/General Aviation/Honeycomb Alpha+Bravo/MFG Rudder Pedals/

I have just purchased the last case of jiffy pop in Pensacola fl and six pallets of coke. I predict that when this is all said and done......

You will have type 2 diabetes and enough caffeine in your body to keep you awake until the LDS 757 is released  :P

Good God!!.....this is an amazing thread! It is like watching a train crash over and over.

:lol: :lol: :lol:

Good God!!.....this is an amazing thread! It is like watching a train crash over and over.

This is the calm before the storm. After the buyer is announced the opinions, speculations, and demands will really start flying. Better go back to the store and get some more. :biggrin:

Ted

3770k@4.5 ghz, Noctua C12P CPU air cooler, Asus Z77, 2 x 4gb DDR3 Corsair 2200 mhz cl 9, EVGA 1080ti, Sony 55" 900E TV 3840 x 2160, Windows 7-64, FSX, P3dv3, P3dv4

Once the Announcement is made, pretty sure AVSIM is going to crash from the onslaught. 

This is the calm before the storm. After the buyer is announced the opinions, speculations, and demands will really start flying. Better go back to the store and get some more. :biggrin:

Ted

Ted Striker!! Man this is like meeting Luke Skywalker......You have be my role model for years!!!

Sam

Prepar3D V5.3/12700K@5.1/EVGA 3080 TI/1000W PSU/Windows 10/40" 4K Samsung@3840x2160/ASP3D/ASCA/ORBX/
ChasePlane/General Aviation/Honeycomb Alpha+Bravo/MFG Rudder Pedals/

Ted Striker!! Man this is like meeting Luke Skywalker......You have be my role model for years!!!

And that was the beginning of his drinking problem...

Quite a thread. :lol:

Myself, I wouldn't be all that saddened to see someone try an honest attempt at restarting MS Flight, opening it up to third party developers, and seeing what happens.  I do recall being very impressed by the few default planes in Flight.  I also recall a few flights taken in the Maule during thunderstorms where it was made obvious that a small plane has no business being in the air in such... it was quite well done, considering that it was all 'default'.

Thoughts, after having read all these pages of comments:

• If it is a 'gamer' or 'masses' -centric company that licenses the former Flight title in hopes of rebranding / mass marketing it, this can only lead to an increase in new simmers.  Even if the new release is on console, who's to say that it won't result in a few more 15 or 16 year-olds who see something they love, and look deeper into more serious aspects of simulation?
  • Use of the FS license is no worse than non-use of the license.  Even if it gets totally turned into garbage by a company who refuses to allow any third party DLC, how are we worse off than before?  Worst case scenario is that nothing will happen, in which case we're stuck with the very same choices we have right now.
  • While I doubt that this new license agreement will include MS shutting down the FSX activation servers, every single person who buys software dependent on such an activation scheme has to be aware that at some point in the future their software will cease to function.
  • While it's true that certain game companies get overly greedy with the cost of DLC, this is definitely one area that caters to a more select group, which is probably very well represented on this forum and a few others. While you might convince a few hundred thousand people to purchase a game at release, you'll likely only convince a portion of that number to spend additional money on that game.  And of those individuals, you'll likely only convince a much smaller percentage to spend thousands. Now, we're all of a sudden talking about a group who is likely going to be very aware of choice in the form of other sims.  No-one is going to be forced into buying over-priced DLC, since we all know there's other options that exist.  After all, if repaints were to cost $20 a piece, and somehow FSX magically wouldn't start up any longer, I think I could handle switching to a different platform. ^_^

Nothing about this is going to cause the world to end.

Jim Stewart

Milviz Person.