Sign in to follow this  
scotchegg

Alaska mountains in XP10

This sim is starting to be quite a looker!

OvXBm.jpg

7Kq.jpg

6u8nG.jpg

9KJpr.jpg

v0kEg.jpg

vlxBG.jpg

Ltgch.jpg

Help AVSIM continue to serve you!
Please donate today!

I agree, with Carenado planes and all that freeware scenery, X-Plane 10 is starting to look really good.

Wow that looks amazing!!! What add-ons are you using to achieve that? I'm starting to fall in love with X-Plane all over again. I haven't even touched P3D for months now. X-Plane is really shaping up to be the next gen flight sim for me. Is that the new Carenado CT206H?

I'm assuming those are the default X-Plane clouds, since I am seeing cloud shadows? SMP doesn't support cloud shadows, am I right?

Yes it's the Carenado. The only significant addon for the shots other than the plane is the Real Terra Haze lua scripts (not clouds or water - don't like them so much) with a few extra atmosphere tweaks cobbled together from Pascal.

http://forums.x-plane.org/index.php?app=downloads&showfile=22387

Yes, clouds are default. Unfortunately it looks like SMP simply won't be able to put shadows in. Anyway the default clouds are getting a bit more attractive recently, if still a bit frames heavy with higher AA.

Scotchegg are your screenshots from XP 10.30b5? It looks amazing, kind of shocked that those are default clouds. 

Can you please share your atmospheric tweaks that you got from pascal? I would love to give it a try. If you don't mind.

Thanks in advance! 

I use the RTH_atmos scripts from the package above plus the following in a separate text file:

set( "sim/private/controls/clouds/cloud_shadow_lighten_ratio",       0.9000 )
set( "sim/private/controls/lights/bloom_far", 3000.00 ) 
set( "sim/private/controls/lights/bloom_near", 120.00 )
set( "sim/private/controls/lights/mix_big", 80.000 ) 
set( "sim/private/controls/lights/mix_small", 25.00) 
set( "sim/private/controls/lights/bloom_for_zoom", 0.60) 
set( "sim/private/controls/shadow/scenery_shadows", 1.00) 
set( "sim/private/controls/clouds/limit_far",  0.500000)

Definitely looks better than anything for the other sim in terms of cloud rendering, at least to me and as far as stratified clouds go.

When it comes to convective, highly developed clouds, XP10 still misses it...

Yes it's the Carenado. The only significant addon for the shots other than the plane is the Real Terra Haze lua scripts (not clouds or water - don't like them so much) with a few extra atmosphere tweaks cobbled together from Pascal.

http://forums.x-plane.org/index.php?app=downloads&showfile=22387

Yes, clouds are default. Unfortunately it looks like SMP simply won't be able to put shadows in. Anyway the default clouds are getting a bit more attractive recently, if still a bit frames heavy with higher AA.

You say significant add-ons are just the scripts, are you not using photo real scenery too? I'd say that's a pretty significant to the look you have achieved - Unless of course X-Plane's textures got snow in a recent update?

No photo-scenery although I should have mentioned of course HDmesh2 is used. I think the snow and ice textures have been changed a bit in 10.3... but all textures are default.

Great sim, great plane, stunning shots ! :Applause:

Really nice. With the Simheaven ZL17 and W2XP this sim has hands down the most convincing landscapes now.

Your screenshots made me realize how I miss cloud shadows so much that I removed SkyMaxxPro. Finally got RealTerraHaze installed and didn't know why I didn't use it sooner. Was using the 4 lua scripts before from Tom I think. But I think I prefer RTH now and I like how you can see the changes in realtime when adjusting! So beautifully stunning.

Thanks for your extra settings, I will give those a try. I guess with RTH, I also don't need MaxxFX since it can also change the colors and overall look of the sim as well?

also could you tell me which airport you departed from in those screenshots. I would like to test this out.

Yeah it's a real shame about SMP as the clouds are amazing, but the shadows just add so much to the realism of the sim. I haven't got MaxxXP so can't really comment on that.

Think the airport was Drift River and just headed North from there to the mountains.

Amazing shots!

If only they'd fix the *bleeping* altitude visibility problem!

(I'll come back to XP when they eventually do)

nice set of shots, and illustrates a sense of realism.